What's new

Looks like it will be a Superman/Batman team up movie for 2004... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Although, I still think Russell Crowe IS Batman. I can deal with Colin Farrell. Chuck is right regarding Jude Law. He just doesn't have the build to play Supes. But, their are worse people they could have gotten (ie-Nic Cage & Will Smith).

I just hope they are faithfull to the comics and that they won't try to "re-invent" them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Russell Crowe is too cost prohibitive salary-wise.

I'd laugh my butt off if they casted Vin Diesel as Superman (pop a wig on him and let him fly).

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I absolutely adore these choices!
Folks remember this argument from 1988:
Michael Keaton doesn't have the build to play Batman!
Whatever flaws you might have had with the first Batman movie, Michael Keaton's build wasn't part of them.
Colin Farrell is a great choice for Bats, but I truly think Jude Law for Superman is absolutely inspired! Think about it: Superman is the World's Finest (heh) Boy Scout, a being of near god-like power while retaining a humble, American Midwestern upbringing. Law may be a "pretty-boy", but I think he has the chops to handle both the godlike and humble sides of Superman's personality.
This casting, combined with Wolfgang Peterson's direction and a script by Andrew Kevin Walker, has got me extremely excited about this project!!
So don't fuck it up, Warners... I want to see both the Batcave and the Fortress of Solitude, Luthor and Joker as villains, no Robin, and S.T.A.R. Labs. Oh, and a cameo appearance by Irwin Schwab...

EricW

Senior HTF Member
is it possible someone got it wrong? i think Farrell would be great for Superman and Law would be a great Batman.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thank you, Eric...my thoughts exactly.

I love Jude Law as an actor, and he could act it well, no doubts.

But Superman is like Abraham Lincoln...he LOOKS a certain way. That's a part of who he is.

While I didn't care for Michael Keaton's Batman, there were ways to make him look bigger in the suit. There is no way with Superman...he's wearing tights (unless they change THAT as well). Colin...he has the chin and face. Jude would be fine for Batman, although I'd prefer Bale. It doesn't matter...my wife would go for any of these men!

But who plays Superman should be dependent upon their physical stature...it is too much a part of the imagery.

Take care,
Chuck

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
That's very true, Adam. Jude is far superior to other choices I have heard, and he's a hell of an actor to boot. I think reversing them would be great. Keeping as is would be fine as well, just not my preference:)
Take care,
Chuck

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Whatever flaws you might have had with the first Batman movie, Michael Keaton's build wasn't part of them.
Not directly, perhaps, but to make Batman an imposing figure, they had to put Keaton into that big, sculpted costume - and then he was just about completely immobile. For a character always depicted in the comics as a fluid fighter and master of multiple martial arts disciplines, the action scenes were pretty stiff.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Not directly, perhaps, but to make Batman an imposing figure, they had to put Keaton into that big, sculpted costume - and then he was just about completely immobile"

Exactly! He couldnt even turn his head in that thing(Hint to the creative team-that is not good for a crime fighter, especially when surrounded in a dark alley)

"For a character always depicted in the comics as a fluid fighter and master of multiple martial arts disciplines, the action scenes were pretty stiff."

They were terrible. I remember shaking my head in the theater watching Batman Returns,seeing Keaton lower his head and turn in circles as the bad guys knocked each other out.

Jason,
Once again you and I see eye to eye on the Keaton/Armor Suit thing.
I despise the armored suit. The sequels werent any better, and I STILL SAY if they had gotten someone like Bruce Willis for the role, the suit wouldnt have been needed.
Keaton was a lousy choice for Batman, plain and simple.
I nearly ripped a magazine in shop rite when I saw the first pics of the Supersuits from Batman Forever. I said "That isnt Batman it looks like Robobat".

The armored Supersuits should have been saved for Superman and I can see needing it for protection against Mr Freeze, but other than that it just isnt "really Batman"

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
A Brit playing Superman, a Irish actor playing Batman, and a German director. Now that's what I called inspired.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
At least we know from Minority Report that Colin Farrell can do a very good American accent. Not knowing much about the actor, I didn't even know he was Irish until someone told me afterward. That won't be a problem atleast.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Too true...my wife almost fell over when she saw an interview with Farrell on TV recently. Besides, I am more than happy to import the talent when it seems dry at home :D
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. The key is the script (as usual).

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
A great director, two great actors, and a proven script writer. I really think WB is committed to making not only a good movie, but a potentially great one.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Not to be the party pooper, I like the casting of Ferrell, but Jude Law as Supes? Jude Law is scrawny. He's no Superman. A good actor, but not the type physically. Someone please convince me. Jeez! We go from Christopher Lee at 6'4" 225 pounds, to Jude Law as 5'11" 150 pounds.

I love that they can act, and I like both as actors. Man am I bummed.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Not to be the party pooper, I like the casting of Ferrell, but Jude Law as Supes? Jude Law is scrawny. He's no Superman. A good actor, but not the type physically. Someone please convince me. Jeez! We go from Christopher Lee at 6'4" 225 pounds, to Jude Law as 5'11" 150 pounds.
Christopher Reeve? :)
One thing to keep in mind about Law - and I actually agree in worrying how right he is for Superman even if he's an excellent actor - is that Hollywood has really developed a science for transforming actors' bodies in very short periods of time. Law might be too lean now, but stick him with a hard ass personal trainer and serious diet program for six months to a year and he might end up having some very serious muscle growth and definition by the time filming starts. Probably still won't be nearly as big as Reeve was, but possibly physical enough to make an effective Superman.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I don't know. It is tough to find a good enough actor with the right body. But Law is only about 5'11" and from what I've read is only about 150 pounds. Believe me, it will be difficult for him to put on 30 pounds. Even if he did, he'd still be 5-6 inches shorter than Supes and only weigh about 180 pounds.

Oh well, he's a great actor, but I doubt I'd ever buy him as the man of steel. I guess I can just hope for a great performances and forget about his looks, if that is possible. Turn it around and cast Ferrell as Supes, and at least that would be a bit better. Batman is easy to do, because you can put him in a muscle suit. I guess you could do the same thing with Law, but doing that with that particular costume wouldn't look right.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread