What's new

Medal of Honor: Frontline (early impressions) (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
These games have always shined in the sound department, its really no surprise that this one does too.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
So are these missions different than MOHAA? So far it sounds like the same missions (Normandy) as MOHAA except they skipped a few before that.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it ironic that Spielberg has made like 4 or 5 WWII themed movies, and now his videogame production company is making WWII themed games? Not that there's anything wrong with that, its just a little ironic.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just that Spielberg keeps making projects related to or based on World War II. But hey, as long as they're at the level of quality they're at, I say keep em coming!

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Jason, and others who are wondering whether MOH:Frontline is has different missions than MOH:Allied Assault(PC)> Yes, totally different. Even the Normandy landing is different. There are far more graphical touches such as the support ships in the distance, firing on the bunkers, and the german planes straffing the beach. Also, when you emerge on top of the bunkers, the sky is filled with inflated blimpy things attached to metal cables. I don't know the proper term for them but they look damn cool. I finished MOH:AA on the PC, and am currently on mission 4 of Frontline. Patterson has parachuted into the middle of Operation Marketgarden. The graphics are incredibly detailed, complete with Dutch windmills. Near the beginning of the level, a fellow soldier crys out for help. His chute has snagged on the the blade of a windmill. You approach, but it's too late. The Germans gun him down before your eyes! When the firefight starts don't hide behind the haystacks like I did, they don't provide protection against machine gun fire. Duh!

It's little touches like this, that make the game so much fun. Oh yeah, did I metion how good the cows sound in Pro-logic II? Mooooooooo :)
Marc.

Bill Crosthwait

Second Unit
This absolutely game rocks. I have to agree this one of the best sounding games. To bad EA canceled the Flight Sim, I looking forward to that. Hopefully the next MOH will take place in the Pacific.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I LOVE THIS GAME!!
As has been stated, this is one intense mutha! I have never heard a game like this one before, it is a clear example of the audio on a game having a direct effect on how you play. All the chaos, and mayhem going on around you make you get involved in this game and it becomes more than just a game, it becomes an experience!
A good freind of mine picked this up for me along with 'Grand Theft Auto III', thanks Jerry, I got your back on Friday my man :), and i've barely touched 'GTA3' so far, i've been too busy with this one. Here's a little trivia for you guy's, the techincal adviser for 'MOH:FL' was none other than Capn. Dale Dye.
I've found myself wondering what real WWII vets think of a game like this. I mean it would be facinating to see a WWII vet sitting down with his grandchildren and watching the little ones as they take out Germans on the beaches of Normandy.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Capt. Dye did advising on all the MOH games, I saw him on tv. I'd also like a Pacific theater MOH game but doubt it because I think many will object to the race thing; being a white man killing only Asians. I know its realistic for the Pacific front but people will complain about and protest anything and I don't think Dreamworks is looking to cause controversy ala DMA.

jeremy

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I agree a pacific theater game is probably not likely. The public associates all Germans in the armed forces during the war as true Nazis and Hitler supporters, even though many were drafted or thought Hitler was a nut. For this reason the public has no problem with the current MOH games of Wolfenstein for that matter. With the Japanese, they didn't commit as well known war crimes as the Germans so it's less PC to make a game fighting them. They aren't seen at the same level of evil as Nazis are.
Anyhow, back on the subject. I'm starting to get further in the game but the aiming is really giving me trouble. I wish there was a way to increase the sensitivity of the analog sticks like in Red Faction. It seems the stick has to travel alot to move the cross hair even a little. Also, is it just my imagination or when you fire machine guns does your cross hair drift up to simulate recoil? it's cool but with the aiming problems it only makes things worse.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like this game is worth getting but only once it reaches the PC or Xbox. After playing MOHAA in high res with AA on the pc, I don't think I could play the next one with PS2 graphics.

Thanks for the reply Marc.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I too find it sort of frustrating that you have to go all the way back to the beginning of each mission once you die, BUT if it were any other way, I just think the game would be too easy.
I'm about half-way through and I've already finished a couple of missions the first time I've tried them.
Unlike most FPSs, there aren't that many (so far) fall-to-your-death situations, which necessitate frequent saving. If Half Life didn't have a quick save, I'd certainly have flung that game out of my window by now. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Gamers today are so spoiled, unlike back in the old 8 and 16-bit days. I don't remember anyone taking points off of Doom or Wolfenstein for lack of quick-save.
Please. Remember how much space was on the memory cards for 8 and 16 bit systems? NONE!!! They didn't exist!!!
I don't remember exactly, because it's been awhile, but I don't think the levels in Doom or Wolfenstein were as big as the levels in games today.
The lack of quick saves is even more irritating than complex hidden DVD easter eggs. (Those who know me will know just how irritating that is!) There's just no excuse for not having it on systems that can support it.
Or maybe Red Faction just spoiled me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks