What's new

LOTR at a hotel near you? (1 Viewer)

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Just had a stay at a Marriott in NJ and on ther pay per view list was The Fellowship of the Rings. I'm not a frequent guest at hotels and was wondering if it is odd that they would get the rights prior to its release to the public. At $11.95 though, I figured I would save it for the DVD release.

Bill

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Hotels and airplanes are definitely some of the least-thought-of release windows people think of. It's all about the studios getting the most bang-for-the-buck... Consider (in no particular order): box office, video rental (DVD and VHS are generally day-and-date), satellite, PPV, free-to-air TV, premium TV, hotel, airplane. I might be missing one or two.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
We stayed at 3 Hampton Inns between VA and Chicago and they all had it on their PPV. Along with Monsters, Inc, We Were Soldiers and Ice Age.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Movies typically show up on hotel PPV within 3 months of release.

It's Pan & Scan every single time tho, so don't bother

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
There are annual licencing agreements available to companies such as airlines, tour bus agents and hotels that allow business customers and other travellers to view movies ahead of their consumer release date. Criterion Pictures (Not that Criterion) is one such supplier - they also do non-theatrical rentals to universities, libraries, and the like and operate in both Canada and the U.S.
http://www.criterionpic.com/

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They still make 16mm prints of almost-recent releases too- I'd love to get my hands on some!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks