What's new

Measuring speaker distance (1 Viewer)

Stephan J.

Auditioning
This may sound like a silly question, but when measuring surround speaker distance do you measure from listening position directly to speaker or simply the distance behind the listening position. My surrounds are 1' behind listening position but when measured directly they are about 5' due to the height on the wall. Thanks.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I assume you mean to set each speaker's volume level? To set each speaker's volume level accurately, you need to use a sound decibel level meter. I bought mine from Radio Shack. If you don't want to buy one, you measure from each speaker to your listening position.

Stephan J.

Auditioning
Not exactly. Setting level and distance are separate. I can handle setting level which is the hard part. I'm confused with the seemingly simple task of measuring speaker distance.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You have me confused. Do you mean when you initially set up your DD receiver? If so, that's also the distance from each speaker to your listening position.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Many recievers ask for distance, then set time-delay based on 1.1 ft / miliSecond speed.

You tend to want to measure from your head/ears to the tweeters on the speakers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My wife held the tape measure at her head and I ran around the room measuring the exact distance to each speaker.

-Robert

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

TMI guy. What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. :)

Thats exactly the way to do it. Hopefully your 2 rear and 2 front speakers measured out close to the same.

Have you got a SPL meter and level-adjusted the volume? This is usually a more important step. The level-adjustment compensates for different seating distances which cause the volume to be different.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I run through the automated setup on my Pioneer VSX-1014 and then fine tune it with VE and my SPL meter. As soon as I can get a good mic and a phantom power supply, I'm going to tune the low end with Room EQ Wizard and a BFD.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks