What's new

Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY Vol. 2: May 5th, 2017 (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree -- I think some people who watch the box office expected it to post a bigger increase domestically, but I expect Disney is pleased with that number, and Reed should go forward with that sequel.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There have been some people suggesting that the performance of Ant-Man and the Wasp won't trigger a third film in that series
And those people are clueless and have no idea what they are talking about. Nor have any understanding of boxoffice and how Hollywood works.

Of course a sequel is coming. That was clear as soon as the second film opened.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Expect the next Ant-Man movie to open even bigger. He hasn’t gotten the “Avengers bump” yet because he hasn’t appeared in their lineup yet, but he almost certainly will be in Avengers 4 - and that’ll be good for a few extra bucks for his next solo outing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Expect the next Ant-Man movie to open even bigger. He hasn’t gotten the “Avengers bump” yet because he hasn’t appeared in their lineup yet, but he almost certainly will be in Avengers 4 - and that’ll be good for a few extra bucks for his next solo outing.

Yeah. I think some of the box office prognosticators were expecting him to receive the Avengers bump because he was in Civil War (which was essentially an Avengers movie under Captain America's title.) But his appearance there was relatively minor in comparison to the other heroes, and I expect the bump will be larger after he has been more fully integrated with the rest of the team.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yeah. I think some of the box office prognosticators were expecting him to receive the Avengers bump because he was in Civil War (which was essentially an Avengers movie under Captain America's title.) But his appearance there was relatively minor in comparison to the other heroes, and I expect the bump will be larger after he has been more fully integrated with the rest of the team.
I hope so. I think Ant-Man And The Wasp is one of the most under-rated comic book films in the last few years. I thought it was the perfect balance of action, suspense, humor and even some romance. It's the type of film I could probably throw on in the background when I'm doing stuff around the house. Whereas with something like Infinity War, that's something I'd watch when I'm at full attention.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I definitely would not have bothered with it otherwise, but now I will.

Congratulations to him for landing on his feet so quickly after the Disney mess, and kudos to WB for realizing he is hireable and getting him.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What's funny, I always thought the first Suicide Squad movie wanted to be Guardians - band of misfits, rock and roll soundtrack, outlaws doing good, etc. Now, with the second film, it can be! I predict a very different soundtrack. The first one had great rock songs, which had previously been used to death in movies and television. The unique thing about Guardians was that its soundtracks used songs that weren't used in a ton of movies.

The article says this isn't exactly a sequel to the David Ayers film, and that Gunn is taking a new approach. That suits what I know of the property, which is that a branch of government recruits outlaws to go on dangerous missions. I can't imagine Warner will want to let Margot Robbie and Will Smith go, but those two are rumored for other DC projects.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm sure that the desire for the first film to be Guardians is exactly why they went after Gunn. This has probably been in the works since he exited Disney, and WB probably never thought they would get him until Disney was stupid enough to let him go.

If WB wants to keep them, I don't think it would have to let the cast go necessarily. It can just be sort of soft reboot where it's technically in the same continuity but doesn't really reference events from the previous film. Gunn can have his new approach with the talented cast from the previous film. The Winter Soldier was a significant shift in style versus The First Avenger, but both exist in the same world. It will depend on what WB wants to do and what Gunn want to do and where those wants intersect.

But I fully expect Dave Bautista to join the cast.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And since Sam smartly has now created a dedicated thread for Suicide Squad 2 -- to get this thread back to the Guardians -- I wonder which will end up hitting theaters first? Suicide Squad 2 or Guardians Vol. 3? It's not a war or anything, but Disney is clearly cooling their heels because they pushed filming back indefinitely and haven't figured out who will replace Gunn yet.

I want Guardians 3 to come out, preferably still with Gunn's script, and I want it to be good. But that being said, I think it would be funny, in an ironic sort of way, if Suicide Squad 2 ends up being made first, and comes out, and is a hit, while Disney is still trying to figure out how to restart the series they nuked by firing Gunn in the first place.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I want Guardians 3 to come out, preferably still with Gunn's script, and I want it to be good. But that being said, I think it would be funny, in an ironic sort of way, if Suicide Squad 2 ends up being made first, and comes out, and is a hit, while Disney is still trying to figure out how to restart the series they nuked by firing Gunn in the first place.

Amen to that! Can't believe that Disney still thinks letting a filmmaker with Gunn's wit, sensibilities, and charisma go was a good idea. :wacko:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The dream scenario would be for the success of Suicide Squad 2 to prove to Disney that Gunn's tweets are a nonissue and have them hire him back for what would be then a very belated Guardians 3. I don't think that's going to happen. But it would be nice if it did.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think it boils down to there being no proof or even allegations that he ever did anything other than tell bad jokes on twitter several years ago and it being highly unlikely that Disney didn't know about them before they hired him to begin with.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think it boils down to there being no proof or even allegations that he ever did anything other than tell bad jokes on twitter several years ago and it being highly unlikely that Disney didn't know about them before they hired him to begin with.
Well I guess it depends on your definition of “bad jokes”. And the current “climate” certainly didn’t help.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My feeling is that even though his tweets were inappropriate, we are all capable of self-improvement. Unlike, say, Harvey Weinstein, allowing Gunn to work again is not a safety risk for anyone, since he didn't actually cause harm and was being stupid online. I think most people have said or done some stupid things in their life that they wish they could take back. The Guardians films are about a self-described "bunch of assholes" who become better people. So, Gunn did the same thing while writing and directing movies about them. That's fine by me.

If he were a predator who was making the workplace unsafe, then his removal would have been absolutely necessary. But that's not what this was at all. It's not even like Roseanne, who made her offensive tweet the day she was fired and hasn't seemed particularly repentant sine.

If we aren't allowed to continuously improve ourselves, then what are we even here for?

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Look it’s DISNEY. There’s no way they can ever support a director who made pedophila jokes. Never. EVER. It’s DISNEY. :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks