Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Mary Poppins Returns UHD Review
Mary-Poppins-Returns--1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for this review. I agree with this from the review....

"....The songs by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman began to grow on me, and the 130 minute running time seemed to breeze by. Emily Blunt is practically perfect as Mary Poppins, making the character her own while also paying homage to Julie Andrews’ performance from the first film. Lin-Manuel Miranda is very enthusiastic as Jack, who thankfully was not a love interest for Mary Poppins (he eventually fancies Jane). Colin Firth is obviously having fun as the movies villain, bank president Wilkins. The movie also includes some fun cameos by Dick Van Dyke, Meryl Streep, and Angela Lansbury."

I'm looking forward to buying Mary Poppins Returns!

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I saw this with a friend in the theater and we both loved and adored it. I thought it was absolutely delightful and a worthy successor to the original film. I consider it an instant classic and hope that more people will soon regard it as such. The creative team and cast should be extremely proud of their accomplishments. I really enjoyed the music upon first hearing and left the theater with many songs replaying in my head. I’ve now watched the blu-ray 3 times and enjoy the music more each time. Having lost my own dear mother a few months prior to the film‘s release, I was especially moved by the songs “A Conversation” and “The Place Where Lost Things Go” (with the latter song turning me into a sobbing mess).

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I saw the movie just a few days before Christmas, and I agree it doesn't quite capture the magic of the 64 film, nonetheless I was enchanted. How long has it been since there was warm-hearted live action musical at holiday time? I also loved the vivid color, as compared to the washed out look that seems to be popular now. It really does have a certain joy, especially in the dancing and other exuberant musical sequences.

I also loved that almost all of the sequences were based on chapters out of the various books, like the China bowl.

My only problem with it is the Colin Firth character. Neither the books nor the 1964 film had a "villain"; they had people who "couldn't see past the end of their nose" who ultimately saw the light due to Mary Poppins' mysterious ways. Surely Mary Poppins had the power to do the same for Colin Firth.

Oh, and I REALLY wanted the bicycle to fly.

That being said, I have watched the Blu-ray 3 times and enjoyed it very much.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I really went into the film wanting to like it. I certainly have no complaints about the cast, the production design, or the music. I just really felt like the script was written almost like a Mad-Lib, where the framework of the original film was left more-or-less intact and they simply filled in the blanks. The children were so underwritten that they may as well have not been in the film. I also agree with Kevin that the unnecessary inclusion of a villain harmed the film. The whole plot device was simply there to provide an excuse for a third-act action scene. I didn't hate the film. There was too much obvious love and attention put into it for it to be entirely dismissed. I just felt that it was a good film that was prevented from ever being a great film by corporate insistence on formula over character and imagination.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Emily Blunt is the reason to see this movie. She is a worthy successor to Julie Andrews. The movie is a worthy attempt to re-catch lightning in a bottle that was the original perfect storm.

Reactions: PMF

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
The only thing disappointing about this film to me was the lack of the 3D conversion that was promised when the film went into production. Disney conversions have been really well done lately and would have added much more to the magic than 4K does. I was really looking forward to it but it was a no go. So sorry to see 3D being dropped by the studios and exhibitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks