What's new

March 2013 Sci-fi Challenge (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) :star::star::star: This sequel is certainly a major step up in terms of quality. This time out Kirk (William Shatner) and Spock (Leonard Nimoy) must lead an inexperienced crew to do battle against Khan (Ricardo Montalban), a man who was forced to exile for fifteen-years but now is seeking revenge. It's easy to see why Robert Wise wasn't invited back and it's also easy to see why they decided to take this one into a new direction. Compared to the original movie I'd go as far as to call this a masterpiece because it's a vast improvement in any stretch of the imagination. The acting, directing, pacing and overall entertaining is so much better here that it really comes across as an entirely new series and it really makes you look back and wonder why the first one went so wrong. I think what I enjoyed most here were the performances by Shatner and Montalban. It really does appear that both actors are really having a blast and I liked how neither one was taking this so serious as if they were appearing in some Stanley Kubrick film. Both actors really appear to just be kicking back and trying to entertain the hell out of the viewer. Nimoy is also extremely good as Spock and we get nice work from Paul Winfield and even Kirstie Alley. Another major plus here is that director Nicholas Meyer manages to keep the story engaging from the opening scene to the last. The characters are so much better here that they too keep you entertained as well as keep you interested in what's going on. The pacing is another major plus as there's really no slow spots to be found anywhere. With that said, I do think there's some flaws to be found here including some of the special effects and I'd also say that the action scenes aren't as dramatic as they should be. Still, STAR TREK II manages to be a highly entertaining film even if you're not a major fan of the series. Galaxina (1980) :half: Cult sci-fi film about an outer space police squad who are sent on a mission to try and recover a crystal that could cause major harm if it falls into the wrong hands. GALAXINA is an incredibly bad spoof of the genre, which would have probably been forgotten by now had it not been released just a few months before the death of its star Dorothy Stratten. The star would be killed by her husband shortly after this movie was released and I'm sure its this curiosity, which got the film a few extra bucks at the box office and it's this that makes people check it out today. Sadly, it's a pretty horrible movie and if Stratten did have any talent she was certainly unable to show it here. Those checking this out to see her are going to be disappointed for a number of reasons but for the majority of the running time she's just sitting in a chair looking off into space. Whenever she's not doing this she's basically just got bad dialogue to say and those expecting to see any sexuality will really be disappointed. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a movie where a Playboy model was dressed in such unsexy clothes. Everything else in this film is pretty much horrible as the action scenes are lame, the special effects are a joke and there's really not a single interesting character to be found. The majority of the film is a spoof so we're given some unfunny jokes about Spock, a rip-off of the ALIEN tagline and even Kubrick's 2001 jets a joke aimed at it. The problem is that none of these jokes are funny and in fact they're just downright stupid to the point where you grow frustrated with the film. I really don't know what the filmmakers were trying to do with this thing. I've heard it's an early attempt at what Mel Brooks would do in SPACEBALLS but this thing here is just a complete waste of time. The only thing mildly interesting are some of the creatures but these aren't enough to make you sit through the film. Solar Crisis (1990) :star::star: Somehow this mix of the sci-fi and disaster genres got a pretty big cast to sign on. Set in 2050, the Earth is about to be burned down due to a giant solar flare from the sun. A group of astronauts must try to drop a bomb of these flares so that they will shoot off in another direction but there are people on Earth who want to stop them for their own wicked plans. Believe it or not, somehow this film managed to get a $55 million dollar budget but then it barely got a theatrical release here in America. Tim Matheson, Charlton Heston, Jack Palance, Peter Boyle and cult favorite Michael Berryman all signed onto appear in this film and I think it's rather funny that the producers would spend so much money and not get much in return. The film isn't nearly as bad as many people make it out to be but it's best one comes into it as a "B" movie and not expecting some sort of "A" level Hollywood film. The movie has a rather confusing plot that at times doesn't make too much sense. I think the biggest problem is that there's probably a lot of stuff from novel that didn't make it into the film. The American version runs six-minutes shorter than the Japanese one and it was disowned by the real director (Richard C. Sarafian) so this has a Alan Smithee credit. Another problem with the film is that the special effects just aren't that believable. This is especially true when it comes to the stuff in outer space but also on Earth when we see what's basically the world in chaos as everyone is waiting for their death. What does keep the film somewhat entertaining are the actor. I've always been a fan of Matheson and he manages to keep one entertained here as the leader of the spaceship. Heston, playing his father, gives that tough guy approach to the character and we get to see him beat up a couple people, which is always good. Palance plays a guy who basically walks around like a bum and once again the actor is so over-the-top that you can't help but enjoy the performance. Boyle doesn't have much to do but it's still nice seeing him. Annabel Schofield is good in her supporting bit. SOLAR CRISIS is a rather weird film because you wonder why a "B" movie has such a high budget but at the same time you realize that the material needed an even higher one to really do the story any justice. I will say that this film shares a lot of similarities with Michael Bay's Armageddon and I do wonder if some of the stuff here was borrowed for it. Flying Monkeys (2013) :star::star: The latest from SyFy centers on a father (Vincent Ventresca) who is late to his daughter's (Maika Monroe) graduation so as a make-up gift he buys her a monkey. What he doesn't know is that this monkey is actually a shape shifter that can grow wings as well as grow in size and likes to eat humans. FLYING MONKEYS is pretty much what you'd expect from a movie that shows up on SyFy but I think for the most part it's slightly entertaining and ranks as one of the better things to turn up on the channel at nine o'clock. I know that's not saying too much since there's a lot of bad movies on there but this one here actually works on a few levels. For starters, I thought both Ventresca and Monroe were good in their parts and they certainly helped keep the film interesting and moving along. I thought both of them fit their roles just fine and their performances were certainly better than you normally see in a film like this. The supporting players, while not perfect, were also entertaining in their roles. I can't say the father-daughter subplot was all that great but it's certainly better than what most "B" movies offer up. Another thing that actually works are the CGI monkeys. Yes, the thought of a flying monkey is rather silly but I still thought the special effects were better than most. For starters, unlike so many movies, this one here didn't try to make the monsters bigger than Godzilla (remember the channel's BIGFOOT?) and instead of making them look fake, they actually went the extra mile to make them look realistic or at least as realistic as a flying monkey can be. The CGI wasn't over-the-top nor was it so bad that you couldn't believe what you were watching. First-time director Robert Grasmere has worked on several big films so he's obviously been around talent. I think he actually did a good job considering what the material was. Of course, this is still a SyFy "B" movie so I'd be interesting in seeing what he does from here as well as the cast members.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I watched the best Doctor Who (new) episode. Blink I've seen this many times. I love then non companion Sally Sparrow. It's a damn shame she didn't get to be a companion. The weeping Angels are a great new enemy for The Doctor. I love the rainy mood of the episode.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
20 Star Trek: First Contact (1996) (bluray) :star::star::star::star::half: My favourite of the Next Generation movies and probably my second or third favourite of all the star trek movies. Though I grew up on the original series the next generation crew have a special place in my heart as well. Everything about this movie was well done and kudos to Jonathan Frakes for being an able director. If I had to mark it down for anything it would be for the cringe inducing scene at the end with Zefram Cochran dancing like a madman while the Vulcans stand around drinking alcohol of all things. 21 The Blob (1958) (Netflix) :star::star::star::half: I last saw this when I was a kid so I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed seeing this movie again. For a B-movie this is a pretty good one with decent acting and a credible alien monster that can't be killed. The only thing I would have liked was for them to eliminate some of the pointless dialogue and insert more action scenes. Still well worth visiting again. 22 Mandrake (2010) (Netflix) :star::star::half: An expedition is funded by a wealthy man in order to retrieve a dagger that is buried in a grave on ancient native burial grounds. The thief of the dagger causes an ancient monster made from the surrounding trees and bushes to come alive seeking revenge on the expedition. Really this movie was quite dumb but interesting enough to keep my attention. The acting was also good and that was a plus. So a mediocre rating from me. TV Episodes Fringe Season 1: Bad Dreams (bluray) Fringe Season 1: Midnight (bluray) Fringe Season 1: The Road Not Taken (bluray) Fringe Season 1: There's More Than One of Everything (bluray) A lot of the first season of Fringe was hit or miss with me. I thought Anna Torv was as cold as ice though she did start to loosen up towards the end of the first season. The last episode was also noteworthy because the mytharc really started to take hold. I had to swallow hard at the image of the twin towers standing in the parallel universe in the season finale.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Airplane II The Sequel (1982) I've already seen this, but since I watched the original yesterday, I figured I should rewatch this too. Technically it's a Sci-fi movie since they are on a space shuttle in space heading toward the moon. Not even near as funny as the original. It does have a few funny jokes, but lots of them are borrowed jokes from the original. Doctor Who (classic) City of Death part 2 Continues to be a good story. I love how this episode ends. I finally have two days off again coming Wednesday and Thursday. Going to use that time to watch Explorers Apollo 18 Sunshine Star Wars and maybe Empire Strikes Back And more Doctor Who (classic)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I love BOTH versions of THE BLOB. Both are favorites of mine but SON OF BLOB.... that's another story. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984) :star::star::star: After the events in the previous film, Kirk (William Shatner) risks his career by stealing the Enterprise to go to a restricted planet in hopes of finding Spock's body who they feel might be alive. Along the way they run into a Klingon leader (Christopher Lloyd) who wants to kill them all. STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH OF SPOCK probably shouldn't have worked since if you've seen the second film then you know what happens to Spock. In order for this "trick" to work the producers and writers really needed to come up with something good and thankfully they did that. I won't ruin what this trick is in "the search for Spock" but I thought it was a rather smart move and it helped make the film a lot more believable. Leonard Nimoy steps into the director's chair here and it's obvious he's very comfortable there as he delivers a good looking film with a good pace and of course the main people back in action. Once again we've got Shatner turning in a good performance as Spock and there's no question that he helps keep the film moving. I don't care what you want to say about the guy but there's no question that he owned this role and could play it in his sleep. Regulars like DeForrest Kelley, James Doohan and George Takei are also good in their roles. It seems a lot of people are split on Lloyd but I thought he was pretty good here. I liked seeing him under all the make-up and thought he did a good job even if the role itself wasn't the greatest. The special effects here are certainly a step up from the previous movie and I'd also say that battle sequences are much better directed. Overall this film doesn't quite reach the levels as the second but it's certainly a worthy sequel. Contamination (1980) :star::half: Italian rip-off of ALIEN comes from director Luigi Cozzi who certainly knows how to deliver the gore. A ship full of dead people comes into New York and giant, slimy eggs are discovered. It turns out that a renegade astronaut has been storing these eggs and it's up to another one to try and find out what exactly is going on and destroy it before the eggs take over the world. CONTAMINATION, also known by several other names, is a pretty boring affair from start to finish and if it wasn't for the gore then this here would have been a complete bust. The film starts off on a pretty good level as we're given some great shots of New York City before the health department discovers the eggs, which pretty much have acid in them that can make a body blow itself up from the inside out. In the first ten-minutes we get some great gore effects with body being blown apart with plenty of red meat flying around but sadly this is pretty much the end of the gore as we then get into the "mystery" of what's going on. This entire mystery is just so drawn out and boring that it's nearly impossible to stay awake through the entire film. It certainly doesn't help but Cozzi really doesn't do a very good job directing. A perfect example of this is a very long sequence where a woman finds herself locked in a bathroom with an egg, which is going to go off at any moment. We cut between this and the two men she's with who of course are debating on whether or not they should enter her room. They don't know she's about to die but these two things keep going back and forth yet Cozzi never makes it tense. There's no energy to be found anywhere in the film and the pacing is pretty slow as well. Ian McCulloch, Louise Marleau and Marino Mase play the three people investigating the eggs and while it's fun seeing them, none can really raise the level of entertainment. The music score from The Goblin is a plus and there's no question that the special effects are very good but sadly we don't see much of them. CONTAMINATION is a pretty poor movie that should have been so much better. The American version takes out around 11-minutes worth of the subplot so I do wonder if perhaps it works better. The Deadly Spawn (1983) :star::star::half: Good mix of old-fashioned sci-fi and 80s gore about a group of kids who must fight off an alien creature that has taken up in their basement. Not only does this alien like human flesh but it has several smaller versions that start to terrorize this small town. Writer-director Douglas McKeown just has one credit listed at IMDb and it's this film here, which is somewhat shocking. This film was extremely well-made and it's somewhat shocking that he didn't direct another feature, although the bio on the Synapse DVD fills in some added details. What I enjoyed most about this film is that it's clear McKeown is a major fan of the science fiction films from the 1950s as one of the main characters here is a young boy who loves Famous Monsters magazine and his walls are full of monster posters. This here was a nice little touch but it works so well because the actual alien here is exactly like something you'd expect to see in a Roger Corman drive-in flick. THE DEADLY SPAWN goes a step further because the throwback is certainly here but there's also non-stop gore, which is what was happening to genre pictures around this time. I'm not sure what type of theatrical release this thing got but it's certainly much more bloody than the Friday THE 13TH pictures of this era. One highlight includes a sequence where a poor woman gets the flesh from her face eaten off and there are countless others scenes of body parts being chewed up. The gore level is actually a lot higher than you'd normally see in a picture like this but I'm certainly not going to complain. The performances are pretty much what you'd expect from a low-budget movie of this era but none of them are bad enough to ruin anything. There are a few problems with the picture including several scenes that get dragged out too long. I'd say the 81-minute running time also feels a bit long but there's still no question that the film really works well for what it is. Strange Invaders (1983) :star::star: Paul LeMat plays a husband who goes to his ex-wife's hometown after she goes missing. Along the way he meets a reporter (Nancy Allen) who helps him investigate and soon it appears that something from outer space might have been behind it. It seems that this film has a small cult following but I'm not going to be one of them. In a lot of ways this thing plays homage to countless sci-fi titles of the 1950s but it's also a minor reworking of I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE. I think there are a few interesting ideas that pop up throughout the film but when it's all said and done I think there's mostly disappointment. What really didn't work for me was the pacing of the film. For the life of me I couldn't understand what the director was trying to go for. Was this just meant to be a silly, fun time? Was it trying to be a more serious mystery? Was it just a spoof of the genre? The entire thing just felt way too uneven for my liking and it really did seem to change from one scene to the next and the uneven quality certainly didn't do anyone any favors. Another problem that I had is that the story itself never fully grabbed my attention. I really didn't care about the husband trying to figure out the mystery behind his wife's disappearance. I didn't care what happened to his daughter or anyone else in the film. The only thing that kept me entertained were the cast members. The cast members here are very noticeable and some of them are personal favorites. LeMat will always be known for American Graffiti and it was nice seeing him here. Allen, known for the countless DePalma movies, doesn't give a great performance but her fans will enjoy seeing her. We also get former Oscar-winner Louise Fletcher, PSYCHO III actress Diana Scarwid and even Michael Lerner. THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD star Kenneth Tobey is on hand as are 'Lost in Space' cast members June Lockhart and Mark Goddard. STRANGE INVADERS isn't a horrible movie but it simply doesn't have enough going for it to keep the viewer fully entertained. Event Horizon (1997) :star::star::star: Dark and sometimes disturbing mix of sci-fi and horror about the spaceship Event Horizon, which went missing shortly after its mission. Seven years later it reemerges so a rescue crew goes after it trying to figure out where it's been the entire time. I saw EVENT HORIZON when it was first released and really couldn't understand why it gained so many negative reviews. There's no question that the film contains some flaws but it's also a rather ambitious film that relies just as much on its story than just the special effects. I thought director Paul Anderson did a fantastic job early on really making the viewer feel uneasy. There's a brief line where a crew member talks about how far they are from safety and this scene perfectly builds up a rather dark tension because you realize that these people really are on their own with no one to help them. The entire atmosphere of the film is incredibly dark and while I'm not going to give anything away, what the story attempts to do with where the ship has gone was rather unique and I think that for the most part it works. Now, if you've ever heard of this film then you know about the various issues it ran into during the test screenings. There's been talk of a director's cut, which I think might help out many of the flaws. The story takes us to a rather dark direction but it just seems as if something is missing. There are a few questions that need to be answered and there are a few things that don't make much sense but perhaps these were forced to be left on the cutting room floor. If so, hopefully we can see the complete version at some point. Another thing that works here are the extremely strong performances with Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan and Joely Richardson delivering great work. The special effects are also another major plus including an incredibly beautiful opening sequence as well as the effects really making you feel as if you're in space the entire time. Some have been critical of some of the graphic and bloody violence but I thought it actually played well into the story and didn't take away from anything. As it stands, EVENT HORIZON is a rather brave but flawed film but hopefully a complete version will give us a better look at what it was really trying to do.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Mmm I need to watch Event Horizon again. I've just seen it the one time. 23 Outlander (2008) (bluray) :star::star::star::star::half: A spaceship crash lands on earth in the year 709 AD during the period of the Vikings. There are two aliens on board, a man by the name of Kainan who is the pilot of the ship and a dragon-like creature a Mooorwen who proceeds to wreck havoc in the local villages. This was quite a good film reminiscent of a combination of the 13th Warrior and Predator. The story was credible in how they interweaved the alien aspect during the Viking period to make it believable. This was a good blind buy for me. 24 Pandorum (2009) (bluray) :star::star::star::star: Two crew members wake up from hypersleep on a spaceship with no memory of who they are, where they are going and how much time has passed. They soon discover that the ship is overrun by hostiles who seem bent on capturing and eating them. More psychological than most horror movies this one studies the effects of cryo sleep and the sustained presence in space on certain individuals. The film is able to sustain the tension throughout and I found myself jumping in a few spots the first time I watched it. The movie is certainly better than what the critics will have you believe. 25 Alien Species (1996) (dvd) :half::star: A fleet of spaceships are discovered circling the earth prior to their attack and colonization of earth. A scientist, two assistants, plus a sheriff, deputy and two prisoners take refuge in a nearby cave that seems to be a base of operations for the aliens. This is a hilarious bad movie with terrible acting, script etc. Considering the aliens appearance one would have thought this was filmed in the 50's rather than the 90's. This is just one of the many winning movies found on the Nightmare Worlds collection. Love them all.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Doctor Who (classic) City of Death part 3 City of Death part 4 A great classic Doctor Who episode. Loved the entire story. There's also a great surprise cameo by a British actor in part 4 Season 18 The Leisure Hive part 1 Not a great episode so far. Explorers (1985) This is a movie I liked ever since I first seen it when I was twelve years old. It always bothered me when they meet the aliens. I just never really liked them. But watching it now, it doesn't bother me as much. I do like how they build the ship and go on their first test mission. Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country (1991) This is another favorite Star Trek movie of mine. Not really a way to end this movie series, but it's fine. The whole Kirk vs Kirk thing reminds of Superman vs Clark in Superman III. Even though I don't want to, I think I just may watch Star Trek V. It's been so long since I've seen it. I don't like it. But I may just watch it again to give it another chance. Remember the site will be down for awhile. Save those reviews. Also April will be animation/anime challenge. Anyone interested?

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
The animation challenge sounds fun though I hardly own any. The Star Trek movies I usual skip myself are: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V. A Fire in the Sky (1978) (Netflix) :star::star::star: Scientists discover a comet is heading our way and will most likely crash near Phoenix Arizona. An attempt is made to warn the officials but they are ignored until it's too late. This is a rather silly movie of the week but still captured my interest for its duration. At least they had the courage to let the comet hit and destroy the city instead of coming up with some dumb plan to destroy the meteor before it hits. Event Horizon (1997) (Netflix) :star::star::star::half: This is another one of those psychological horror movies set in space, of a crew that slowly becomes mad due to their close approximation to the missing ship the Event Horizon. This is one crazy creepy movie that gets under your skin and doesn't want to let go. I've only seen it twice now and I don't think I want to revisit it again. Atmosphere is everything in these type of movies and this one has it in spades. Truly unsettling. TV Episodes 18 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: The Hive 19 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: Epiphany 20 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: Critical Mass 21 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: Grace Under Pressure 22 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: The Tower

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Sci-fi Movies Abraxas Guardian of the Universe (1990) Airplane II The Sequel (1982) Apollo 18 (2011)Cowboys & Aliens (2011) Darkest Hour (2011)Explorers (1985) Fifth Element (1997)Mutant Hunt (1987)Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996) Spaceballs (1987)Star Trek (2009) Star Trek II Wrath of Khan (1982) Star Trek IV The Voyage Home (1986)Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country (1991) Thirteenth Floor (1999)Time Guardian (1987)Timelock (1996) Sci-fi TV Doctor Who (new) Season 3 #311 BlinkSeason 7#706 Bells of St. John Doctor Who (classic) Season 12 Ark in Space part 1 Ark in Space part 2 Ark in Space part 3 Ark in Space part 4 Season 13Pyramids of Mars part 1Pyramids of Mars part 2Pyramids of Mars part 3Pyramids of Mars part 4Season 14 Robots of Death part 1 Robots of Death part 2 Robots of Death part 3 Robots of Death part 4 Season 17 City of Death part 1 City of Death part 2 City of Death part 3 City of Death part 4 Season 18 Leisure Hive part 1 Leisure Hive part 2Leisure Hive part 3Leisure Hive part 4Family GuyBlue HarvestSomething, Something, Something Dark SideFireflySerenity part 1 & 2The Train Job BushwhackedRed DwarfSeason 1#101 The EndSci-fi shorts Hardware Wars A Trip to the Moon (Le Voyage Dans La Lune) (1902) Sci-fi audiobooks Doctor Who "Dead Air"

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Yes, my list post is a mess on the first page. I wonder if it can be sorted out but maybe it's just as easy to relist everything over again. This happened one other time during a challenge. I'll try tomake sense of it all tomorrow.Also I hope we can get the edit button back.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I got my edit button back.My list is updated.Let me know if anyone wants to participate in the April challenge "Animation/Anime"I started Red DwarfSeason 1, #101 "The End"I've never seen Red Dwarf before. I'm liking it so far.I finished Season 18 episode of Classic Doctor Who, "The Leisure Hive" (all 4 parts)I really didn't like this four episode arc. I have started on season 13 episode, "Pyramids of Mars"I watched movies for the first timeApollo 18 (2011) Abraxas Guardian of the Universe (1990) This was one bad, bad, bad movie.Darkest Hour (2011) Not that bad of a movie. I just didn't care for how the movie was played out.Time Guardian (1987)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I still don't have the edit button but I think I've only seen one sci-fi title since the site went down. I took my first trip to NYC and with March Madness going everything pretty much went out the window (alien wise). Are the stars gone as well?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I saw one of the most appalling movies I have ever seen.Mutant Hunt (1987) Directed by Tim Kincaid (Robot Holocaust) also a pornographer.Delta 7's AKA Cyborgs AKA Mutants AKA Psycho Sexual killers.I kid you not that's how these guys are referred to in the movie.They have been injected with an illegal drug known as uphoria, which makes them out of control.There's a woman that wants to get her hands on the drug. Plus she's created Delta 8's.Some want to be agents have high tech gear on their wrists to track them down and stop them.One of the Delta 7's that's been nearly destroyed can feel pain and wants to be put down.Some scenes resemble soft core porn.Horrible dialogue.And the worst acting you will ever see.Don't forget the new Doctor Who starts Saturday.There is a prequel out now for the episode "Bells of St. John"You really should see it before you watch the new episode.PatW,It looks like you have Netflix. Streaming?There are tons of animated stuff in the "just for kids" section.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
John, thanks. I'll pick up some of the animation titles from Netflix. I was going to recopy all the movies that I watched but I decided why bother since it's getting towards the end of the challenge. So continuing on.....Movies28 The Book of Eli (2010) 4/529 Under the Mountain (2009) 2/5 new watch30 The Day the Sky Exploded (1958) 1.5/5 new watch wa31 Another Earth (2011) 4/532 Doomsday machine (1972) 1/5 new watch33 Jurassic Park (1993)4/534 Star Wars (1977) 4.5/535 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) 3/536 Star Odyssey (1979) 0.5/5 new watch37 Quarantine 2: Terminal (2011) 2/5 new watch38 Quiet Earth (1985) 4/539 The Core (2003) 3.5/540 Serenity (2005) 4.5/541 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) 5/5TV Episodes23 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: The Long Goodbye24 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: Coup d'état25 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: Michael26 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: Inferno27 Stargate Atlantis Season 2: Allies28 Firefly: War Stories29 Firefly: Trash30 Firefly: The Message31 Firefly: Heart of Gold32 Firefly: Objects in Space33 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: No Man's Land34 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: Misbegotten35 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: Irresistable36 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: Sateda37 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: Progeny38 Odyssey 5: Pilot - new watch39 Odyssey 5: Shatterer - new watch40 Odyssey 5: Astronaut Dreams - new watch

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
28 The Book of Eli (2010) 4/5I've always loved post-apocalyptic stories and this one is an interesting story. Denzel Washington is Eli and man travelling across American to reach to West with a valuable book in his possession. Along the way he meets many colourful characters, most harmful to his quest. There have been many movies that have come out since the Mad Max movies came on the scene, and this one might be slightly similar but is different enough and intriguing enough to capture my attention.The cinematography is captivating here with the harsh monotone colours at the beginning and gradually softening and changing the closer he got to the west. I know a lot of people are turned off by the religious implications of the story but that is an aspect I truly enjoy. Good movie.29 Under the Mountain (2009) 2/5 new watchBoring movie about twins that battle shapeshifting aliens underneath volcanos in New Zealand. Sounds interesting right? Wrong. I did enjoy seeing Sam Neill. Not a totally right off but something I don't want to visit again.30 The Day the Sky Exploded (1958) 1.5/5 new watchA group of scientists discover the a group of meteors are on a collision course with earth and if they hit, Well you guessed it. Kind of a dumb movie. It did present some interesting ideas but that's about it. Everything else was boring.31 Another Earth (2011) 4/5A new planet is discovered in our solar system that seems to be a duplicate of our own. On the same night of its discovery a young woman is involved in a terrible traffic accident that leaves the occupants of the other car, a husband in a coma and his wife and son dead. Rhoda the young woman driving the other car and after serving some time in prison, tries to make amends to the survivor in her own way.The story isn't really about the approaching planet so much as it's about Rhoda coming to terms with a lost future and having to face the devastation that she caused with her one careless act. Wonderful heartbreaking movie.32 Doomsday machine (1972) 1/5 new watchQuite a interesting backstory on how this movie came to the light of day. More interesting than the movie itself I'm afraid. Why I gave it one star I don't know. Must of been feeling extra generous that day.33 Jurassic Park (1993)4/5Classic Stephen Spielberg fare that thrilled me on opening day and still thrills me today. That T-Rex was one of the best looking dinosaurs I've seen on film to this day. Too bad the sequels didn't live up to this one.34 Star Wars (1977) 4.5/5My second favourite of the series after The Empire Strikes Back. And yes I shall call it Star Wars because that was its title back when I first saw it.35 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) 3/5A US spaceship returning from Venus crash lands off the coast of Sicily bringing a dangerous creature back with it. Of course the creature grows and then begins to terrorize Rome.Interesting especially for the work of Ray Harryhausen.I could have sworn that I saw this exact creature in another movie featuring Harryhausen work but perhaps it was just a documentary.36 Star Odyssey (1979) 0.5/5 new watchAnother badly made, badly dubbed Italian movie. This time an alien race known as the Guardians of the Universe has earth up on the auction block. After all we're a planet of 10 billion humans that will make excellent slaves for these masters. Unfortunately these guardians had no idea how pesky we humans are. It gets 1/2 point for being so outrageously bad that I enjoyed parts of it. Nod to the two robots who I thought were the best characters in the movie, and believe me that's not saying much.37 Quarantine 2: Terminal (2011) 2/5 new watchNot too much to say about this one. Typical virus infecting people on a plane and turning them into flesh eating monsters. Kept me interested but been there, done that.38 Quiet Earth (1985) 4/5A man wakes up in a motel room and shortly discovers that he might be the last being alive on this earth. He soon is able to tie the disappearances with an experiment called Flashlight that his company was working on. A lot of the first part of the movie deals with his coping skills of being all alone. I won't spoil anymore in case someone wants to see it. Let me just say the ending sequence has had me scratching my head trying to come up with different theories. It's been 25 years since I last saw this movie but I still remember that end to this day and is on my list of favourite endings.Finished watching all of Firefly. Hope to watch Serenity the follow-up before the end of this challenge.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Here is what I watched recently.Finished the four episode arc of Classic Doctor Who episode "Pyramids of Mars"I enjoyed this episode. Especially for part 2, where The Doctor takes Sarah back to her own time to show her the consequences for when she doesn't want to stop Sutekh from destroying the entire world.Family Guy Star Wars spoofsBlue HarvestSomething, Something, Something Dark Side.Which are two very funny episodes even if you're not a Family Guy fan.Fifth Element (1997) One of my big guilty pleasures. There's something about this movie that I really love. Plus I really like Eric Serra's score.Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996) being a fan of MST3K, I love this movie and find it very hilarious.It's been a good number of years since I've watched Firefly, so I'm finally going through my bluray set. I think I'm enjoying it more now than I did when it first aired.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I'll try to get in one more movie tomorrow if possible. I'm hosting Easter dinner so we'll see.39 The Core (2003) 3.5/5I wasn't really a fan of this one but it has grown on me. It's another one of those save Earth from disaster films. The Earth's core has stopped spinning and the only way to reverse that is to drill down to the core. Yeah, wacky premise but for some reason I've really enjoyed it this time around.40 Serenity (2005) 4.5/5This provide an excellent conclusion to the short-lived Firefly series. This was a series that had so much potential but the idiots at the network didn't agree.The movie packs a punch from beginning to end. What I especially liked was the explanation for the Reavers a group of people if you want to call them that, who live on the outskirts of the known inhabited planets. Would I like to see another Firefly movie? I'm not sure since Serenity was such a fitting and good ending to the series.41 Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) 5/5While I can't explain it this is my all-time favourite movie.I really don't have much more to say about this one.TV Episodes33 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: No Man's Land34 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: Misbegotten35 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: Irresistable36 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: Sateda37 Stargate Atlantis Season 3: Progeny38 Odyssey 5: Pilot - new watch39 Odyssey 5: Shatterer - new watch40 Odyssey 5: Astronaut Dreams - new watchNever saw Odyssey 5 when it was playing on tv. Caught this off of Netflix and so far it seems interesting. Looks like it was cancelled though after one season.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I thought I would be able to get one more in but my family is watching Ben Hur so this challenge is over for me. I didn't get to watch as much as I thought but still a most satisfying month.Total movies watched = 41Total tv watched = 40Overall favourite movie = Close Encounters of the Third KindOverall new discovery - really nothing too memorable but if I had to choose one I would say = Darkest HourLeast favourite movie = Super Cyclone

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks