Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
1608537543342.jpeg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really like how the visual effects for Wanda's powers vary based on the era of sitcom that's being represented, with the fifties sitcom using the simple "Bewitched"/"I Dream of Jeannie" effect of stopping the camera, making the change, and then restarting the camera with everything else in the frame positioned as closely as possible to where things were when the camera was stopped.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
There’s a suggestion that this may be 8 episodes with the last episode on March 5th, but no official info on that yet.

Anywhere from 6-8 feels right based on what they are seemingly setting out to do with these miniseries. Though I’d always prefer more rather than less if it doesn’t require padding to get there.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It was originally announced (at least unofficially) as a 6-episode series, but 8 episodes seems more "right" as it would make for a 2-week break between this and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier instead of the current 4-week break. Seems kind of late in the day to be adding two episodes without it feeling like padding,

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, hard to say. The info came from the Disney Latino website.

There could be a break in there and it is only 6. For long form storytelling I often feel like the “seasons” end much sooner than I’d prefer, but whatever works best for the story being told is what I’m hoping for.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It was originally announced (at least unofficially) as a 6-episode series, but 8 episodes seems more "right" as it would make for a 2-week break between this and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier instead of the current 4-week break. Seems kind of late in the day to be adding two episodes without it feeling like padding,
Actually there was stuff out there from much earlier on that suggested this could have been 8 episodes (along with the possibility of 6). Neither had been announced and I don’t think that, if this is actually 8, this is anything was was done late.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have for many years watched shows on network television in particular that crank out as many episodes as they can because that is what makes the most money. Only very rarely do these shows with large episode orders get to the end of the story without having faltered in quality. I find the smaller orders tend to allow the storytelling to be more effective, so I'm good with whatever number they want to do.

I also saw somebody somewhere refer to this as "season 1," which surprised me. Obviously, I don't know what Marvel is planning, but I was under the impression that this one is not renewable. Wanda is obviously going to move forward to appear in Doctor Strange, as well as presumably other projects. So it seems to me that this is designed as a one-off. Or if it isn't, a second round of episodes would have to come after Doctor Strange and account for the events in that film. That means the earliest we could see more is probably mid-2022 if Doctor Strange is able to keep its current March date. I'm going to watch what Marvel puts out, but I do think that at least from what it sounds like to me, the better move is to have this be a miniseries with a clearly defined ending point which I suppose will lead into Doctor Strange.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I have for many years watched shows on network television in particular that crank out as many episodes as they can because that is what makes the most money. Only very rarely do these shows with large episode orders get to the end of the story without having faltered in quality. I find the smaller orders tend to allow the storytelling to be more effective, so I'm good with whatever number they want to do.

I also saw somebody somewhere refer to this as "season 1," which surprised me. Obviously, I don't know what Marvel is planning, but I was under the impression that this one is not renewable. Wanda is obviously going to move forward to appear in Doctor Strange, as well as presumably other projects. So it seems to me that this is designed as a one-off. Or if it isn't, a second round of episodes would have to come after Doctor Strange and account for the events in that film, which means the earliest we could see more is probably mid-2022 if Doctor Strange is able to keep its current March date. I'm going to watch what Marvel puts out, but I do think that at least from what it sounds like to me, the better move is to have this be a miniseries with a clearly defined ending point which I suppose will lead into Doctor Strange.
I agree. For the shows that come in around 20 episodes, they are just that... shows and not “long form movies” and they inevitably have plenty of padding that can drag. Things that are 11-13 (ish) episodes can go either way, but still tend to have some padding. Its where you get to the series that are in the 6-9 episodes that I think they can sometimes feel a little short. But then again, being left wanting more is generally a good thing (as long as what you’ve been given was satisfying).

As far as “seasons” go I don‘t think these are likely to follow that traditional format. Some are likely to be one-offs but some may have “sequels“. WandaVision seems to be a story that is centered around a rather unique premise that will lead to significant story developments in the films, so it does seem like it would be more of a one-off with a straight up “WandaVision season 2” being unlikely. But they could always do another miniseries with a completely different premise with Wanda as the lead (and Vision, if he exists beyond this story) just like films do. I think any production comments referring to a “season 2” are more likely just using the traditional terminology. I also think that any follow ups to these Disney+ series wouldn’t come out for at least 2-3 years from the original “season”.

EDITED TO ADD: It has also been stated that these Disney+ series are going to tie in closely to the theatrical films with characters and stories weaving back and forth between them. So just because a character is introduced in a Disney+ series doesn’t mean that they are now just Disney+ characters that need another “season” to continue their story. So what someone might have traditionally thought would be a “season 2” of a Disney+ series could very well be something that is explored in the movies.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, the director Matt Shakman has been quoted describing WandaVision as a "six-hour epic event"

So then likely just 6 episodes. Unless it’s eight 45 minute episodes, which would get us back to 6 hours. Ha!

We’ll find out soon enough.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’ll be nice to have another big ticket show on D+. In hindsight, it’s kind of stunning that we’ve had two seasons of The Mandolorean, a season of Clone Wars, and a Star Wars special before we’ve even gotten one season of any Marvel property.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In hindsight, it’s kind of stunning that we’ve had two seasons of The Mandolorean, a season of Clone Wars, and a Star Wars special before we’ve even gotten one season of any Marvel property.

I see your point but that's entirely due to the pandemic. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was supposed to come out last August, which would have been before Baby Yoda aired its second season if not for COVID. So I think Marvel gets a pass on this one.

That being said, I totally agree that I can't wait to see WandaVision and am looking forward to having it there.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm hearing that it's nine 40-minute episodes.
Yes, I’m seeing lots of articles saying Marvel has confirmed that it is nine episodes. I haven’t been able to find that announcement from Marvel though. Maybe their Twitter?

So it looks like this will be airing right up to the weekend before Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Depending on how long that runs it will likely come close to the release of Loki, and then What If...?, etc

It’s been a long Marvel drought, but it looks like the flood gates are about to open.

Now that we’re here, it’s actually kind of nice the way there was break after the big “Infinity Saga” climax (with the Spidey Far From Home “epilogue”). A year and a half break and now they are starting up with a new era. I know it wasn’t planned that way, but it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks