What's new

Maternity Leave. (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Hey guys/gals!

I was just wondering how much maternity leave people from different parts of the world receive.
My wife is due in September and she'll be taking off the full amount to take care of our baby. In Canada (Ontario) it's one year. I know it's a lot less in parts of North America but I was wondering if it is higher someplace else in the world.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
At my company in the US, we can take 6 weeks at 66% pay and then use the 12 FMLA weeks with zero pay. Beyond that, you have to use vacation time.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Yes, it's of my gross income. I should note, though, that my company does not offer a separate maternity leave plan, it's all part of their "Short-term Disability" plan. So whether you have a child or you break a foot, you get the same amount of leave.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that's how it's been anywhere I've worked, the usual short term disability and that's about it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Family & Medical Leave Act of 1993 provides for 12 weeks of unpaid leave for employees of companies with more than 50 employees. The State of Vermont extends that to companies with more than 10 employees.

I think any kind of paid leave is up to the individual company. I don't think there is any required by law.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
In Canada (Ontario) you get about 60% or your salary for up to a year. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but it's paid out like employment insurance for 50+ weeks.

I also believe that it can be split up between the parents. Obviously I'll be looking into the details a little more closely very soon. Anyone from Canada able to chime in here?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Micheal its 55% and yes it can be split between you and your wife. She has to take the first 15 weeks then there's 35 weeks that's available to either parent.
The company I work for (ducks unlimited canada) will top up an employee's wage to 95% for the year.

Congrat's on the baby! Our first was born April 5th.

I think sweden/finland or switzerland has two year mat leaves but I'm not positive on that.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Andrew, congrats on yours as well!
My wife will be taking the entire leave benefit so that's not a problem. (I'll use some of my vacation for the first month.)
I think that I've heard the same thing about Sweden but I'm not 100%.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
My wife is due in 5 weeks. Her company (Verizon) offers 2 months (I think its 2) paid, and up to 6 months off. Then she can do a gradual return, going part time for another 6 months. That is our plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks