What's new

Marque signs & substitute for sound board? (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
Is there any place online where you can purchase all the marque signs I am looking for? (Dolby Digital, DTS, THX etc..) I like the black and gold signs and I want to try and get them all the same size. It would be so much easier to just purchase them from one location.

Home Depot and Lowes no longer carry soundboard. Is there something on the market that will serve the same accoustical purpose? Boards are easy to install and cover with fabric. I want to stay away from batting. I am going to use it on the lower half of my room and leave the upper half drywall with a set of columns with batting and insulation in them at the first reflection point.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
My Dad used a type of soundboard called "Homasote".
He purchased it from Home Depot.

http://www.homasote.com/

I'm not sure if homasote is what you are looking for because it goes in between the studs in the walls and not on the outside of the walls like acoustical panels .

Hope this helps.

BrianKR

Second Unit
thx for the heads up. I am going to order the dvd, htdv, dts and dolby sign from them today. They are perfect size for where I am going to place them. Now all I need is 5 good poster frames and sound absorbing material for the lower half of my room.

Terry Montlick

Stunt Coordinator
"Homasote" type soundboard is a soundproofing material, which reducing sound transmission through walls. This isn't the same animal (acoustically speaking) as a sound absorber, which reduces reverberation and reflections, improving the acoustical characteristics of your room.

Rigid fiberglass board is a very popular material for sound absorption. Depending on thickness, it has very high absorption coefficients over much of the audio range. 1" thick fiberglass reaches to around 500 Hz, and thicker will treat lower frequencies.

Owens Corning type 705 insulating board is commonly used, because it is the most dense and rigid (Manville has an equivalent, though I don't remember number). Unlike batting, this is firm and easily covered with fabric to make a smooth surface. Beware that it can dent if the surface isn't resin-hardened.

Regards,
Terry

BrianKR

Second Unit
Terry, do you know of any sound "absorbing" product in a wood or panel form that isn't easy to dent and thinner than 1" thickness? 1" thick would be hard to trim/mold and have it look nice. If I went with a board 1" thick I would think I would have to batt the upper walls and use fabric to cover it. I am not a big fan of fabric, especially with my kids. They are in the wall paper tearing stage and my wife and I feel fabric on a soft background would peak their interest.

Terry Montlick

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, sound absorbing material has to be porous to air. So wood isn't good for this purpose. Open, fibrous material or open-cell foam is the best.

But here's an idea: acoustical tiles. These come, I believe, in 1/2-inch thickness. And while not as ideal an absorber as either fiberglass or foam, they are a great deal better than a hard, non-porous surface. They are cheap, too. Just make sure that any fabric you use to cover them is acoustically transparent, such as Guilford of Maine FR701.

Regards,
Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks