What's new

LP's that didn't get Cd'd (1 Viewer)

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
How 'bout the Pousette-Dart band (only a compilation is available),
and Thomas Dolby's first NEEDS to be remastered... it was one of the 1st cds made and sounds remarkably bad. Aliens ate my Buick is OOP as well.
The Producers is finally out on CD (that was one cd that made me ponder not buying a cd player until it was released, but I gave in. I think they finally got around to it in 1997.)

What about SACD or DVD audio? It must be frustrating for companies actually to decide who's going to get the lucky upgrade.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have an early eighties Motown LP called "Pops We Love You - The Album". The title song (featuring Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, & Stevie Wonder) and the album were made as a tribute to Berry Gordy, Sr. Some of the tracks, including the title track, have shown up in different places on CD, but a couple of the tracks don't seem to be available in digital format.

Regards,

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
Neil Young:

Journey Through The Past
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
American Stars'n'Bars
Hawks & Doves
Re-ac-tor

Can you tell that I like Neil Young. But the LP's are good enough for now.

Doug

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Point Blank - American Excess is a favorite 1981 Rock album of mine that I don't believe has ever seen a CD release.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
and perpetually complaining about the "moldy oldies" station at work.
I complain when they don't play it.

Anyway, I recently bought a good LP by an early 1960s R&B singer named Dee Dee Sharp, "It's Mashed Potato Time." Two of the songs, "Mashed Potato Time" and "Gravy" can be heard in the movie "Hairspray." The album will probably never make it to CD because it was a Cameo/Parkway release, and Abkco Records, the current owners of that catalog won't release that library to anyone, which includes original recordings of Chubby Checker's early 1960s dance hits (the ones on CD are obvious rerecordings). Does anyone know why the Cameo/Parkway library is being held hostage?

And Marvin, my dad has those old Allan Sherman LPs.

I have a Macintosh computer and a decent turntable, plus my parents' collection of LPs, some of which I may actually like. What audio clean-up software do you recommend?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Matthew, I think I have all of them on CD copies of the LPs. I use a stereo-based CD recorder, not a PC-based recorder, so I don't have any personal experience with audio clean-up software.

However, I've gotten cleaned-up copies of these LPs from someone who uses a program called "Cool Edit" to remove surface noise, and it seems to do a good job. I've also read good things about a less expensive program called "Goldwave" but I've never heard anything produced using this.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Matthew, I used to read of imminent releases of those Cameo-Parkway records throughhout the 1990's.

The bootleggers have had a field day meeting the demand, to the extent of my wondering if ABKO was perhaps behind them?
Maybe they hope to sell the catalog twice?

I Was disappointed that the HAIRSPRAY CD didn't have those songs on it.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Dam funny world...

Dee Dee Sharp performed live on the PBS Roots Rock program broadcast on Boston PBS earlier this evening.

Kind of a ps to my last post

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brian May - Starfleet Project
I still have the original album, but haven't had a turntable in years.
Jerry
While that mini album hasn't been released on it's own, the songs *were* officially released on CD as B-sides to Brian's UK singles "Back to the Light" part 1 & 2. They were also released together on Brian's Japanese mini-album "Resurrection".

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Just went to see Camper Van Beethoveen last night - only 4 shows 2 in SF & 2 in NYC. Sounded great ...all the same band members too.
Found out their 1st, Telephone free landslide Victory isn't out on cd.
My Lp is #1669..I think it got reissued on some other label cause everyone seems to know "take the skinheads bowling"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks