What's new

Matching subwoofer to JBL speakers (1 Viewer)

Ben We

Grip
Hi,
I have JBL speakers and I had a JBL subwoofer. Recently, my subwoofer has been acting up, switching quickly between active and standby when it is supposed to be active. So, anyhow, I am looking to replace it.
I have heard that there are alot of problems with JBL subs, but I don't know how true that is. Are there other brands and models that people would reccommend? Otherwise, I think that I will either get the E250P or try to find a PB12.
My speakers now are:
Front: N38II
Rear: N24II
Center: HLS Center
Sub (not working right): PSW-D112
Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Ben

RobertCortez

Auditioning
My home theater consists of JBL Studio series speakers all around with an HSU VTF-2 sub.

I couldn't be happier.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Ben,

A sub has less to do with your speakers and more to do with your listening habits and room. How large is your room (in cubic feet and including any large openings to other rooms)? What kind of material do you listen to (especially if you listen to really deep stuff like pipe organ music, some of the newer action DVDs)? How loud do you listen to this material? And, of course, possibly the most important question: what is your budget? Answers to these questions will help folks point you to the best subwoofer for your needs. The Hsu suggestion above is a good place to look as is SVS (my personal favorite) and Velodyne (though you'll generally have to spend more for equivalent performance).

-Robb

Robert*S

Stunt Coordinator
Hey ben,
My home theater consists of JBL Northridge series (N24, N center) married to a SVS 22-31PCi sub.
I could not be happier with this setup.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Ben,

I have had my system for almost 2 years now, and it's the NSP1 by JBL. I bought the JBL PB12 at the same time. While it's true that JBL had problems early on with this sub, they were supposed to have corrected the problem. They must have, because I did a LOT of research on this before I bought and it really sounds fantastic. And it has NEVER given me any problems.
My friends who have come over to a experience a movie(notice I didn't say "watch"!) are in awe at the way it sounds.
Good luck on your quest!:D :emoji_thumbsup:

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I have the JBL Studio Series all around me and an SVS PB1-ISD as the sub. The SVS is amazing and is by far the best investment in my entire theater.

Nick Laho

Grip
Thats weird, my PSW-D110 recently self destructed on me too. It spends more time outputting loud popping noises and distortion than it does the signal its given. I ordered a SVS PB1-ISD and I expect it to blow the JBL out of the water when it arrives. It doesn't matter whether or not the sub matches the mains, Bass is totally forgiving in that respect. I'd get something from SVS or HSU in your situation. (It should be a clear step up)

Ben We

Grip
Thanks for all the responses. I loked at the SVS subs online and they look to be way out of my pricerange. The HSU look to be a bit much too for the small amount of wattage. I am looking to spend up to $350.
The room is 12x20 or so with very high ceilings, if that makes a difference. I listen to music relatively often but mainly use the sub for movies, often movies with alot of bass.
I guess that at this point I am strongly considering the JBL H250P for the lower cost and higher wattage. Does anyone have any experience with that one?
Thanks,
Ben

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I have heard good things about the JBL S120 in that price range as well.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks