What's new

Mannheim Steamroller in 5.1!? (1 Viewer)

Does anyone have any experience with the new Mannheim Steamroller DVDs? I got a new catalog in the mail over the weekend, and their new Christmas CD comes packaged free with the DVD (audio only) of the same title.
I am trying to figure out if this (and the Fresh Aire 8) DVD's are standard DVD Audio in 5.1, or if they require the DVD Audio players that have not really taken off yet.
------------------
--Craig

Rob Sitze

Auditioning
Where did you see the info for upcoming FA 8 on any 5.1 format?
Chip Davis mentioned this about a year ago during an interview, but I have not see or heard a whisper about this since other than the Mannheim Streamroller HT Demo, which contains a track from that hypothetical release.
------------------
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I don't know exactly what the title is, but Chip/Mannheim/Gramaphone have a DVD designed to show off a digital surround system complete (I think) with test tones, etc. for calibration.
Sorry I don't know anything more specific, I just had it briefly pointed out to me in their newest catalog. I'm sure they have a website with it listed...

>Where did you see the info for upcoming FA 8 on any 5.1 format?<
It's in their new catalog that just came in the mail over the weekend. He says "After 4 years, having 1,000 people working on the project, and $5 million, the Fresh Aire 8 DVD is completed. In Face, I've started a line of DVD's for your home theatre". He goes on to say it's the first in the world to use the DVD14 Format. They come in a double hub with the DVD and a "Free" Cd of the same music I assume. This is where it also mentions the new Christmas Extraordinaire in DVD Music (Music 5.1 only). They don't call it DVD Audio.
He also talks about having remastered the earlier X-mas CD's in HDCD, but I doubt I have the equipment to make rebuying those worth it.
------------------
--Craig

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I received my Mannheim Steamroller Fresh Aire 8 DVD in the mail two days ago. It is a two sided disc. One side is the DVD-Video format, the other side is the DVD-Audio track. It also comes with a CD of the music.
The DVD-Video has a DTS track! I am very pleased with the sound quality of this disc! Outstanding!
Some of the "scenes" that involve actors actually talking didn't seem completely appropriate, at least in terms of what I was expecting, but it is still a very good DVD overall. The use of the surround channels is done extremely well in my opinion. Panning amoung all speakers is very smooth, resulting in sounds that seem to be concentrated a few inches from your face on occassion!
Highly recommended for any Mannheim Steamroller fan! :emoji_thumbsup:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
From American Grammaphone the DVD includes their new CD. The DVD is audio only and it is both DVD Audio and DTS 5.1. You can read about it Link Removed.
Now I have to go to get it.
Parker

Ron Schildt

Agent
Just saw them in concert last nite in Milwaukee. They did give a pitch for the DVD in the intro, and it was in the brochure that I got at the concert to order from.
Should be on their web site too...;)

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I just received the new Mannheim Steamroller DVD of Christmas Extraordinaire. The audio track is either DD 5.1, DTS, or Stereo. On the reverse side, it is set up for the DVD Audio format. So, from the audio perspective, it is great. On the otherhand, the video is just a picture of a Christmas tree, while the program is playing. I was hoping for a little more there, along the lines of A Christmas Angel. There is a featurette that shows the preparation of the DVD. This release also comes with a separate CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks