What's new

MAD MONSTER PARTY let's work on this one for dvd (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so who remember's mad monster party?
a stop motion movie that, well i'll let Link Removed link describe it.
but since we're getting the rudolph the red nosed reindeer and other related movies on dvd including the tim burton movies. well why not this one.
AMC showed it about a year ago and thats what brought it back to my memory.
i loved it as a kid and did last year when i saw it too.
well i also found Link Removed
link too. you will notice under dvd it says cancelled, check it out. i didn't even know someone was trying to get this on dvd.
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----
[Edited last by TonyD on September 27, 2001 at 11:34 PM]

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
OHMYGOD!!!!!!!
eek.gif
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to release a DVD of Mad Monster Party and now I find out its been cancelled?!?! The world is not a fair place.
I just sort of figured a DVD release of the film was a natural, especially since the VHS version by Deluxo Video was released only a few years ago and there's a huge renewed interest in Rankin-Bass productions.
I took at look at the info posted over at the Link Removed , and the information presented there is disappointing, especially where they said "it just wasn't worth the legal hassles to put it out" on DVD. The previous VHS was mastered from a restored 16mm print, but apparently Deluxo Video discovered that Sony Pictures had a newly restored, color corrected 35mm print of the film (which was showing on AMC), and Sony is refusing to give Deluxo access to this print. I don't really want to try and speculate on the legalities of this matter, but if Deluxo has the rights to release the film on home video, then they should be able to do so using the best materials available. (And why would they discontinue the VHS version right now if they have no chance of getting the better print...? Don't get it.)
Of course, if Sony is refusing to give them the print, one can also hope that maybe Sony plans on releasing a DVD themselves through Columbia TriStar. This is not necessarily a bad thing -- Columbia TriStar transfers are among the best there are, and I can only imagine how gorgeous such a DVD would be. Maybe they should team up with the folks at Deluxo Video -- Columbia TriStar puts out the DVD, with Deluxo supplying whatever cool supplemental materials they have in addition to that little documentary they made.
Well, time will tell...
Jeff
------------------
Jeff Krispow
Retired Reviewer
http://www.laserrot.com
[email protected]

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, I'm hoping this will see the light of day on DVD soon, too. I read a few months ago on RankinBass.com that "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" is coming to DVD from Sony Wonder early in 2002.

Jo_C

Second Unit
For the record, guys...

The rights to "Mad Monster Party" are now held by StudioCanal.

It was originally released by Embassy Pictures. Embassy held the rights to MMP. Through the years, Embassy changed hands through corporate ownership changes. Norman Lear bought the company in the early 1980s, thereafter sold to Coca-Cola Communications (which later became Sony Pictures Entertainment). Embassy later split into two, with Sony retaining the television division while the theatrical and home video division becoming Nelson Entertainment. Nelson was owned for a time by Orion Pictures, and when Orion became bankrupt Nelson was sold and became Sultan Entertainment.

To this day, Sony owns the television rights to the Embassy library (except "Blade Runner", "Time Bandits", "Watership Down" and "The Long Good Friday"). The theatrical rights went through several hands, first to Nelson, then to Dino DeLaurentiis, and then to Polygram.

The home video rights went from Nelson to New Line Home Video very briefly in the 1990s.

Finally, along came MGM and StudioCanal, which purchased nearly the entire Embassy library, so today the theatrical distribution rights are owned by MGM, while StudioCanal now holds the copyright to the Embassy films.

Of course, that doesn't mean MGM owns the video rights to MMP as they were negotiated in a prior deal between StudioCanal and Anchor Bay Entertainment.

Whew! Questions, class?

Eric Wickitt

Agent
Yeah, i've been reading Anchor Bay was putting it out in late 2002 (around Halloween) for a long time now....
it's still on Anchor Bay's release schedule as well:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/future/
They update their site quite frequently, including the list of "future titles", so there's no doubt that it's still on schedule for an Anchor Bay release later this year.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Anchor Bay just got the rights to the 'abandoned' retrospective documentary, to go along with the release of the DVD.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
What's the aspect ratio on this? Since it was a theatrical feature I was expecting something in widescreen, but the DVD is listed as full frame.

Russ Felton

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a blurb from the RankinBass.com website:
MAD MONSTER PARTY!
"Anchor Bay Entertainment will be releasing MAD MONSTER PARTY on DVD & VHS in the summer of 2002. The DVD will be a Special Edition and they do plan to work with Rankin/Bass on this, as well as their upcoming editions of THE DAYDREAMER and THE WACKY WORLD OF MOTHER GOOSE! More details will be announced soon.
If you're not familiar with Anchor Bay, I am pleased to say that they are a well established company that cares about quality. They remaster all of the discs and videos they they manufacture from the best prints available, and produce the best quality editions of video on the market today! - Mark "
Here is a link to the page in question, just scroll down to read it:
http://www.rankinbass.com/news1201.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks