What's new

Marantz SR7200: Will this receiver handle 4 ohm loads? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
SR6200 feedback. Not sure how similar the 7200 power supply is to the 6200, but they are rated the same wattage at least.
The owners manual and back of the 6200 says 6-8 ohm speakers. I imagine you might get away with 4 ohm speakers, but they better not have a minimum of BELOW 4 ohms. If they go below 4 ohms, then I don't know.
[Edited last by Chris PC on September 08, 2001 at 10:52 AM]
[Edited last by Chris PC on September 08, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It should have no problem powering them, however I don't think it's a good idea over a long period of time or at elevated listening levels, especially if the speakers are large and need a lot of power.
The topic does not say it all... What is the application?
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Lucas Hale

Agent
Thanks for the replies thus far. Application is both HT and music. My main speakers are the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 (smallish two way bookshelf monitors). How will the SR7200 handle these? Nominally rated at 4 ohms, but I'm not sure what they drop down to.
Thanks!

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
If its anything like the SR8000 I don't think you will have a problem with 4 ohm loads. I'm using an SR8000 to drive 4 ohm B&W rears and Martin-Logan electrostatic fronts that drop to 1 ohm. I've had absolutely no problems, and I usually drive the receiver at full level.
So if the amplifier section is like the 8000, which if very possible, no problem.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What does the back of the SR 7200 panel say? The back of the 6200 says the receiver handles 6-8 ohm speakers. I had a slight concern with mine because the PSB's I'm running drop to a minimum of 4 ohms. Lenbrook in Pickering OWNS PSB speakers and is the Canadian distributor for Marantz, and they have told me that the PSB speakers and Marantz receivers work fine together and not to worry. If you are concerned about it though, I urge you to do what I am doing and ensure your amp has optimum ventilation. Hotter=less power at the speaker :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Should be fine since they are small. Resistance varies with load, so 4ohms is more of a guideline than a rule, I'd say. Maybe even more of a warning, that amps that cannot provide plenty of clean power, may have trouble with them.
I have my 6200 in an open rack, with a few inches above it, and it doesn't really get hot at all.

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
The back panel of my 7200 says Front A or B, center, surrounds, and surr. back 6-16 ohms, and Front A and B 12-16 ohms. Link Removed
------------------
There can be only one!
My DVDs
[Edited last by Tom Morgan on September 11, 2001 at 11:26 PM]

Will Pons

Auditioning
I noticed on the link showing the back of the Marantz SR7200, it sates "Made In China". How long has Marantz been made there. Should this be of any quality concern vs. Japan?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks