What's new

Macrovision Problem on my Pioneer DV-45A ??? (1 Viewer)

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Just purchased the Pioneer DV-45A (DVS-655A in Australia) and seem to have a video output problem.

On R1 discs only (NTSC) i am getting faint horizontal scan lines appearing randomly throughout the main title on various discs. My Sony WEGA 68cm is PAL/NTSC compatible so that shouldn't be a problem, and i'm using monster componant from the player to the TV.

This same artifact is not appearing when i play R4 titles (PAL) or when i play my only R1 MGM title (which i believe don't have macrovision enabled-correct me if i'm wrong).

Does anyone know of this problem on this or any other player that might help me solve this before i have to take the player back to the shop....??

My old 'cheaper' Pioneer never had this problem with NTSC or PAL discs on the same TV.

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Is no one having this problem at all ???
Any info would be much appreciated - even just related to macrovision in general.
Thanks.

Sach

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure about this as you may have already tried it.

The 45A in US does not have the PAL system playback.

I had the 47A which had this capability. One thing I remember is to set the system setting to either NTSC or auto. Have you tried this? I think the system setting goes from AUTO to NTSC to PAL. Try to set it to NTSC and see what happens. If macrovision does kick in, shouldn't the picture be really distorted so it cannot be seen at all.
I assume you are seeing a fairly good picture, right?

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
I assume you are seeing a fairly good picture, right?
I'm seeing a great picture! It's just that there a distortions popping up randomly through various movies that look to me like colour striping...and i'm only assuming this has something to do with the macrovision signal.

My Sony WEGA auto selects PAL or NTSC so i have no manual control over this setting, but i haven't tried the manual setting on the 45A...i'll try that next.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Wish I could offer some help, but I have not noticed any problems whatsoever with my 45A. FTR, I am connected to a Pioneer 533 HDTV capable WS display via component cables, and run the player is progressive mode exclusively. I am not sure if I have played any titles with or withcout Macrovision, but I assume that most titles do have it.

Just out of curiosity, is this a modded player? Given that you can play R1 and R4 discs, I would assume so, yes?

BL

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiosity, is this a modded player?
Yes it is modded for multi-region playback (almost all players in Australia are now modded!)

My older Pioneer 535 was also modded but never displayed this artifacting that the 45A is now showing (on the same Sony Wega) on R1 discs.

I'm thinking disabling macrovision might actually solve the problem - not that i've had a reason to do this before but in this case i think i might have to consider.

It is very frustrating as the 45A outputs such a fine picture with the exception of this annoying problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks