What's new

Lost season 3 discussion.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Someone posted this at the Toon Zone forum. It was about a big event the producers mentioned....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller
Tom was gunna. Jack asked why they couldn't take Ben off the island for treatmentand Tom answered "well when the sky turned purple...." he was cut off by something, I don't remember what exactly. This is implying that the sky turning purple somehow prevents them from leaving too. Or at least communicating with the outside world (since Juliette is pretty sure she's off )

Oh.....wow...that explains why they said (the following) may happen:

Spoiler:
The producers said to watch out for an event that happened around the time they're in right now (December 2004)...and without any communication, they aren't going to be able to know what's going to happen. Plus there wasn't very much warning about it before hand anywhere anyway. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about gets a special secret nonexistent prize!

And someone quickly figured out what it is...
The tsunami? That hit the Indian Ocean x-mas 2004

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It's hard to trust producers who have said time and time again that they are going to start answering questions and movie the plot forward and do for an episode or two and then fall back into the same ol' thing.
If I remember right they said we would be blown away by the first few episodes of this season and with the cliffhanger and truthfully it was nothing really that exciting about it.

So what Claire on this Island when she dissapeared or the other Island? If Alex helped her escape did she use that same boat and take her back to the Losties Island?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I also suspect that Alex is Ben's adoptive, not biological, daughter. If she is his biological daughter then Rousseau either didn't recognize Ben after 16 years (which is extremely unlikely) or she isn't actually Rousseau's daughter (though we've certainly been led to believe she is her daughter).

So right now, the simplest answer is that Ben raised her as his daughter when she was taken. She may or may not know she is not his biological daughter. Even if she knew, that shouldn't stop her from referring to him as "my father" since he raised her. And being "just an adopted daughter" shouldn't keep Ben from being just as attached to her as if she came from his own balls.

Yes, it seems that there is now at least some limitation of The Others' ability to communicate with the mainland or go to it. As has been mentioned, Jack asked Tom why, if they could leave the island, didn't they just take Ben to a facility to treat him. His reply was interrupted, but we basically got something like "Well, after the sky turned purple...." So the implication seems to be that they are cut off now to at least some degree. Maybe just communications, maybe more. Maybe a relatively temporary thing (though time moves much more slowly within the show compared to our 'real time', so it could last for a while in "show time') or maybe it is a more permanent problem. Not enough info yet.

Yes, I expected Juliet's ex-husband to be hit by a bus as soon as she said that to the Hanso/Dharma recruiters (who I 'made' for what they were relatively early in their first pitch to her). Was still fun to see it play out though.

As for shooting the walkie-talkie, I think the way it was meant to be taken was that it was a shot that just happened to hit it but was intended to hit Kate (or Sawyer). All those guys were interested in was killing them.

I also agree that they should have played this with that first block. It would have been much more satisfying. I hope it is true that next season gets played all at once (like 24).

Great episode!

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
This nicely sums up my feelings as well. I was expecting more from this episode, especially after all the "LOST is Back" hype. Seems like we get two new mysteries for each question answered. It's about time to reverse the trend.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I personally don't believe that Alex is Ben's biological daughter, but just to hypothesize if she is, then people have been asking why Russeau didn't recognize Ben.

To that I say... what makes you think she didn't? All she said to Sayid when Ben was in the net was "He IS one of them. He will lie to you." Sounds like she was dead certain of who he was. It would also explain why he was captured so easily, and why it was her who captured him.

Of course this my all be moot. I think I remember Russeau teling Sayid that she was pregnant BEFORE she got to the island.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Of course, this episode also provided the first direct evidence that the Others operate beyond the island. Which makes one wonder about the real origin of Claire's baby as well.

--
H

Arild

Supporting Actor

Also, when Rosseau first captured Sayid early in the series and he asked her if she'd seen other people on the island, she said "No... but they whisper". She's never seen the others, only heard them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Probably due to the fact that my dual-tuner TIVO was handling
American Idol and 2 episodes of LOST last night, I only got the
1-hour recap.

I can download it on my iPod for $2, but my question is, is
this episode worth it? Will I miss much if I skip it?

Just so I am certain of which episode top download, was
this week's show entitle "Not In Portland"?

I feel really odd about this as I have yet to miss an episode.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
'Not in Portland' was last nights episode. I think that you can watch them for free on ABC.com after they air, can you not?

Oh, and yes, I would say it's rather important not to miss last nights episode.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I noticed this too, but I figure she was under more stress back then; plus island living does wonders for you.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

yep, my fiancee audibly groaned at that!
I dunno. We were REALLY into the first 2 seasons (watched them in a marathon on DVD) but really seeing the in our opinion's, complete bumblingness (is that a word) of most of the others (except for Ethan) I just feel like THESE are the people who were so formidable last year?
I think although frustsrating at times, it worked much better when we didn't really know who the "wizard" behind the curtain was.
Now it seems to have just boiled down to just a pretty conventional
"A-Team" type, "someone from one group gets kidnapped, others from that group try to rescue them..."
What I think got people hooked on the show was the mystery of the island, now that (at least for this season so far) it's really just been scaled back to this conventional "us vs. them" scenario where these once formidable mysterious adversaries are now getting duped with the "old wookie trick..."

:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

ep did nothing foe me too.

also jack could have tried to lip read ben if the was a mirror on the floor.

ben was face down on a table

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks