What's new

Madcatz HDTV Component Selector (1 Viewer)

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I picked up the new Mad Catz HDTV component input selector at Gamestop yesterday for $30.
I'd been waiting for this unit, as a affordable alternative to use with my 3 HD systems. At first it seemed to work great, I noticed immediate improvements to brightness and sharpness. In fact the difference was so much that my TV's setting had to be adjusted to compensate. I had been runnig all 3 systems to one component input using 2 Y adapters per jack. The picture was good, but my PS2 always looked dark. So I hooked the MadCatz up, things are looking good, proscan is working, but now as I play GR:IT I notice wavy interference lines scrolling in the background. Not major ones, but definitely noticeable, and I know they'll drive me crazy. Only the Xbox is affected. My GC, PS2 and DVD all looked good. I tried various combinations of component cables, different inputs, moving my system, etc.
Does anyone know what to try? Xbox straight to the set has no interference. Through the selector it does. However, none of the other systems are affected. Can anyone help? If not my friend might buy it off me to try at his house, and I'll have to go back to Y adapters, and I really don't want to do that.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I noticed immediate improvements to brightness and sharpness.
This is a bad sign. A switchbox/selector should not alter the signal at all. Ditch the MadCatz.

If you search the form for "component switchbox", you'll get some good alternatives. (search the hardware forums, videogames, and the archive)

-Dave

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, you'll pay about $80 for this one... but it will keep your signals clean. It's worth it over the Y-jacks... in my opinion.

JVC

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I'm still looking for one with more than 4 inputs. I have my Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, DirecTV reciever, and DVD player to hook up.

Too many components....

Glen

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
This is just one thought but if you are playing an Xbox game in 720p the box may not have the bandwidth to pass it. Most boxes only pass 10 mhz while hD signals 720p/1080i are happier with a 30 mhz capable box.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Have you tried a different game in your Xbox? It could be just GRIT that is causing the problem.

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
I've tried Madden and a few ohers as well. The lines appear on the startup and dashboard too (ie all the time).
It can't be a 720p problem because my TV doesn't do 720p so it isn't on.
And the reason the brightness and sharpness were different is because the picture settings were calibrated using the y adapters, which darkened the image. Remove the y's, the darkness goes away and the picture settings need to be readjusted. It wasn't a problem from the Madcatz.
I'm just wondering why the Xbox is so affected and nothing else is. It works fine for the other systems. Any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks