What's new

Looking to upgrade after 8 years -- Help (1 Viewer)

Todd_N

Agent
Well I am thinking about finally replacing my Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX that I got back in 1999 No DTS even. Receiver works great but it is time for an upgrade.

There are 2 things I am looking for. First I am looking for a receiver that supports HDMI 1.3 (TrueHD, etc.) so that I can take full advantage of my PS3 blu-ray capabilities.

Second also PS3 related. Is there a receiver out there that can scale 720p component in to 1080i component out? I have a Pioneer Elite 710HD TV that I am very happy with but it only accepts 1080i component for HD. The PS3 does not have scaling built in for PS3 game video playback so unfortunately many of their 720p games get downrezzed to 480p for me.

I know external scalers exist but they are quite expensive. I figure if there is a receiver that can do this I can kill 2 birds with one stone -- and not need to upgrade my TV just yet.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I doubt you'll find that kind of scaling in a receiver. The VSX-09TX is a hell of a receiver. I'm still using its "regular Pioneer" little brother the VSX-D606S in my bedroom and it kicks ass.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I'm not sure about the Video issue, but you don't need HDMI 1.3 to take advantage of newer sound formats found on HD disks. Currently, the players decode the TureHD/DTS-HD MA formats and pass this to the receiver as PCM. All you need is a receiver that will accept PCM via HDMI (1.1). If you want HDMI 1.3, definently get it, but it is not required.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks