What's new

'Lost Highway' Region 4 (0) PAL Review... (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member

The transfer is disappointing. Cloudy at times to moderately sharp at others. There are moments of brightness and sharp contrast but it is never consistent. I would say this DVD is a failure. It is possible for those that love the film that this image inconsistency is acceptable and possibly done on purpose by Lynch. I don't think so myself and may eventually compare it to one of the other DVD versions out there one day. I have the impression the DVD was not made from a clean transfer. The sound quality is pretty good actually, certainly better than the image. The extras are great for his fans and a bit of a yawn for the rest of us. There are no subtitles and the cover is poorly done, again making me feel this was made "on the cheap". I would suggest waiting for an R1 if any of the R2's are the same as this. 2/5.

By the looks of things the German r2 is the one to get if you want this film...

FULL REVIEW is HERE

Cheers,

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Gary,

I agree with your review. However, the German version has a horrible lipsync problem that makes it unwatchable for me.

Supposedly, the disc from Portugal is excellent but I haven't seen any formal reviews.

Jeff

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review Gary! I'll probably just hold out for the eventual US release.

Gregory

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
I have no problem with the quality of my Japanese release... sure it doesn't have DTS audio, but the image quality is quite acceptable and the audio is just fine.

Also, there are no extras, but that worries me not as in this case I just wanted the film. (My Japanese release of A Straight Story however does have DTS audio and a few extras including interviews).

regards, Tim...

John O

Stunt Coordinator
I got the Region 4 DVD for $8.00 shipped from CD-WOW and I have to say the image maybe disappointing, but it is better than my old laser disc :).

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Nor did I - I think the German issue is a good stopgap until a US version comes out (anyone know who would be releasing it in America by the way?)

The German disc (rereleased in an Amaray style case now) is far superior to a 'stopgap' version. It has a great transfer.

The USA owner should be Universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks