What's new

Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY Vol. 2: May 5th, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If that's the case, I think reaching out to Cooper or Gillian would be in their interest to at least discus it. There is no harm in taking the meeting.
Of course there’s no harm but it’s just not gonna happen.

The Cooper thing was never an option and the Gillian thing never will be.

Disney is not going to gamble with this franchise. They’ve fouled it up enough already.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney is not going to gamble with this franchise. They’ve fouled it up enough already.

How would hiring Cooper (who may well win Best Director at next year's Oscars) a gamble? Having a director who is not James Gunn is a gamble, but they're doing that. We'll see how it goes for them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How would hiring Cooper (who may well win Best Director at next year's Oscars) a gamble? Having a director who is not James Gunn is a gamble, but they're doing that. We'll see how it goes for them.
Cooper is a fine actor and directed ASIB beautifully.

But directing that drama and being in the gotg films does not in any way qualify him for directing a film of this magnitude. Nor does he want to.

I doubt it ever crossed Disney’s mind to even consider him.

I think it’s gonna be a while before Disney announces a director.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Disney has moved Jungle Cruise to July 24, 2020.

I bring this up in this thread because they have also removed a Marvel title that was set for July 31, 2020 from the release schedule entirely.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/dwayne...ZrGK_VQWeSQIe0jVkKzCh0JHJAVxpfql2pML1CtgT2rrQ

Obviously, they are hoping that Jungle Cruise (which until today was set for October 2019, a month Disney rarely uses for new film releases) will help fill the hole in their summer release slot.

This means they will only have two Marvel releases in 2020 -- one in May an one in November -- which is surprising but I guess is what happens when they nuke one of their own franchises.

I assume that Guardians was probably actually set internally for the May slot, but that one of the other two films slated for that year will be moved up. Disney would rather lose a Marvel title in July than in May, since their having the summer kickoff film on the first weekend of May is a tradition and they'll want to keep that going. (I'm including Infinity War in that too even though they moved it up since it was still the first big blockbuster of the summer this year.)

What's kind of surprising is that this means Disney will only have two MCU films for the next two years. In 2019, the third one is Spider-Man, which does count as a Marvel title but which will have its grosses going to Sony.

2020 is not a great time for Marvel to be at less than full strength, since Disney also does not currently have a new Star Wars title in 2020 either. (Episode IX will make some of its money in 2020 by virtue of its late December release date, but I mean a new release, since it still counts as a 2019 release.)

There are 10 Marvel movies coming in the next 4 years
And Marvel may have just bumped Guardians of the Galaxy 3 from the schedule.

https://www.cnet.com/news/marvel-movies-coming-through-2022/

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Travis Knight is the CEO of Laika, which has yet to make a movie I don't love, and he personally directed Kubo and the Two Strings, which is one of my favorite movies of the last several years. He has a strong sense of story and character and would be able to make it well. Obviously, I still want Gunn to do it, but that's not going to happen. So, I would actually be happy with Knight if this rumor comes true.

Even if he doesn't end up taking it, I think the news they are looking at him is a good sign because it means they are taking the time to look for someone who is good, and not just any old point-and-shoot-what-you're-told replacement. He's not a Joel Schumacher/Brett Ratner type who would come in and do a garbage job. He knows how to make a good movie. Disney could do a whole lot worse than him for this job, and probably not much better.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
At this point, I just hope that Disney allows Marvel to make Guardians 3. With everything that's happened since June, I honestly think Disney wants nothing to do with this franchise.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
At this point, I just hope that Disney allows Marvel to make Guardians 3. With everything that's happened since June, I honestly think Disney wants nothing to do with this franchise.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Disney has big plans for this franchise, including a theme park ride in Epcot.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, there's no way Disney doesn't make the third film. They need to work out who's directing, and whether or not Gunn's script will be used, and whether the cast (mainly Bautista) will play ball with a new filmmaker, and the timing of its rescheduled shoot. But it's going to happen. The franchise is worth hundreds of millions of dollars to them in box office, not to mention toys, theme parks, CD sales for the Awesome Mix, and all the other ways they exploit the franchise. The only part of it they want nothing to do with is James Giunn. They'll pick up where he left off, even if it takes them longer than they expected.

I think we won't hear anything official about the status of it until after Avengers 4, when they will fold news about it into a larger announcement about the upcoming Phase 4 slate. But given how they've been behaving recently, I don't think that's abnormal at all. There is no need to worry about Disney abandoning ship. The franchise is too big to require Gunn's participation.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I think you’re WAY off there.

Maybe so. And I truly hope that I am. My fear is that the company has had so much negative press as a result of the Gunn firing that they just decide pressing forward with a Volume 3 as Gunn had laid it out is not worth it. Especially if Dave Bautista refuses to play ball. Again, I truly hope that I'm wrong. But I can't help but be afraid that a film that was supposedly on the fast track to start filming this fall for a May 2020 release until the Gunn firing is now stuck in limbo.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Today, Adam McCay (Anchorman) says he’s been approached to direct Guardians 3 by Marvel. He did not say he would or wouldn’t.

Also, a report the other day said Gunn’s script for G3 is very strong and very emotional. Allegedly, some Disney execs were misty-eyed after reading it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of the names that have been floated so far, I would personally greatly prefer Travis Knight to Adam McKay. I feel like Knight would be more likely to leave Gunn's script alone, whereas McKay might want to do a rewrite. I also just like Kubo and the Two Strings better than The Big Short, considering the films by each of them that I have seen. (I'll be seeing Knight's Bumblebee at some point this weekend.)

However, Marvel knows McKay already, since he has a writing credit on the first Ant-Man, and might have been considered to direct that at one point before Peyton Reed got it. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Guardians is done, period. There's going to be so much time between films by the time they can finally find someone willing to direct the film, and I'm sure most of the cast has moved on. Then there's the audience that may not be willing to support the film as they have in the past due to the Gunn fiasco, making it kind of a risky proposition for risk-averse Disney.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think Guardians is done, period. There's going to be so much time between films by the time they can finally find someone willing to direct the film, and I'm sure most of the cast has moved on. Then there's the audience that may not be willing to support the film as they have in the past due to the Gunn fiasco, making it kind of a risky proposition for risk-averse Disney.

There is no way it is done. Disney has many millions to make on this yet, and characters like Rocket and Groot will be mainstays of Disney products for many years to come. They wouldn't be building theme park attractions based on the films if they were done. You can count on the Guardians being around a long time. In the end, the delay between the second and third films will be but a glitch.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Also, my kids are playing the Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 game for the Nintendo Switch. The game opens with the Guardians' spaceship flying across the stars and the Marvel logo while "Come And Get Your Love" (the song that opened the first movie) plays. I doubt they'd feature the Guardians so prominently in a game about the whole Marvel Universe if they were done with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks