What's new

Looks like it will be a Superman/Batman team up movie for 2004... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The problem with this is that I have no trust in WB...they apparently rape their properties/cash cows instead of celebrating them. My hatred for B&R is well-known (but I'll never miss an opportunity to throw out some digs), and this isn't making me feel better.

The previously mentioned Gibbons/Rude World's Finest would be a great way to work this...DKR is superior but not mainstream enough. They are both tremendous stories that show the similarities and differences between Batman/Superman and Bruce/Clark.

As for Bats being smart...way underused. That's his edge. Their teamings have always been based on mutual respect of each other's principles, if not methods. Obviously, Supes is far more powerful than Bruce, but Bruce has more will, focus, and intelligence than any other hero on the planet. It's never been explored in film (yet - I hold out hope for Darren A), but this Supes/Bats dynamic is gold in the right hands...few of which are in Hollywood.

A shame to see WB learn all the wrong lessons...

Take care,
Chuck

P.S. Baldwin would have been great. I liked Clooney (which is the ONLY half-ass thing I'll ever say about B&R - I hated his costumes, lines, motivations, and everything else...but he was OK).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I didn't read that as a physical battle between the two. It would be a conflict of styles, maybe stepping on each other's feet.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Neither of Petersen's superheroes have been cast. However, just as Sam Raimi made the unlikely choice of Tobey Maguire for his hit "Spider-Man," Petersen said he is seeking actors who can offer complex emotions as well as six-pack abs.
That quote makes me hopeful. Also, the director has done some great work. It sounds like he's taking a solid and thoughtful approach to the project (unlike Shumacher's "They laughed at the Batsuit nipples in Batman Forever... Let's make the whole next movie like that!")

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The script was written by Kevin Walker which kind of makes me curious about this.

BTW, Batman biggest asset is his brain. I remember a old comic where Batman faced the Hulk. Batman,Superman, 2 main villians, it seems like a lot for a 2 hour movie.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
The title of this new movie, according to Cinescape Online, is "BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN".
Does that mean that they're gonna go at it instead of helping each other out?

Whatever it is, I also don't think is a good idea to put big stars in those roles. Let them be either unknowns or up and coming actors.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
. My hatred for B&R is well-known (but I'll never miss an opportunity to throw out some digs), and this isn't making me feel better.
If some hack director and crappy writer were associated with this project I would agree. But Petersen is a fantastic director(DAS BOOT and IN THE LINE OF FIRE are great, among other films he has done) and Kevin Walker is an interesting writer. I am optimistic about this one; it might be great!

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
I guess I just don't understand. How can Batman fight Superman? That would be like Aquaman fighting any other super-hero wouldn't it? :D
Seriously, can someone answer how Batman could actually fight Superman given their powers? (ok, that sounds reall geeky, someone bail me out :))

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, in the comics, Clark gave Bruce a piece of kryptonite in case he ever crossed a line/was possessed/etc.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Paul,

In the Dark Knight Returns storyline, in a nutshell, it's a future story where Bats is about 60ish, kinda along the lines of Batman Beyond. All superheroes are in hiding with Supes being a "g-man". Apparently, the gov't banned superhero activities and got Supes to "force" the other superheroes into retirement in exchange for being able to stay active.

Bats calls Supes out. Bats enlists the help of Green Arrow earier (one armed now apparently lost earlier by way of Supes) who eventually shoots a synthysized kryptonite arrow Supes way. Supes catches it at the last minute and Bats explains that he synthesized the kryptonite for this eventual battle. Bats then beats the @#$%& out of Supes using what's left of his exoskeleton strength.

Bottom line, get kryptonite, then you or I can beat Supes to a pulp.

Bob

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Seriously, can someone answer how Batman could actually fight Superman given their powers?
It's very simple! It's funny how everyone seems to think that Superman is invincible and all. Give me a piece of Kryptonite and I would be able to beat him. Now, just imagine what Batman would do.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yes...he uses kryptonite. AFTER Superman barely survived a massive nuclear explosion on him, AFTER Bats sends several missiles at him, AFTER Bats sends millions of volts of electricity through him, and AFTER Bats begins beating him to a pulp with a super powered suit of exo-skeletal armor. :) THEN, he whacks him with Kryptonite and proceeds to REALLY pummel him with the armored fists.
And, even then, Bats' plan is to LOSE by dying from a heart attack because he knows Supes will get the best of him.
And, this portrayal in DKR is the most intelligent possibility of them fighting, IMO.
So...what to do for a movie? Well...I think it's a given they will screw it up. Regardless of who is writing it now, it will be written by dozens before it's done. And, they may fight early on in the film, but will have to eventually team up to face two villains, right? Sorry...this movie is destined for awfulness.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
They don't nesessary have to be physically fighting. In the cartoon movie "World's Finest". Supes at first doesn't like Bats methods. He uses his x-ray vision to see who bats is. In return when Supes returns to his apartment he sees a small homing beacon on his cape. He then looks out the window and sees Bats looking and waving at him. So even without superpowers Bats was able to use his mind and gadgets to do back what Supes did to him.
I personally hope they don't make it about them fighting. I think it would be best to see their different crime fighting styles clash at first, then they kick some super-villians butts. Then grudgingly learn to respect one another. I wil be disappointed if the movie is about them fighting each other.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I'll write this on the off chance someone who counts who's attached to the film or studio reads it and gets the right idea. Superman vs Batman, not a bad idea. MUCH more prone to stupid failure than if the two heroes were in individual new films, but also seems like it could be extremely cool if done 'right'.
What would right be? First off, it has to not be as laughable as Batman & Robin or Superman IV were; those were jokes and pathetic. Very unrealistic, very comedic-not-in-a-good-way. Yes realism can apply to a comic book movie without losing the comic book aspects. Comics are largely about heroes and the personal dilemmas they face, and this should be transferred to the movie as it was so successfully and entertainingly in X-Men and Spider-man. X-Men was about Wolverine and his loner aspects, about his search for a place to belong, for people who treat him as a person and not as a freak. Spider-man is about a basically normal and nerdy guy who never fits in learning how to adapt to his heroic side even as his normal self struggles with all the usual problems we all understand. These are primary reasons they resonated so well fiscally with audiences.
Superman is an extremely heroic hero. He stands on the cliff as a beacon of justice and safety. His physical powers are enormous and there's little he can't accomplish in some way or another. Batman is a dark driven hero, and he acts as the right for the unrighted wrongs. He stands on the bridge and dares you to pass, and uses intelligence and his gadget skills to tend to his vigilante-hero needs.
The director and writers (sigh, I know it won't be just one) for Superman and Batman should MAKE TIME to read a healthy selection of the comics related to each hero. Dark Knight Returns is required Batman reading, and I would suggest the Death of Superman as well, then branch from there and keep reading. Spider-man has topped US$400mil at North American box offices largely because the creative team behind it stayed utterly true to the comic origins and established story of Spidey. Batman & Robin failed because it DIDN'T. Take an extremely well paid week (wish I could get paid to read comics for work) and a few hundred of those BIG movie dollars to a local comic shop for research.
The movie itself? I don't think there's been enough information released just yet for us to know how the project seems to be going. If it's going to be a 'buddy' flick, that's cool as long as it's not kiddie buddy. They can be a heroic team without losing their individual character (i.e., Superman doesn't have to mope around and be driven by the past like Batman, nor does Batman have to become a boy scout who swoops down from the gothic above to help a lady across the street). If a head-to-head, I would think starting them working together on some big heroic problem then differing on how to go about resolving it leading to their confrontation … something like that could play out very well. Obviously Batman can't go toe-to-toe with Superman, and to attempt to show it that way would be stupid; but likewise Superman is a little smarter than to simply walk into some gadget filled deathtrap Batman's constructed somewhere for him. There are tens of thousands, at least, of gamers and comic fans in the world who can probably think of a half dozen different ways they'd go about taking on Superman if they found themselves in Batman's shoes. Some of these ideas are probably rather interesting and entertaining; so pick one! ;)
I ultimately have high hopes for this project; I'm a comic fan (in part), not a Marvel fan. So many great properties are not Marvel, just as a number of excellent ones are Marvel. DC has some great stories that could hit the big screen and do well, if only the creative teams can be found to faithfully adapt them visually. Please do a great flick so we can enjoy it!
Damn, who wants pie?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
David,

Your words are exactly what I am thinking. Hopefully, someone in charge will listen.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think we'll see some sort of showdown between the two of them.
And I also think we'll see a recreation of sorts of the end of Dark Knight Returns. The high powered suit, gadgets and such is the way for Batman to fight back.
Remember that Superman stands for principle(honor,truth, justice)but he has alot of pride. If Batman called him out he would definitely answer thinking that while Batman would definitely be setting a trap, he still wouldnt stand a chance. Remember his words on DKR "Bruce this is crazy, youre flesh and blood like the rest of them"(or something like that)as he rips of his helmet and crushes his armor
Both characters are very intelligent but Batmans willingness to break the rules when backed against a wall would give him a slight advantage and as we all know Kryptonite can even things out.
The possibilites for this are really great if done right. I would prefer to see this story in 2 films filmed at once and then edited into 2.
I think Walker is a very good writter. Sam Hamms first Batman script was excellent but the movie didnt turn out that way.
Lets hope they dont screw it up.Although I cant imagine it ever being worse than Batman & Robin

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if they would risk doing a Dark Knight Returns style movie. I say this because as popular as it is among comic book fans. It is not that well known amoungst the general public.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
In a script penned by Andrew Kevin Walker ("Seven"), the two superheroes are allies who come to mighty blows over what Petersen describes as differing philosophies.
This "mighty blows" thing (quote taken from the CNN article posted above) is what suggests to me pretty strongly that there is a fight involved, not to mention the very implication of the title "Superman Vs. Batman". For a film to succeed financially, it can't just appeal to fanboys. Therefore, this film ought to deliver what its title implies, or else it will receive bad word of mouth from the non-fanboys, unless the story is really great, and how many times have we seen a really great story in a superhero movie?? That's my take on it. Some people have suggested that my assumption of a physical fight between Superman and Batman is unwarranted, but that is precisely what the article explicitly suggests and the title pretty clearly implies.
My first reaction to this suggestion, before I posted earlier in this thread, was that there were two likely scenarios of what would happen if this played out with any real faithfulness to the abilities of the comic book characters.
1.) Batman holds kryptonite and taunts Superman for ninety minutes before he finally dies.
Or
2.) The film lasts about thirty minutes. Twenty-five of it is setup for the conflict. Superman then kills Batman with one punch, and the film resolves loose plot threads in the final five minutes.
Admittedly, I'm being sarcastic here, and I hope for better things from this project, but I have no faith in the dubba dubba dubba you bee's ability to make a really good comic movie after what they did to both the Batman and Superman franchises. :angry:
Pleeeeeeeeeease, Warner...Prove me wrong! I'd be delighted.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
More comments from Peterson
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/145...headlines=true
---segment---
And though Petersen is reluctant to spill many secrets, he has promised that "Batman vs. Superman" will contain villains, lots of action and absolutely no Robin.
"I cannot tell you what really gets them together. I can say that much of [the conflict] is because of the different philosophies that they represent," the director said. "Superman represents sort of everything clear and bright and noble. He represents our hopes and ideals. Batman, on the other hand, represents the dark and obsessive and vengeful side.
"The plot is structured in a way that these two very different sides basically of the same coin have to clash at some point because they handle situations totally differently. ... For a large portion of the thing they are at each other's throats. But then, of course, because they are both crime fighters, they join forces again and fight evil."
---end segment---

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The film lasts about thirty minutes. Twenty-five of it is setup for the conflict. Superman then kills Batman with one punch, and the film resolves loose plot threads in the final five minutes.
Except, Superman *doesn't kill*. Ever. Nor does Batman, for that matter; they're both fundamentally opposed to it.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, the current Supes did kill once, but he had no choice. That's why he made his vow never to kill again.

At any rate, the movies (and TV shows) usually use whatever they think is best from the different continuities. Think we might see the reintroduction of Red Kryptonite or something stupid like that...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks