What's new

Looking for name to old horror movie? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I saw this old (black and white) film back when I was a kid and it gave me nightmare's for months and now would like to scare my kids with it.

Story plot:
It is about a lady that dresses dead people before the funeral. She finds a nice ring on the finger of a dead lady's body and steals it. Latter the dead lady comes back to haunt her to get the ring back.

If you happen to know what this movie is I would be interested to find it. Perhaps I should put out a reward or something!

Wes

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Wes, I remember a movie with a similar story - but not sure it's the same one you're thinking about. I remember the movie being in color and think it was a story included in a horror trilogy. Maybe "Trilogy of Terror"????

I distinctly remember a young woman taking a ring off the finger of a deceased elderly woman in an apartment. Later the younger woman looks at the old woman's hand and sees a fly on the woman's ring finger.???? Didn't the old woman come back to life, kill the younger woman and get her ring back?

Maybe it was one of those one-hour horror series, but the name eludes me. "The Night Gallery" maybe? It WAS a pretty creepy story.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Wes wrote:
Sounds like:
Tre volti della paura, I (a.k.a. Black Sabbath) directed by Mario Bava (1963)
A trilogy of three horror stories. "The Drop of Water" concerns a nurse who steals a ring off a dead spiritualist, only to have the corpse seek revenge. "The Telephone" features a prostitute who is terrorized by phone calls from a dead client. "The Wurdalak" stars Boris Karloff as a vampire who feeds on the blood of his loved ones.

Commentary on this by "marquis de cinema"
:
"A DROP OF WATER is the most frightening and scary story of Black Sabbath (1963). Its one of the best and perhaps the greatest horror story Mario Bava has ever filmed. In this story, Bava was interested in the idea of a person alone in a dark room. The story is about a nurse who thinks a dead medium patient is after her for stealing a ring. A DROP OF WATER is brilliant in exploring the theme of fear.
A DROP OF WATER contains spine tingling sequences of horror and atmospheric lighting. Jacqueline Pierreux is fabulous as the fearful and guilt conscious nurse, Helen Corey. She plays Helen Corey with believability. The story is ambiguous on whether the ghost is real or is just in Helen Corey's mind. A DROP OF WATER is a true horror tale that plays on the imagination of the audience brilliantly unlike the overrated, Blair Witch Project (1999).
The end suggests that the same events will occur all over again. Filmed by Mario Bava with an expertise in horror and terror. A DROP OF WATER was influenced by Bava's love of Russian literature especially the works of Nikolai Gogol, Fyodor Dostoevsky and also the short stories of Edgar Allen Poe. In the same manner and vein as The Tell Tale Heart. The theme of guilt in A DROP OF WATER shows up in The Whip & the Body(1964) plus Shock (1977)."

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Rex, That must be it. I kind of do remember the name Black Sabbath! I was only 11 or so when I saw it so I don't recall the exact details but this sounds like the show. Do you know is it available in any video format?
Thanks for the help! I'll tell you what, There are two tickets waiting for you under your name at the ticket booth at Link Removed in Salt Lake for any showing.;)
Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I found this at Amazon, and would you know its on DVD in an uncut Italian version to boot!
Black Sabbath
I also found this great reveiw there also about the disc:
Back in '63,when i was 9 years old, mommie dearest dropped me off at our neighborhood theater to see BLACK SABBATH. About 10 minutes after the picture started I mad a frantic dash for the exit; I had never been so frightened by a movie in my life. The movie opened with Boris Karloff introducing three tales of terror. The first one was called "A Drop of Water". It concerned a woman who gets a phone call late at night; she is asked to go prepare a corpse for burial.
When she arrives, she is greeted by a spooked housekeeper who is bababling about a witches, evil and dying while in a trance. The coprse is an awful looking thing that resembles a cheap doll with most of it's substance sucked out; and it grins with an evil, knowing smile. On the corpse's finger there is a ring the woman wants. After she steals it,
the coprse's glare seems to be saying to the woman that "YOU REALLY SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT". During all this a glass of water is overturned and Mario Bava's camera focuses on the dripping water. Once she gets home she is bothered by the sound of dripping water which creeps her out because it sounds like the water in the witches apartment. Then the lights go out. When she catches a glimpse of the corpse in her apartment I ran for the exit as fast as my legs would carry me.
Last night I was able to watch the rest of the movie. Although the movie didn't scarce me as bad this time, I was able to appriciate how well it was made. IMAGE entertainment presents the origianl Italian version with English subtitles. (It's strange to see Boris Karloff dubbed into Italian). The order of the movies have changed. The picuture is widesreened and sharp; audio is excellent. "A Drop of Water" by far the best story of the trio. It's full of
atmospheric mystery with images that are the stuff nightmares are made of and is the best thing Mairo Bava ever did.
There are two other stories which are good but not as effective. The first has a hot looking Italian babe in plauged by threatening phone call. The second has Boris Karloff as a Wurderlock which is a vampire. It's scary with great visuals but a bit slow. But "A Drop of Water" is so good, this DVD would be an excellent choice.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'd say your description is Drop of Water from Black Sabbath to a T. The only issue is your recollection of it being black and white, since Black Sabbath is in color. But that could just be a trick of memory, or a black & white set, or a really faded print.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I love this trio of scary stories, too. Have the DVD. Never got over the old dead hag's death face. This is a lesson to anyone who would steal the ring off a corpse's finger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks