LP's that didn't get Cd'd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Watson, Aug 18, 2002.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Do you have favorite albums or even songs that never made the vinyl to CD transition?

In an era when it seems like almost everything has been issued on CD, there are still a few albums I'd like to get that I miss being able to play.

I'll start with SOUL SURFING, a Kai Winding (a jazzman) pop effort from the early 1960's. Best known for the hit single "More". The album has never been out on Cd to my knowledge, tho the song More has been on dozens of compilations.

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The Nails "Mood Swing" - never been on CD, probably never will. Many years down and it still has timely lyrics...
    "Oh how I love this suit, that the devil gave me to wear in Beruit, where the whores are dancing on the table tops, and the jukebox plays apocalyptic beebop."

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Buckingham/Nicks is a major example of a great lp that has never been on cd.

4. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. Jerry Hostler

Jerry Hostler Stunt Coordinator

Brian May - Starfleet Project

I still have the original album, but haven't had a turntable in years.

Jerry

7. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

My wife has always wanted an album called "The Flying Machine" by a band of the same name. They had a minor hit with a song called "Smile A Little Smile For Me". I have never seen it available.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Adrian Belew's first couple of albums. There is an very good compilation of them on CD, but I'd rather have all that music.

9. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Steve Miller Band - Recall The Beginning...A Journey From Eden (1972) The best SMB album ever IMHO.
    Tom

10. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

There is a slew of albums that I would dearly love on CD but have never happened. That is what lead me to buy a new turntable, a cd burner, and seek out mint copies of those albums about three years ago.

If I were to list them they would bore you to tears...but they are truly special to me and I quess that it is all that matters.:b

11. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

There are four David Friesen albums that were released on Inner City Records in the '70s:

Through the Listening Glass
    Star Dance
    Waterfall Rainbow
    Other Mansions

I wrote to the company that owns the rights and got back a catalog of croaky-okie stuff.

I'd like better access to teh EMI-Reflexe Studio der Fruhen Musik releases.

12. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Anything by Allan Sherman....

Edit: "Anything" is not the name of an album. I mean, there have been no CDs (except for a greatest hits collection)

13. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I had a reprint LP of Buckingham / Nicks. Alas, I sold it off some years ago.
    Another album I would like to have on CD is "5th Avenue Sax", when Nino Tempo went funky in the early 1970s. Forunately I still have this LP, but its in pretty poor shape.
    I keep checking for reissues of 5th Avenue sax and Soul Surfing, but no luck.
    A mysterious album I remember owning was Maria Muldaur singing jazz, she did Transbluesency on it. But now I can't even find a listing for this album on All Music Guide.
    [​IMG]

14. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

The first few early King Crimson live albums are finally getting released on CD this year, I think: Earthbound and USA.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Here's a weird thing: Hank Mobley's Roll Call was released as a DAD (highly recommended, btw), but never on CD; or if it was, it isn't being sold anywhere. [​IMG]
    Jethro Tull, Nightcap- Chataeu D'Isaster Tapes

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Some albums I'd like to see on CD or SACD:

Automatic Man's self titled 1st.
    Edgar Winter & The White Trash - RECYCLED.
    Donovan's COSMIC WHEELS, actually was in print on CD briefly but is rare as hell.
    all of Marc Benno's solo albums
    Terence Boylan's two very intresting albums.
    Nicky Hopkins several very good albums, most especially THE DREAMER.
    Root Boy Slim & The Sex Change Band's first two albums and the stuff on KingSnake Records too.
    Arthur Conley's SWEET SOUL MUSIC.
    Lvingston Taylor's MAN'S BEST FRIEND.
    quite a few of Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen LP's have never been on CD.
    Firesign Theatre's EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG and HOW TIME FLIES which features Wolfman Jack in a guest slot.

You shouldn't have to go international to get all The Tubes, Harvey Mason, Boz Scaggs, Free, Humble Pie, and many others that are over thar, somewhar. This list could get pretty long...!

19. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I didn't know any COMMANDER CODY LPs ever went to CD, tho I have 2 different CC & LPA compilation CDs. But I saved my CC & LPA albums thinking I'd make my own compilation tape some day; now I have to see if I can figure out how to digitize them!

That would put me in the O Zone!

20. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Wow....The Rings, great call Philip!!! This really was a great band, but not very well-known...strange and nice to see someone else remembers them.
    A few off the top of my head:
    FM - City Of Fear
    Four Out Of 5 Doctors - Self-titled and 2nd Opinion
    Widowmaker - Self-titled and Too Late To Cry ...this is the great English rock band from the late 70's NOT the awful one from the 80's.
    Garland Jeffreys - American Boy & Girl
    Garfield - Out There Tonight
    Jon