What's new

Mad Magazine cease publishing new issues after fall 2019 (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Now I'm worried
6821624-7207940565-madpa.jpg
... :(

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I was a HUGE fan during its 70's run. (I was born in '61 so it was a great balance of adolescent and adult humor.) I was also a fan of Cracked, mostly because of John Severin's work. I had TONS of the reprint paperbacks...a great part of my teen and young adult years!

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I remember reading MAD Magazine as a kid back in the '80's & laughing my @$$ off. Hilarious & laugh-out-loud funny. I especially liked Al Jaffee's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions, the fold-outs in the back, the movie/TV parodies, and "The Lighter Side of..." - great stuff here.

However, IMHO the magazine was at it's best from the '50's - '70's. I remember reading some of the reprints from that era (both the small TPB's & the regular size mag. reprints) and finding these issues extremely clever, witty, & well-written - with great artwork.

In recent years it's been a shadow of it's former self. I've picked it up & paged through in (on the newsstand) from the '90's -on, and it's not at all funny anymore. Sad.

In any case, no surprise that it's ending. It should have happened a long time ago.

Unfortunately, there have been a severe lack of current classic-era (what I would consider the '50's - '80's) MAD reprint Collected Editions (i.e., volumes reprinting multiple issues). Other than some now long OOP sub-par pocket-sized Trades from years ago - or the "best of" volumes like "Mad about the '60's", etc. - there really have not been that many reprints of this iconic mag.

Since I'm such a fan of the older material, I would definitely be for a series of CE's reprinting the title from the very beginning, unedited - with all of the articles, covers, etc. intact. I know there were some Archives reprinted years ago, but AFAIK they never went that far - and they're all OOP these days anyway.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I purchased MAD over 3 different multi-year spans between 1965 and 1992. I discovered the magazine while on a family vacation to Chicago in 1965/66 (don't remember for sure) having purchased a copy from the hotel newsstand as I was out of reading material. I loved it and would purchase it whenever a a new issue appeared at my local newsstand. That continued until I graduated college and funds became a bit tight. I started again in the early 80s and purchased for a 6-7 year run. Basically came to the conclusion I was reading mostly recycled material and it all just felt the same. I wasn't laughing at the material so I stopped again. The last run was when I heard Gains had passed. I purchased the last 7-8 issues to get those last few with his name listed as Publisher. I sampled an occasional issue between then and now but it just never resonated like it did in the 60s/70s. I still own every issue I've purchased. Even though it's a pale echo of its early days it's sad to see it go.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since I'm such a fan of the older material, I would definitely be for a series of CE's reprinting the title from the very beginning, unedited - with all of the articles, covers, etc. intact. I know there were some Archives reprinted years ago, but AFAIK they never went that far - and they're all OOP these days anyway.
Those Mad Archives books were intended to reprint just the comic books (issues 1 to 23) but the last volume did include the first magazine issue (#24). It's fun to see the comic books but they definitely aren't yet the Mad of the 1960's and 70's that everyone is familiar with.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Those Mad Archives books were intended to reprint just the comic books (issues 1 to 23) but the last volume did include the first magazine issue (#24). It's fun to see the comic books but they definitely aren't yet the Mad of the 1960's and 70's that everyone is familiar with.

The best part of the comic book run were the covers and Wally Wood/Bill Elder cartoon/comic book parodies. Those two were AMAZING at copying styles!

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim

Yes, that's what I remember about the Archives (never bought any, but did see them at one point). I knew they never went that far. So, I would definitely be all-for another series of CE's that delved into the later years of the magazine - but not sure if that will ever happen.

The compilation reprints out there ("Mad about the '60's", etc.) are only cherry-picking parts of various issues over certain eras/decades - which is better than nothing. However, my strong preference would be a series of CE's that reprinted every issue cover to cover, in chronological order, etc. Not sure if anything like this will ever come out, but it would be great if it did.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that's what I remember about the Archives (never bought any, but did see them at one point). I knew they never went that far. So, I would definitely be all-for another series of CE's that delved into the later years of the magazine - but not sure if that will ever happen.

The compilation reprints out there ("Mad about the '60's", etc.) are only cherry-picking parts of various issues over certain eras/decades - which is better than nothing. However, my strong preference would be a series of CE's that reprinted every issue cover to cover, in chronological order, etc. Not sure if anything like this will ever come out, but it would be great if it did.
The closest they ever got to that was a CD-ROM in the late 1990's that reprinted everything from 1952 up to that point and in the 2000's, a DVD-ROM had everything from the beginning to the mid-2000's. If you're interested in either, I'd recommend waiting a few weeks or months because the prices have shot up since the announcement of the end of the magazine

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Not with DC owning MAD.

They can't even get a hundred issue span of, say, Justice League of America reprinted before cutting bait and starting over again in another format.

So MAD? Best choice is finding a copy of that GIT DVD from a while back.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
The closest they ever got to that was a CD-ROM in the late 1990's that reprinted everything from 1952 up to that point and in the 2000's, a DVD-ROM had everything from the beginning to the mid-2000's. If you're interested in either, I'd recommend waiting a few weeks or months because the prices have shot up since the announcement of the end of the magazine

I have the cd rom.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Not with DC owning MAD.

They can't even get a hundred issue span of, say, Justice League of America reprinted before cutting bait and starting over again in another format.

Sadly, I completely agree with this. In addition to being a huge movie/TV show fan, I'm also a fan of DC & Marvel CE's. And, DC's CE program has always been lacking from many different stand-points.

Edwin-S

Premium
Not a magazine that I had any particular fondness for. The only parts I did like were "The Lighter Side of..." and "Spy vs Spy". I found the mainstay of the magazine, movie parodies, boring. The back fold-in was good too, because that was where they used to make most of their political statements.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I bought the complete set of The Fugitive solely on the basis on the Mad parody of it, which I have always remembered.
I assume I saw the show some in its original run although I don't recall it.

My favorite part of the parody was a frame with a water truck in the background labeled "Making Streets Look Like It just Rained, Inc."

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Not a magazine that I had any particular fondness for. The only parts I did like were "The Lighter Side of..." and "Spy vs Spy". I found the mainstay of the magazine, movie parodies, boring. The back fold-in was good too, because that was where they used to make most of their political statements.

To some extent, I agree. Though I liked some of the movie/TV show parodies, I strongly preferred the other sections as well - i.e., the Don Martin cartoons, the "Lighter Side of", the one-page mock ads, the fold out in the back, and various other articles, spoofs, etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The back fold-in was good too, because that was where they used to make most of their political statements.
Mad has satirized politics since the 60's but they've been quite active in that area for the last 15 years or so. To the point where I'm shocked that a magazine that is basically supposed to be a product sold to everyone so clearly takes a "side".

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Unfortunately, there have been a severe lack of current classic-era (what I would consider the '50's - '80's) MAD reprint Collected Editions (i.e., volumes reprinting multiple issues). Other than some now long OOP sub-par pocket-sized Trades from years ago - or the "best of" volumes like "Mad about the '60's", etc. - there really have not been that many reprints of this iconic mag.

There is Spy vs. Spy: The Complete Casebook (a lesser, but much cheaper, version of Spy vs. Spy Omnibus) and its sequel, Spy vs. Spy 2: The Joke and Dagger Files.

These, too, might now be out-of-print.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel
Recent bookmarks