What's new

Lowering Brightness and Color Temperature on Smart TV Apps (1 Viewer)

tmc1284

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Carroll
I just purchased an LG 43UH6100 and also own a Sony XBR43X830C Smart TV. It seems that I am unable to control any of the display settings when using apps such as Amazon Video. I have the LG in my bedroom and want to lower the brightness and decrease the color temperature. However, for both the LG and Sony, when I change the display settings it only changes them for the HDMI Input and not for apps. Both of them are recent models so if you own an LG or Sony Smart TV and can lower the brightness or the color temperature please let me know how to do so.

If it is not possible to lower the brightness or color temperature with these models, please let me know if you have a Smart TV that allows you to control these display settings for apps as I use it in my bedroom and the default brightness & color temperature makes it a little difficult to fall asleep.

tmc1284

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Carroll
Is there a workaround I could use to watch the Amazon Video app and control the brightness & color temperature if I cannot control it on my TV?

tmc1284

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Carroll

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

tmc1284

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Carroll
I presume the Fire Box will only adjust the Amazon app. I'd rather the TV to the adjusting.

The Fire Box has all of the apps like NetFlix etc... that are on the Home Screen of most Smart TVs and you can download other apps. I'm able to change the display settings when watching TV through any of the HDMI ports, but I also have my Cable Box hooked up to the Drift TV unit as the Drift TV is able to lower the color temperature more..

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
I too would be interested in an answer to this question. I have the LG 65UH8500.

I have the 75UH8500 model and I can control the display settings (brightness, HDR, DVision etc) for the Amazon Video app or any other app like VUDU and Google Play. Maybe I am not understanding the question.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When making an adjustment to the settings it applies to the current input source the tv is currently set to. If you're watching hdmi 1, that's what the changes are applied to. However, as I understand it, when watching the tv apps, it is not, for the purposes of adjusting the settings, an input. I asked about this on another forum and it was confirmed there.

Are you saying you can adjust the settings for the apps independently of the inputs like hdmi 1, 2, etc?

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. I am watching Man in the High Castle through the Amazon Prime Video app and I can change display settings with the magic remote. And the settings stick for that HDR or Dolby Vision configuration for that app. I am feeling I am not understanding the question.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes. I am watching Man in the High Castle through the Amazon Prime Video app and I can change display settings with the magic remote. And the settings stick for that HDR or Dolby Vision configuration for that app. I am feeling I am not understanding the question.
The OP and my experience has been that adjustment don't apply to app but to an input source. An input source is that into which you plug a cable. Since the apps are internal to the TV, it seems we cannot adjust them. Can you explicitly describe how you adjust your app settings. If you can, list every step you take and I will try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks