What's new

Disney+ Marvel's WandaVision (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Now that we’re here, it’s actually kind of nice the way there was break after the big “Infinity Saga” climax (with the Spidey Far From Home “epilogue”). A year and a half break and now they are starting up with a new era. I know it wasn’t planned that way, but it works.
There's also the fact that Marvel likes to have most of the movies set in the present day of whenever they come out. Endgame pushed ahead of that, into 2023. All of the delays resulting from the real world pandemic will eat up a good chunk of that time jump.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Elizabeth Olsen talked with Jimmy Kimmel about the show from London where she was shooting Doctor Strange prior to lockdown. There is also a short new clip in here.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m trying to understand the premise of this show. I’m one of those people who don’t follow MCU and the characters very closely. So, Wanda can create alternate realities and has chosen to live in the 50’s with Vision, is that basically the premise? Vision is dead, ain’t he?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m trying to understand the premise of this show.

That’s mostly a mystery to us who have followed all the films too. Wanda lives in the year 2023, not the 1950s. Vision is dead. Whatever the reasons or circumstances that brought them together and whatever they’re trying to achieve is a mystery at this point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I assume that answers regarding how and why this is happening will come in the course of the series. I don't really need to understand it right now. As long as there is an explanation that works by the end of the show, I'm good. I love seeing Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany as these characters, so that's more than enough to get me to tune in.

My only wish is that whatever they are doing here does not invalidate the emotional significance of Vision's death in Infinity War. One of the reasons I never liked Agents of SHIELD is because the resurrection of Coulson undermined his death in The Avengers, so I hope they have a better way of doing whatever they're doing with Vision. But I'm more willing to see where they go with this and I'll be watching on Friday for sure.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
My guess is the Vision we are seeing in the trailers is part of the fantasy world that Wanda has created for herself.

As for the "real world", my bet is, like in the comics, Vision will become an emotionless, robot-like, synthezoid who will have that typical "journey to discovering his humanity" story arc that occurs in science fiction.

Either way, I'm all onboard for Friday.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As for the "real world", my bet is, like in the comics, Vision will become an emotionless, robot-like, synthezoid who will have that typical "journey to discovering his humanity" story arc that occurs in science fiction.

Didn't they already do this in Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War with him becoming more and more human across his journey on those films?

Last edited:

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Didn't they already do this in Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War with him becoming more and more human across his journey on those films?

I agree, to a degree. Jarvis/Vision was always fairly "human" in the way he acted in the previous films.

I'm thinking the "new" Vision will be more like a computer/Spock hybrid, completely devoid of any "programming" (for lack of a better word) that makes him act "human".

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That’s mostly a mystery to us who have followed all the films too. Wanda lives in the year 2023, not the 1950s. Vision is dead. Whatever the reasons or circumstances that brought them together and whatever they’re trying to achieve is a mystery at this point.
Ok, I feel a little less stupid now. :eek:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just watched the first two episodes, which were both made available today. Disney+ provided two episodes to launch and will have one a week going forward after this.

So far, it is a pretty standard style '50s era sitcom. If you're expecting to get answers about what is happening here right away, this might disappoint you. But the material for the sitcom is so well done in all of the usual techniques for shows of the actual time period, and Olsen and Bettany nail this kind of comedy. Even though they are now in a completely different setting, the chemistry is the same as always and it's a reminder of why they were such a highlight of Civil War and Infinity War despite being in supporting roles in those films. It is so delightful to get to spend more time with them that I didn't mind the lack of immediate explanation. I throughly enjoyed both of these episodes and I'm very interested to see where things go next week.

I don't want to say much else right now because spoilers. But I really, really like this. It is an impressive swing precisely because it's not really like anything Marvel has made before, and certainly this kind of thing would never fly in a huge blockbuster film. Apart from just being throughly charming, I really appreciate that Marvel is using the Disney+ platform to expand the range of what they can make, instead of making things that feel the same as the movies but shorter.

I have some spoiler thoughts as well but will leave them out until more people have gotten a chance to watch these episodes.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm a big Marvel fan, but I have to admit that I don't have much enthusiasm for this series concept regarding these two characters. I might watch the first two episodes this weekend to see there is anything that spikes my interest.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I might watch the first two episodes this weekend to see there is anything that spikes my interest.

The vast majority of the first two episodes are the sitcom material as presented in the trailers, which I think accurately represent the show they were created to market. I have a feeling that we are going to be talking about a very different type of show as we progress through the season than is being presented in the first two episodes, so you might want to give this a bit of a longer leash than you normally would if you don't dig the premiere.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The vast majority of the first two episodes are the sitcom material as presented in the trailers, which I think accurately represent the show they were created to market. I have a feeling that we are going to be talking about a very different type of show as we progress through the season than is being presented in the first two episodes, so you might want to give this a bit of a longer leash than you normally would if you don't dig the premiere.
Like I stated, I don't have much enthusiasm for this show so I might skip it all-together and watch some series that I have more serious interest. I'm so behind my series viewing that I might have to cut some out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is absolutely terrible.
They do have good taste in podcasting gear tho, which is weird. Rode Rodecaster Pro

54A01834-78A2-4082-A768-AB40CA5E0074.jpeg

Weird...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks