What's new

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
It wasn't a flicker, the picture pulsed. See my post just above.

I can corroborate what Johnny Angell says, and a YouTube search will confirm it beyond all doubt. The effect in the original broadcast was much, much more impressive than what we find in these 35-year-old recordings on YouTube. But I should underline, VISIDEP was no substitute for the honest-to-goodness stereoscopic 3-D video we enjoy today.

VISIDEP might be considered a cousin of sorts to field sequential or frame sequential 3-D, but it definitely "wobbled" or "pulsed" and did not flicker. The field sequential systems I've owned presented two images that appeared to be superimposed. It sometimes appeared to the naked eye that the two images were present simultaneously, though of course this was an illusion. VISIDEP allowed its two images to rock back and forth, back and forth, not unlike the still GIFs Bob sometimes presents to show off a given moment in a new 3-D restoration.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
That review is a delight to read. Even those books devoted to 3-D film history tend to gloss over Those Redheads with a few perfunctory remarks. Matthew Hartman, the reviewer, wins big points with me for taking the film seriously enough to watch it closely, really think about it, and then offer some incisive and illuminating observations. Although I am already a devoted fan of the film, that review enhances my appreciation for it. Kudos.

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Once again, I'm told a commentary track on a new 3-D Blu-ray release has repeated age-old myths and spread inaccurate data.

The commentators claim this film was released primarily flat and only played 3-D in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and London.

For the record, the 20th Century Fox 3-D release of INFERNO in 1953 was very extensive and had literally hundreds (or more) playdates throughout the country.

I've just spent five minutes in our files and can confirm 3-D playdates for INFERNO in the following cities:

Philadelphia, PA
Marion, OH
Burlington, NC
Sioux Falls, SD
Detroit, MI
Ithaca, NY
Decatur, IL
Oakland, CA
White Plains, NY
Passaic, NJ
Salem, OR
West Palm Beach, FL
Syracuse, NY
Indianapolis, IN
Pittsburgh, PA
Louisville, KY
Sandusky, OH
Cambridge City, IN
Rochester, NY
Columbia, MI
Kingsport, TN
Cincinnati, OH
Allentown, PA
Sikeston, MI
Bridgewater, NJ
Waukesha, WI
Kansas City, MI
Casa Grande, AZ
Baltimore, MD
Shamokin, PA
Brooklyn, NY
Corvallis, OR
Lincoln, NE
Paris, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Odessa, TX
Honolulu, HI
Akron, OH
Great Falls, MT
New Castle, PA

And many more!

Sigh...

Last edited:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I'm very sorry Bob. I wish more folk, especially those being paid for their services, would make at least a token effort to check their facts first. From the DVDBeaver review: "Fox gambled a little with [the] 'new' technology... with both 3-D and the, relatively new, stereophonic sound and in 1953 there were only a limited number of theatres capable of supporting them."

Any more myth-spreaders out there?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Once again, I'm told a commentary track on a new 3-D Blu-ray release has repeated age-old myths and spread inaccurate data.

The commentators claim this film was released primarily flat and only played 3-D in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and London.

For the record, the 20th Century Fox 3-D release of INFERNO in 1953 was very extensive and had literally hundreds (or more) playdates throughout the country.

I've just spent five minutes in our files and can confirm 3-D playdates for INFERNO in the following cities:

Philadelphia, PA
Marion, OH
Burlington, NC
Sioux Falls, SD
Detroit, MI
Ithaca, NY
Decatur, IL
Oakland, CA
White Plains, NY
Passaic, NJ
Salem, OR
West Palm Beach, FL
Syracuse, NY
Indianapolis, IN
Pittsburgh, PA
Louisville, KY
Sandusky, OH
Cambridge City, IN
Rochester, NY
Columbia, MI
Kingsport, TN
Cincinnati, OH
Allentown, PA
Sikeston, MI
Bridgewater, NJ
Waukesha, WI
Kansas City, MI
Casa Grande, AZ
Baltimore, MD
Shamokin, PA
Brooklyn, NY
Corvallis, OR
Lincoln, NE
Paris, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Odessa, TX
Honolulu, HI
Akron, OH
Great Falls, MT
New Castle, PA

And many more!

Sigh...

This stuff shouldn't be that difficult for them to get right. It's a shame, these resources are out there. :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
HA!

They seem to have a difficult time in reporting accurate release data. Their experts also claimed MISS SADIE THOMPSON only played in 3-D for two weeks and was pulled.

Original research, anyone?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Region free is DVD Beaver's error.

Both my region B Vaio and an OPPO 103 set to region C show a black screen with the words "Invalid Region" when trying to play "REDHEADS".

DVD Beaver probably didn't erase the memory of the Oppo where you have to press the stop button twice after playing the disc when it was region A. The Oppo will play the last region by memory (in this case region A) for the disc title unless the memory is cleared for a "first-time" play.

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Its a shame Redheads is not region free and its certainly limited to A as with my own delivery so we are also unable to play it.
A great shame Paramount have decided to limit the country's who can watch this as it will certainly limit sales for Kino and another nail in the box for future 3D Blu-ray releases which is not really a help to anyone who likes buying them.
At present I'm enjoying looking at the very nice box for it and watching 'invalid region' displayed on my tv. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks