What's new

Mandingo on DVD? (1 Viewer)

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Does anyone know if there are any plans to release this film, or if this film has ever been released in any Region on DVD?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
About a month ago I tried to order this title on DVD-R from Crimson Cult Video. During the process of transfering the film apparently the source material they were using suffered damage & the transfer could not be completed. I cancelled the order, as that was an option being offered. They were going to contact me when a new source material was obtained. They have not yet emailed me, but the company is going thru a move so I doubt they have had the time to email me. Once they are open for ordering again I'll contact them at their new email address & find out if new source material has been obtained. I have placed one prior order with Crimson Cult, so this is a place that I think is safe to order from.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
"More offensive than Mandingo" - "Samuel L. Bronkowitz" presents...........

I've never seen this movie, but have wanted to ever since seeing "Kentucky Fried Movie"

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This movie is a cult favorite of mine and, yes it is very offensive. I love to quote in my feeble attempt to imitate James Mason -- "Bring me the Mandingo."

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Drum is out on DVD in region 2?!! Wow. I've never seen it, but heard it was more of the same crazines that Mandingo was.

The original laserdisc was full screen, so I opted to stay away from this one. Where in R2 is Drum available?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I watched this as a kid, 15 some years ago. I only remember the pitchfork at his point, and I wish I could erase it from my mind. Despite the absence of further specifics, this movie left a deep impression on my mind, as probably the most unpleasant, most hateful screening experience in my life.

Why the hell did my parents (who were usually much more careful) let me watch this thing? :rolleyes.

I usually try to look at this subject matter with objectivity, but in this case, I just can't. What an ugly, ugly film.

--
Holadem

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Good luck ever seeing this on R1 DVD from Paramount.

I'd like to see the look on Martin Blythe's face as he responds to queries for this and, yes, the Paramount-distributed "The Legend of Nigger Charley" and "The Soul of Nigger Charley" starring Fred Williamson. No, I'm not making those titles up. And yes, they came from Paramount.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Good luck ever seeing this on R1 DVD from Paramount.

I'd like to see the look on Martin Blythe's face as he responds to queries for this and, yes, the Paramount-distributed "The Legend of Nigger Charley" and "The Soul of Nigger Charley" starring Fred Williamson. No, I'm not making those titles up. And yes, they came from Paramount.
Considering how PC some companies can get the best that can be hoped for, I think, is a release in another region other than R1. Or a DVD-R from acompany like Crimson Cult Video.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Mark Cappelletty wrote (post #11):

Maybe Dino ("I didnta wanta disappointa tha kidsa") de Laurentiis, the movie's producer,---or, more likely, his heirs, since he's ancient by now---would buy back the rights from them and distribute it through another, maybe less high-profile company.

I have the laserdisc somewhere, and I'd like to see a release of this film on DVD packaged with the Bill Murray / O.J. Simpson / Larraine Newman Saturday Night Live spoof sketch. How's that for "politically incorrect"?

One is hoky and the other is just a hoot. (Care to guess which one is which?)

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I think we have a better chance of seeing Song of the South on DVD than this movie. This was a vile, crude, and terrible flick. Susan George was one of the hottest and sexiest woman in the 70's though ;) . The only reason to try to sit through this travesty. But, for fans of the film I hope Martin has good news for you someday.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
DeanR wrote (post #16):

Well, Dino was never known for good taste, now was he? The film essentially took the so-called "blaxploitation"---boy, do I hate that monstrosity of a word---trend "upscale" and let out all the stops: cultural taboos about black sexuality and the (supposed) relation of same to the American slavery institution. (In that way, it's quite close to the source material.)

The film basically reduces blacks to sex objects, whites to cartoonish villains obsessed with same, and then throws in those hoky phony "Suthe'n accents"---British people do them so poorly---mixed with bits of (for some) titillating überviolence, meant to provide a legitimizing cover for the luridity and baseness of the treatment of the subject matter.

The value of the movie, in my opinion, lies in what its popularity says about the public and general society of the time. It couldn't---or, rather, wouldn't---be filmed and released today, since the same old cultural taboos have come to reassert themselves (even if on the part of other vested interests with very different pretexts besides those of the usual proponents of the status quo).

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I've wondered this myself, and I would actually like to have this film on DVD, but as much as I like it, I still wouldn't actually refer to it as a "superb film." LOL

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
There was a prior thread on this subject HERE. A search may have revealed it to you. I predict your thread will be closed tim cat. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks