What's new

LOST season 2 discussion thread...... (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
does anyone else find it minorly annoying when Jin keeps speaking Korean to people he KNOWS won't have a clue of what he's saying? :) i mean if i was trapped on an island with people who didn't speak a word of english, i'd use hand signals or start trying to learn basic words from their language (which i suppose he is but rarely uses them) like 'yes,no'. i wouldn't keep talking hyper-fast in my own language.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

part of the answer may lie in 'why is Henry here'? i mean IF he was actually trapped by accident, then he could have escaped when he went through the vent. he stayed (as Sayid or Jack said) because he though the balloon story would check out. so he ~chooses~ to stay. is he staying for the hatch or the Losties? if it's for the hatch, you would assume it'd be much easier to take/infiltrate when it was just Desmond. and if you say they never knew about the hatch before the Losties came, well he did ~talk~ like he knew about the hatch, as in 'the timer is a joke' or something.

next, why did Henry say the timer was useless? if it wasn't, he may be suicidal if it is a doomsday machine or he may be just playing a very dangerous mindgame with Locke, knowing Locke would keep pushing it anyways.

also remember Michael inferred that the computer/timer thing is useless, based on information he may have gotten from Walt through the screen (of course he might be bonkers).

but i do like Locke out of the hatch, on the beach, etc. he originally totally had faith in the Island. he then thought the timer and the hatch was part of the Island, and part of his purpose. but with all the lying and the questions, and his own mistakes in who to believe, i think he's starting to differentiate between the Island and the Others. it was cool when he said 'i'm done with the hatch'.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Eric, I'm having trouble posting in the forum and edited what you picked out in quotes. those were two previous theories I had seen posters present> I came up with two more...because I'm firm in my quite possibly mistaken belief that the reset does something.

Wasnt Walts warning ambigious in the sense it was cut off (memory Drat!) and what he was trying to tell Michael was not clear? Danger about the computer but not specified, why?

There could be some on the island who want it reset...and some who don't. People have opposing thoughts on what will save the world.

Eric since I have noticed myself starting to wave hands yet still speaking away in my native tongue to someone whom I know does not understnad English. (they just keep shaking their head at me :D ) I find it absurdly accurate. If not born mute and schooled to communicate by voice it is very hard to reign in your ingrained version of expression. There is always the slight hope a key word or two will get through.
(Edit: Kevin said it best!!!!)

EricW

Senior HTF Member

not really - since Jin's the only non-english person on the island, he should learn it - so it's not so bad people speak it to him. i mean, if he doesn't WANT to learn it, fine, but it's his problem unfortunately. :P

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You've obviously never been among people who didn't speak your language. Jin's ways are perfectly normal.

I will give you the hyper-fast part. Typically, one would talk slower, and attempt to emphasize key words, in order to convey the meaning through intonations.

--
H

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

I think it made it seem pretty clear that he was lying, in the next episode, when Locke was banging on the door asking him if he really entered in the numbers, and we see Henry give the evil grin to himself.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure if I mentioned this earlier (I certainly meant to), but during the lock down, Henry was shown freaking out in his cell, where no one could see him.

If he knew what the lock down was, then that sort of writing (showing him acting scared when no one was looking) is not only unfair to the audience, it's just plain bad.

Now that cat is out of the back, we get to see him grinning to himself. Quite absurd really.

--
H

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I still weight that Henry seem anguished/honest (for a moment) with Locke the day of lockdown, was scared during lockdown...and ...strange since he does not get the trustworthy award on the island ....very odd, that he stuck around during the cover all the commotion provided.
Writers have an edge in spinning sentences and scenes to get you to look the wrong way during a mystery. But I'm always watching for that fine line they try not to cross so that it makes sense when the viewer's tally up using hindsight.

I noted the evil grin (how could you miss it - great closeup) but just added it to Henry's often deliberate pulling of Locke's chain. Just as he has made several attempts to stir trouble between Locke and Jack.

Henry's manipulative, I'm still trying to sort out his goals.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, I hate those "recap" shows. I'd rather they just show a repeat. At least then my Tivo won't record it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
So what exactly happens during these recap shows? Are they like clip shows? Or do we have a presenter? Is there a voice over? Is it like a documentary giving an overview of the season so far? With cast interviews and the like?

--
H

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Holadem,

If I remember correctly from the one last season, it just showed clips from previous episodes but with a voiceover providing some explanation to fill in the gaps. While I didn't feel it was necessary as I'd seen all the episodes, they did a decent job catching up people who may have missed a few eps or even a significant portion of the season. Plus, the areas they choose to highlight may provide some clues as to areas that will be focused on as the season ends.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I think Peter Coyote narrated the one last year. I liked the one last year because we weren't watching in the beginning so it helped us out. I'll like this one because even though I've seen all this season's episodes my memory is less than perfect. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks