What's new

Memorable film scores on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if these are within the last twenty years, but I've always like the scores to The Man from Snowy River and Somewhere in Time. And even though they've been mentioned, I'll second (or third) The Natural, Gettysburg, and Dances With Wolves.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
My favorite scores would be in no particular order:

The Rock
American Beauty
Braveheart
Pearl Harbor
Die Hard
Back to the Future
Jurassic Park
The Perfect Storm
Superman
Unbreakable
Chasing Amy
Sleepy Hollow
Speed
Halloween
Apollo 13
Jaws

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I didn't look up who scored it, but I know the principal melody is the Paganini Rhapsody by Sergei Rachmaninoff. If you like that, you will probably like his Piano Concertos and Symphonies as well. In fact, you will probably recognize some melodies in those as well. Very nice stuff.

I know someone else mentioned Titus, but I sure wish some other will see it, if only for the score.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Several people have already mentioned Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream, which is far and away my favorite score. Mansell also did the score for Pi, which I consider nearly as good. I'm surprised no one else mentioned it.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
how about

Chariots of Fire by Vangelis
Once Upon A Time In America by Ennio Morricone

plus lots of others

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
the principal melody is the Paganini Rhapsody by Sergei Rachmaninoff. If you like that, you will probably like his Piano Concertos and Symphonies as well.
Thanks, John. I will definitely look into Rachmaninoff. John Barry scored Somewhere in Time, and when I looked at the soundtrack again I noticed that one of the tracks was indeed "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini."

Shaun

Second Unit
These are my picks.

James Horner - Cocoon, Krull, Glory, Legends of the Fall, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, The Rocketeer, Willow, Man Without A Face, A Beautiful Mind, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Titanic, Ransom, Courage Under Fire, Casper, Aliens.

Hans Zimmer - Gladiator, The Thin Red Line, Black Hawk Down, The Peacemaker, Crimson Tide, Backdraft, Pearl Harbor.

Thomas Newman - The Shawshank Redemption, Little Women, The Horse Whisperer, Meet Joe Black, Road to Perdition.

John Barry - Dances With Wolves, My Life, Chaplin, Somewhere in Time, Out of Africa.

Randy Edelman - Dragon The Bruce Lee Story, Dragonheart, Last of the Mohicans, Gettysburg, Daylight.

John Debney - Cutthroat Island.

Trevor Jones - Merlin, Dark City, Last of the Mohicans.

Georges Delerue - Joe Vs The Volcano, Steel Magnolias, Curly Sue. A Little Romance, Platoon.

Danny Elfman - Batman, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Spider-Man, The Family Man.

James Newton Howard - Dinosaur, Unbreakable, Signs, Waterworld.

Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings: FOTR, Lord of the Rings: TT.

Klaus Badelt - The Time Machine.

Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Robocop, Starship Troopers, Hunt for Red Ocober.

David Arnold - Independence Day, Stargate.

Alan Silvestri - Forrest Gump, Contact, Back to the Future Trilogy.

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek The Motion Picture, Star Trek V Final Frontier, Poltergeist, The Rambo Trilogy, Legend, Supergirl, Explorers, Gremlins 1-2, The Burbs, Total Recall, Rudy, The Shadow, First Knight, Powder, The Edge, Air Force One, Mulan, Small Soldiers, 13th Warrior, The Mummy.

John Williams - Pretty much anything he writes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The theme that is most recognizable from Somewhere in Time is from that, but be aware that the Paganini Rhapsody is 20+ minutes long and has a lot of other stuff as well. If you like that style, and don't have an aversion to Classical, Rachmanoniff's 2nd Piano Concerto and 2nd Symphony are sure to please you. Also, since Rachmaninoff was Russian, there are several different ways his name is spelled, so don't get thrown off.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Some of James Horner's work is good, when he is not copying himself. Some of his best work:

James Horner:

-Star Trek II: TWoK
-Aliens
-Glory
-Braveheart

Hans Zimmer:

-The Prince of Egypt (his best)
-Black Hawk Down

John Williams:

-The Empire Strikes Back (best Star Wars score)
-Born On The 4th Of July (probably his best and most unheard score)
-Superman
-JFK

Alan Silvestri:

-Predator
-Back to the Future

A few other mentions:

Unforgiven (Lennie Niehaus)
Godfather Trilogy (Nino Rota)

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
OK, it's not on DVD, but it will be soon. I loved John Williams' score for Catch Me if You Can.

Another of my favorites (besides many of the ones already mentioned) is The Red Violin. I had to look up the composer on my CD: John Corigliano. Great movie, great score.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
A truly great list of score soundtracks. I would like to add a couple of my favorites -- Born on the Fourth of July with some very haunting trumpet solos, and Wyatt Earp and The Untouchables with great theme music.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Tears Of The Sun - Hans.

POOne like days of glory!

James Miranda

Auditioning
My faves in order:

Lee Holdridge: The Beastmaster

John Williams: Star Wars (pick any film, Superman (I or II)

Ennio Morricone: The Mission

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks