What's new

Looking to buy a new reciever and i've got 500 to spend. Any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm finally ready to upgrade my crappy Technics DD/DTS reciever I bought 3 years ago and get something better.

I would really love to upgrade to DD EX and DTS ES, but can I even buy a good reciever with both for 500?

I'll take any suggestions as long as it's at, or below my cieling cost. Thanks.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Now John, with as many posts on your pistol grip as you already have, I would think you'd be answering this yourself.:D Of course, you could have been spending all that time wandering in other, less useful topics of discussion.:frowning:
All kidding aside, there are quite a few choices out there. I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions. Let me ask a few questions to fine-tune the process:
1) what speakers are you now running/plan to run in the future?
2) does it matter if your source is authorized or not?
3) do you have a specific need for certain numbers of inputs types?
4) do you plan to use video switching and if so, what is your current/planned video capability?
See, it only gets easier from here.;) BTW, did you ever get tempted to cook any eggs on that Technics?:angry:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
did you ever get tempted to cook any eggs on that Technics?
:laugh: Tell me about it! That thing gets hotter than a 2 dollar hooker! :eek:
As far as me asking for help in this matter goes, it's been a good while since i've bought a reciever and just want to get the most bang for my buck. I try to stay current on the technology side of things as much as possible though. Which is why I know what DD EX and DTS ES are without ever owning either of those new formats.
To answer your questions, i'm not going to do any A/V switching with this new reciever, right now I own a complete SONY speaker array with a Jensen subwoofer, but the speakers may get replaced once I buy the reciever, i'll have to see on that. No special input types required, and if possible would like either a SONY, Pioneer, or Onkyo reciever.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer VSX-D811S is great for HT, but lacks in music. It has DD-EX, DTS-ES, DPLII, and NEO:6. It has provisions for 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setups. It usually gets really good reviews as a entry level receiver. It sells online for around $300 + sh. If you want to save some cash but still get a really good receiver for the price point, this a great way to go.

If you're willing to spend the full $500, there are a couple of different ways to go. For mainly HT, but w/ solid 2ch performance to boot, i'd reccomend either the Denon 2802 or the new 1803. Both are very nice with all the options you'd want, great amplification sections, and most people around here generally like denon.

Another way to go is w/ HK. Most people who either listen to mainly music or 50/50 music/ht will reccomend HK. The 320 and 520 come to mind, although it would be tough to find a 520 for $500. Both have DD-EX and DTS-ES, but they forgo DPLII in favor of their proprietary Logic7 decoding, which is very well liked among HT Forum posters. Only other drawback is they lack internal amplification for the rear channels, so when you decided to move up to a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setup, you would have to add external amplification.

So basicly, if saving $$$ is a big priority, go w/ the 811S. You won't be disapointed for the price. If HT is your major concern, look at the Denon 1803 and 2802. If 2ch music is a larger factor, look at the HKs.

Hope this helps.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I believe the new Denon AVR-1803 is right up your alley...DTS-ES/DD-EX, $500, good reputation.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
After looking at harmanaudio, the 320 has neither DPLII or DD-EX. The 520 has DPLII, and Logic 7 in place of DDEX.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Actually all the x20 receivers (ie 320, 220, 120) all have DPL2. If you look at the detailed product information, it's there. Later.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Aren't the 320 and 520 DD-EX compatible. I thought they were but cannot claim it due to licensing. I was under the impression that 320 and 520 owners having the extra amp channels on this forum have reported decoding such discs.

SamN

Agent
For $500 I would probably go with the Denon. Recently onecall.com had the 520 for $577 shipped. You may call them and still be able to get it for that. If you could spend the extra I would go with the 520.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
You have to call for the price. Website info does not apply in these cases. But I think Onecall has ended that particular sale. Couldn't hurt to give 'em a ring.

SamN

Agent
Pablo, if you can't get a good price on the phone, you can head over to hometheaterspot.com and join and get in on their group buy. I haven't emailed to get a price, but it should be in the same ballpark.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
John,
Keep in mind that if you choose one of the HK receivers, you will have to get a separate amp for DTS-ES. The HK's (except the 8000) don't have DD ex and they all only have 5 channels of amplification. I would look into the Onkyo TSR600, Denon 1803, Pioneer 811, or a Marantz sr5200 or 6200. They are all at or below your price range and would serve you well.

Best of Luck,
Dalton

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If you get the HK, then I'd recommend using the Technics to temporarily power the two rears until you replace it with a better amp.

Greg Stamm

Auditioning
I got my HK 520 shipped to me last week for $577.00, but as Paul said, you have to call to get the price. They asked where I heard about the price so I mentioned this forum. If you just use their website all you get is the 10% off deal ($809.00).

I just set mine up last night, but have not calibrated it yet - just ran it with the default settings. I ran into some issues because.......I don't know what I'm doing, but I eventually figured them out. Sometimes the manual could be clearer! For home theater it sounded great. For 2-channel I'm not sure if it sounded better than my old Sansuii 771 stereo receiver, the Sansuii may actually have a smoother sound. I need to play more. The Sansuii weighed as much as the AVR-520!

Good luck,
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks