What's new

M&K v-125 and my new Pioneer Elite SC-07 (1 Viewer)

TSPM

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
Hi everyone........well I am new new new to this THX experience.......I was running older ADCOM seperates until I purchsed a SHARP LCD 65" limited edition 120HZ tv. I wanted to go all HDMI and simplify things as well as get good theater. So I also purchased the Pioneer Elite SC-07 unit which seemed to get good write ups. So for now here is my first bridge to cross.....the M&K sub with a M&K High Pass filter off the ADCOM GFP-1A. This was all RCA cable also to the back of the Powered M&K Sub. SO.........Now I have this trick Pioneer unit....what should I do.....run speaker wire to the Sub....Use RCA's ? Ditch the High Pass filter and let the Pioneer SC-07 handle it all.................H E L P!!!!

Thanks

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
IMO (unless someone who knows more about your sub tells you otherwise), let the Pioneer handle the crossovers. Turn all filters/dsps/other gimmicks off on the sub and run the Auto EQ (MACC, I think) on the Pioneer. Afterward, make sure all your speakers are set to small and crossed over around 80Hz.

TSPM

Auditioning
Real Name
paul
Thanks ........ why set ALL the speakers to SMALL ?

Just wondering

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
SMALL means "send the low frequencies to the subwoofer". LARGE means "allow the speakers to handle the low frequencies (only send LFE to the sub). In most cases, it is much better to allow the sub to handle the bass (after all, that was it was made for). Good bass has a lot to do with location. The best place in your room to produce the best low frequencies is usually not the same place you need you mains (to produce the best imaging/sound).

LARGE/SMALL is not about the size of the speaker. More correct terms should "Bass Managed/Not Bass Managed".

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You should continue to send the SUB audio output to the M&K sub-woofer via the SUB OUT jack (RCA) on your receiver. You should NOT be connecting your M&K Sub via "speaker wires" which would mean that the receiver is amplifying the signal to the Sub woofer. In over 99% of the cases it's better to use an active sub's internal amp to amplify the signal than the amps found in any receiver. The Sub's amp is specifically designed to work with your SUB and bypassing it defeats the whole purpose of the sub's design.

The fact that your happen to use an RCA jack to get the sound from your receiver to your sub woofer has nothing to do with your desire to "go all HDMI." This refers to interconnecting components such as sources, receivers and displays and nothing at all with connecting speakers. Your "regular" speakers (assuming that they are not internally amplified) are connected with speaker wire to the receiver. Your sub or subs is (are) connected via RCA jacks from the SUB OUT on the receiver.

And in most cases, "SMALL" is the preferred speaker setting when using a sub woofer. As explained elsewhere, it has very little to do with the size of the speakers but refers to what frequencies go where.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks