What's new

Malata dvd player any good? (1 Viewer)

NickRHave

Agent
Can anyone tell me how this player stacks up with other players on the market right now. I want a all region player but I also want a good quality player. Can I use this player as my primary dvd player?

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Yes, it is good enough to be your only player. I have two, having just purchased a second one for my bedroom, and the Malata was able to replace a very expensive Pioneer DV-37 as my primary player, and my Apex 600A I had used for playing PAL discs (the Malata cannot be beat for playing PAL discs on an NTSC set), and a Pioneer DV-626 that had been modified for playing non-region 1 NTSC discs. The Malata blows past all of them. I don't think this is hyperbole. There are slightly better players for playing NTSC discs on an NTSC system, but I think the Malata right now is the best player to have if you can only afford one player and want to be able to play discs well (extremely well for film-baed material, not quite so well for video-based discs) from every region in the world.

It's not quite the perfect player (there isn't such a thing right now), and the built quality is so-so along with the remote, but I have been very happy with my players and have not had any problems with the latest firmware upgrade that should on any player you buy at this point in time (though be sure you get the November 9 firmware upgrade and one of the newest generation Malatas that have a firmware upgrade switch on the back).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks