What's new

Marantz DV8400 DVI DVD Player (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm reading a press release in Audio/Video Business magazine that states the Marantz DV8400 DVD player ($1699) has a DVI digital video output with HDCP.

Also states that this model has an audio section which has been upgraded from its predecessor (the 8300).

Has anyone seen one of these around yet?

This seems to be the first Universal DVD player that will have DVI which I want for my future Samsung DLP TV.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
After reading around the Net it seems that the 8400 does not have its DVI output enabled just yet.

There should be a software upgrade available eventually.

Many posters do rave about the 8400's sonics. Much improved over the 8300.

So I will keep an eye out for the upgrade news and put this player on the back burner as possibly my next DVD player.

'

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Still has the chroma bug, and as far as I know, also still has no bass management for DVD-A. I long for the "8500", which hopefully would fix those problems. :)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
If this player ever has its DVI output activated it would be a player to reckon with since many people who own it say its sounds great (better than the Denon) and the video is also very good (as long as your not totally anal about the bug which appears to be very mild in the Marantz).

That it does SACD and DVDA well is a win for me, if it does DVI well to a DLP TV then it will be in my house.

TerryPM

Agent
I have the Marantz 8400- just received it a few weeks ago and spent a couple of weeks breaking it in. It replaced a Sony 9000ES. The sonics on the Marantz are definitely superior to the Sony, particularly on SACD, but the video is definitely inferior. The chroma bug, which I never noticed on the Sony, is VERY apparent on the Marantz. It's deinterlacing also is inferior to the Sony- more moire and shimmering. It also took a lot of tweaking of the video adjustments to get sharpness, white and black levels up to where the picture was comparable to the Sony. It's build quality is also nowhere near the Sony's. I'm still debating whether to keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks