What's new

Looking for widescreen laserdisc of The Keep (1983) (1 Viewer)

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Since I'm getting my new (to me) laserdisc player, I might as well buy some movies that might never see the light of day on DVD. If anyone has The Keep on widecrseen LD, please let me know.

One of many great Michael Mann films

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Just to let you know, this is a difficult-to-find title even on Ebay and gets a pretty good price (maybe $60-$80) when it does appear. Good luck, though.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Now that Legend has finally been released as a Director's Cut, IMHO there is no film more in need of a Director's Cut release than The Keep .

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
IMHO there is no film more in need of a Director's Cut release than The Keep .
No doubt, with carefully engineered computer effects the unfinished FX that no one could figure out at the time* could now be completed.
* Wally Veevers died while making the film and being an old school FX guy he didn't share "tricks of the trade" with anybody so when he passed away they brought in several FX experts to try and figure out what he was planing, they couldn't do it. The entire end sequence was cut from the film and the only time it was ever shown was on network TV in a badly edited version.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Back in 83 I read the book and was dying to see the movie.
I havent seen this film since around 87 probally.
It was directed by Michael Mann too :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The Theatrical version freezes on her looking at the opening to the Keep, the original version (if I remember correctly, realize that I only saw this once back in 1989 or 90) has her going back into the keep and down into the "tomb" where Glaeken has fought with Molasar and imprisoned him, she walks up to an apparently dead Glaeken who wakes up and kisses her as she takes him out of the Keep.

I might be wrong on a few of these points but that is what I remember from the one time I saw the Network version at a party (so I wasn't able to give it my full attention;) ). I know about the Wally Veevers story from an interview with Scott Glenn in Starlog from 1983.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
I just read about some of the alternate versions on imdb. Very interesting. The only ending I remember was the Glaeken and Molasar get sucked back into the tomb, never to be seen again.
Jonz, I read the book about a year ago. The movie is overall much better in terms of mood and characterization. I had been looking all over for the book, and was actually dissapointed when I read it.
Which ending is on the laserdisc?

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
I already read the link, but that was almost a year ago.
I've been considering buying the LD, but would certainly hold off IF the DVD were worth it (original ending, or at least alternative endings.)
I'm interested in seeing the unfinished effects that were left out at the end of the film, also.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Eric_R_C wrote:

Well, Mr. Blythe's replies for reasons of lack of time are few and far between, as he explained in a relatively recent thread he himself started. (Search for his threads in the Studio and Manufacturer's Feedback section.) Paramount HV has been very closed-mouthed about its upcoming offerings, and it was especially gracious of the man to answer at all. (This movie is one he's been asked about over and over again.) I wouldn't expect an answer from him for some time to come, if I were you. (As for release date, I'd think Halloween-season (August, 2003) would be considered by them to be the appropriate time for release of a movie like this. That's been the pattern for the studios the last few years.)

And I must say I think you're expecting a bit much for a film that was such a box-office disappointment in its time. Alternative footage is one thing, but unfinished effects and the like for a film like that . . . .

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
I might be dreaming, but then again, how do you explain the great treatments that Near Dark and Buckaroo Bonzai got? Hell, even Big Trouble in Little China was a 2-disc set! BONUS!!! :)

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Probably...unfortunately there's an equal chance that it'll look like crap, or have one fo the crappy endings.

BTW, I've been taking this for granted, but which ending is on the LD?

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Actually, I wanted to know if Molasar and Glaeken disappear together into the tomb (sad ending), or does Glaeken come back to life (happy ending)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Eric -
If you want to know exactly what happens, you can buy the 5 book set (pentology?) by F. Paul Wilson that begins with "The Keep", although he states:
What are your thoughts about Hollywood adapting your books?
I'm still waiting for it to happen. Michael Mann did something called "The Keep" but you can't say it was an adaptation of my novel.
Other info supposedly can be found in:
Paul Taylor, "Castles in Romania", Sight & Sound, September 1982.
And an interview with Michael Mann about The Keep is at:
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks