What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Madame Web (2024) (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I've only watched the trailer but it's hardly surprising it's turned out to be such a dud. An inexperienced director (mainly British TV/soaps) for a film that's clearly directed at teenage girls. There's nothing wrong with making films for teenage girls or boys or senior citizens but a budget of $100m needs broad appeal. Nobody in executive land seems to have a clue about what the audience wants or even quality control. I'm surprised it wasn't buried like Batgirl.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
People were refunding their tickets opening night.

Basketball Wives Reality Tv GIF by VH1

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
New Rockstars The Breakroom does a really good breakdown of Madame Web

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this today IMAX AMC and...

...I don't get all the "worst movie ever" hype.

Is it a good movie? No - it's got bunches of flaws.

But it moves at a decent pace and left me moderately entertained despite the more-than-occasional stupid moments.

Maybe I graded on a curve because I expected an atrocity of epic proportions...

...but I went into "Cats" with similar low expectations and agreed that it was a major disaster.

Like the much-loathed 2015 "Fantastic Four", I don't get the hate.

I found it to be surprisingly watchable!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...I don't get all the "worst movie ever" hype.
As amused as I am by all the stuff I've seen about the movie, I usually tune out when someone says that any studio movie is the worst movie ever. I'm sure Madame Web is not good but I've seen depths not to be believed and I'm positive that it's nowhere near the awfulness of, say, Coleman Francis or the worst of Al Adamson.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I love how this thread has turned into a Coke/Pepsi debate, and yet it is still kind of relevant to the movie! :laugh:
More like a “Let’s trash Dakota Johnson” and her acting skills.

She was great in Suspiria, PB Falcon, Black Mass and others. She’s also been mediocre in ethers. But I just don’t get the hate. She’s fine.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
All actors are at the mercy of the writing and production. Perhaps the skill for the talent and their management is sorting the wheat from the chaff. Nobody wants the stigma of poor box office receipts (something that Cavill is also suffering from). It seems that people no longer turn out to see star names, and there are hundreds more standing behind each of them waiting for their chance.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think that's enough to cause the response it is currently getting. People don't want to go to a movie they think is going to be bad.

But it's going to a radical extreme and being painted as a complete failure and laughably awful.

There are scores of bad movies released every year that don't get lambasted like this one.

I mean, it's compared to "Cats" in terms of crumminess!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, to be clear, when I say it's not a "good movie", that doesn't = "bad" automatically.

I said it's not a good movie because it comes with a bunch of flaws - too many for me to call it officially "good".

But there are levels here and I don't view movies as just good or bad.

As I noted, it's flawed but I found it entertaining - and not in the campy "so bad it's good" way.

It's a mediocre superhero movie. I've seen much worse.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As amused as I am by all the stuff I've seen about the movie, I usually tune out when someone says that any studio movie is the worst movie ever. I'm sure Madame Web is not good but I've seen depths not to be believed and I'm positive that it's nowhere near the awfulness of, say, Coleman Francis or the worst of Al Adamson.

Even if you compare apples/apples, you can find worse.

Just look at big budget Hollywood action movies and you'll locate crummier films.

Crud, "Madame Web" isn't even the worst film in that category released this month - "Argylle" is worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks