What's new

LOST season 2 discussion thread...... (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Especially odd since that character was supposed to die in the first episode.

That's part of what makes me skeptical that the writers/creators have any sort of firm outline...a character that wasn't supposed to survive the first episode is now the untouchable "center" of the show.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, I find Jack essential as a character, not as a plot device. Things could have gone much the same without him.

Skilled writers know how to weave characters in and out of series with relatively minimal impact on the overall outline.

--
H

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Yes, what Travis said.

I think there may be a misconception out there that Matthew Fox/"Jack" was supposed to die but they changed it during filming the pilot or something.

But that isn't what happened. As Travis said, the change from having Jack die to not having him die was conceptual change made during the development of the show and writing of the pilot.

The idea was that the Jack character would be set up to be the leader (I think they said they were considering Michael Keaton in a "making-of", didn't they?), then when he got killed in the pilot, the Kate character would become the leader. Based on this, they had different ideas for who/what "Kate" would be as well.

They decided to change this to keep Jack and alter the character of Kate after feedback from people who read the early drafts of the pilot.

So whether or not you think the writers have a plan, this issue has nothing to do with making the point either way. It was a creative decision made in the development early on, just like they changed/created characters based on actors they wanted to work with or had hired. Didn't they say they were considering the actress who plays Sun to play Kate when "Kate" would have been the "Jack/leader" character, and then when they decided to go a different way they created the character of Sun (and then Jin) just because they wanted to have her be part of the show?

But again, this is all show/concept development, not "making it up as you go" once the show is off and running.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I totally forgot until this recap episode (I don't usually watch the recap episodes, but decided to tonight), but did anyone ever decide what Desmond was injecting himself with? I assume its the vaccine that I think they needed Claire's baby for.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'd guess the same thing was injected Claire's baby. Don't forget that outside of the hatch is quarantined (according to the interior of the door they dynamited off at the beginning of the year). Or maybe the Dharma group just wants their button pushers to think that something outside the hatch will make them sick.

EDIT: Just saw that TV Shows On DVD says this season is coming out on DVD on September 5. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5550

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Well, it could be a psychological type of control for Desmond (if he thinks something outside might make him sick, it would keep him inside pushing the button), but I really don't think that Claire's baby is going to remember the injection.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
She hears muted conversation beyond the door... ...they are still [at it].
She walks in just as Holadem is saying:
“...yes, even Locke IMO”

[yelps] “HOLADEM I WARNED YOU.”

...slaps his face [sobs] spins on her heel, exits muttering. “Locke will be the last survivor.”

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Like that? I suspect you may not reach high enough ;)

I had the recap on while cooking last night, I enjoyed it (the recap, not the food. Actually the food was good too. Forget to add bell peppers though. But turns out I didn't really miss them. However I was very dissapointed in the Cayenne pepper and Habeneros, couldn't taste them a at, and god knows I added liberal amounts. Weird).

I forgot quite a few things, like the fact that Jack thinking they are the subject of an experiment, or the "Other" which infiltrated the tailers and got offed by Anna Lucia.

Still, it would have been nice if the recap was followed by a new episode, a sorta two hour special thing, rather than being stand alone.

--
H

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Awww h I didn’t mean it Holadem. I’m not the slapping type. Have done that only once in the entirety of my life; (ashamed to state); but it was well-deserved and I warned him first so he blocked. :D)

"Like that? I suspect you may not reach high enough" come to think of it, I’m just now putting name to face, I think I have seen a pic posted of you a couple of years back; haven’t you acted? And your really very tall.

.....in that case you were sitting down! :laugh:

Just got in: hope the Tivo caught the recap!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Ah, but if everybody thinks that, I'll be the only one playing the lottery in my area using The Numbers, so I'll still win big. (Not sure I want to see my relatives die, my house burn to the ground and end up stranded on some wacko island, though. :D)

And yes, I have played The Numbers. Of course, they just lose for me like my other numbers do. Nothing I copy from TV seems to work. I plucked one of my eye-lashes the other day, but did Courtney Thorne-Smith invite me to bed for sex, pizza and football? No! :D (OK, there has to be at least one person in this thread who gets that reference. ;))

Regards,

Joe

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Ok... I can not find the spoiler option. I'm sorry. So, I'm just going to code it myself, does anyone know if the old HTF is coming back?

POTENTIALY HUGE SPOILER FOR SEASON

sorry i dont know how to make it white if you changed your mind, 2 hour season finalle all on desond

04/18 - [Quite spoilery, highlight at your own risk... In flashback that is set in 2000 in L.A., Libby buys Desmond coffee and offers him her boat. Charlie and Eko enter the hatch to get dynamite. Rose and Locke have a chat. Later in the episode, we see Desmond lying on the beach shore, waking up, being carried to the hatch, and Desmond and Kelvin walking through the jungle. While in prison (not sure if it's on island or flashback), Widmore tells Desmond off. There will be one scene of Desmond in the stadium and Dr. Candle will appear.]

I know kelvin was the dude in hatch with dessy, candle is the guy in the orrintation tapes, but who is Widmore??? is it maybe the owner of all the widmore stuff we've seen?

The author of that offered no reasoning, at first I thought maybe he saw some of it being filmed... not sure. It could possibly just be the author's hope for the season finale, I have no idea. I don't want to post stuff that is not true, but it seems kind of believable...

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks