What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The Big the big question is whether we will continue to see 3D Blu-ray discs released of these 3D theatrical releases or just 4K discs. No The BFG, Trolls, Ben Hur, Pete's Dragon, Alice Through The Looking Glass, ect. I just noticed on Amazon that the difference between the price of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them combo pack versions of the film 4K v.s. 3D version, the 3D combo is priced 3 cents more than the 4K set. Even at this late date the studios can't help trying to squeeze every penny of the 3D version.
Just can't see avid 3D enthusiast's supporting 4-K only consumer media.
Director-intended theatrical 3D productions are flourishing and need to be reproduced at home!
I have experienced both 3D & the alternate UHD/HDR10 formats which have been combined in the combo-pack, and I've activated the required settings on both an Oppo 203 and my LG 65E6P. The UHD/HDR experience simply does-not-begin to replicate or muster the theatrical 3D experience that provokes involvement thrills. I find that only the exceptional consumer passive 3D display is capable of producing and amplifying the theatrical 3D experience.:cool:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just can't see avid 3D enthusiast's supporting 4-K only consumer media.
Director-intended theatrical 3D productions are flourishing and need to be reproduced at home!
I have experienced both 3D & the alternate UHD/HDR10 formats which have been combined in the combo-pack, and I've activated the required settings on both an Oppo 203 and my LG 65E6P. The UHD/HDR experience simply does-not-begin to replicate or muster the theatrical 3D experience that provokes involvement thrills. I find that only the exceptional consumer passive 3D display is capable of producing and amplifying the theatrical 3D experience.:cool:
So given a choice of watching an excellent UHD transfer or an excellent 3D HD transfer, you'll go for the 3D? I'll soon have 4K TV (but no 4K player for the time being).

Since most releases have the 3D in a separate package from the UHD, you'll choose the 3D. I'm thinking that's the way I will go.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It is an absolute delight seeing a neglected film come back to life.

I've just returned from a week-long visit with 3-D restoration master Greg Kintz and his work on THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE is simply remarkable. He's taken some VERY faded color elements and with his usual scene-to-scene alignment and left/right panel matching, this 3-D gem is really beginning to shine.

Add to this mix the amazing three-channel stereophonic sound recreation by audio wizard Eckhard Büttner; the meticulous dirt/damage clean-up by Thad Komorowski and the painstaking 3-D intermission title restoration by Jack Theakston and you'll be experiencing this wonderful widescreen 3-D classic properly for the first time since 1953.

It's worth noting this film is historically significant as the first non-anamorphic widescreen production in 1953. When the stereoscopic cameras rolled on location in Aspen, Colorado on March 16, 1953, the intended aspect ratio was 1.66:1. The film has not been seen that way in more than sixty years.

It premieres on the big screen at the TCM festival in April and is coming to 3-D Blu-ray on May 9 from our good friends at Kino Lorber!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/those-redheads-from-seattle

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you, it's a very under-rated film and seeing it as intended REALLY brings it back to life.

I must add, as much as we are film purists, the restoration results that we are achieving on this film simply cannot be replicated photochemically. The ability to restore faded color with tools in the digital realm is simply amazing!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
These are not the final images and it's still a work-in-progress but here's a little sample of what Greg has achieved in restoring color to the faded elements. The yellow record was nearly gone and there are no YCM separation masters on the film.

You'll note the differential fading on the sides. That's typical of an element that was not stored properly and sat unwound for many, many years.

The 3-D layering and cinematography in this segment (Guy Mitchell singing "Chicka - Boom") is fantastic. In fact, the entire film is incredibly well-staged for great depth.

Those.gif

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
These are not the final images and it's still a work-in-progress but here's a little sample of what Greg has achieved in restoring color to the faded elements. The yellow record was nearly gone and there are no YCM separation masters on the film.

You'll note the differential fading on the sides. That's typical of an element that was not stored properly and sat unwound for many, many years.

The 3-D layering and cinematography in this segment (Guy Mitchell singing "Chicka - Boom") is fantastic. In fact, the entire film is incredibly well-staged for great depth.

View attachment 36547
Unwound? Not on reels?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks