What's new

Mad Magazine cease publishing new issues after fall 2019 (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Warner Bros. had been part of the mix ever since they merged with Kinney National, but as long as Bill Gaines was alive it seems they were safe from corporate meddling. Then Time, Inc. got into the mix. Then Gaines died. Then Time Warner swallowed up AOL only to spin-off that and everything they bought from Time. But DC and E.C. stayed put throughout. So what was the point of moving the whole operation to L.A. if it was just a way of biding time before closing it down altogether? New York was as much a part of MAD's comic sensibility as any other aspect.

The closest they ever got to that was a CD-ROM in the late 1990's that reprinted everything from 1952 up to that point and in the 2000's, a DVD-ROM had everything from the beginning to the mid-2000's. If you're interested in either, I'd recommend waiting a few weeks or months because the prices have shot up since the announcement of the end of the magazine

Now I'm glad I got that years ago. I will never part with it. Hearing about this was almost as bad as hearing about a member of the family dying. I'll always be grateful to my Dad for introducing me to it.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I Was a Mad fan since 58' when i bought my first issue ( #41). I stopped reading it when they went to color pages. Something was missing. It was not the same magazine.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Warner Bros. had been part of the mix ever since they merged with Kinney National, but as long as Bill Gaines was alive it seems they were safe from corporate meddling. Then Time, Inc. got into the mix. Then Gaines died. Then Time Warner swallowed up AOL only to spin-off that and everything they bought from Time. But DC and E.C. stayed put throughout. So what was the point of moving the whole operation to L.A. if it was just a way of biding time before closing it down altogether? New York was as much a part of MAD's comic sensibility as any other aspect.

Now I'm glad I got that years ago. I will never part with it. Hearing about this was almost as bad as hearing about a member of the family dying. I'll always be grateful to my Dad for introducing me to it.

I too am glad I got the MAD CD-ROM set. Not long ago my sister needed the rules for 43-man squamish and I was able to locate and print them from the CD. I don't know how the game turned out.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Up the Academy...was that the only Mad Magazine venture into feature films?

Exciting news! MAD has signed an A-list film writer to pen a sequel to 1979’s ‘MAD Presents Up the Academy’. Details coming soon!
6:36 PM · Mar 2, 2018 · Twitter Web Client

• In the tradition of Mad making fun of movies, the magazine spoofed their own film with "Mad Magazine Resents Throw Up the Academy". The parody mainly concerned Ron Leibman's name being removed, and the teenage troublemakers being punished by having to star in the film. Unlike most Mad movie parodies which are often several pages in length, this one was only two (appearing in place of the magazine's usual letters column), as the piece devolved into a series of supposed interoffice memos by the writer, artist and editors, all decrying their role in the parody. Finally, a fake note said that the entire staff of Mad quit over their shame, and the article was hereby discontinued.
  • The statue featuring Alfred E. Neuman with a pigeon on his head is currently located in Mad's editorial offices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks