What's new

looking for kit or instruction for complete 5.1 speakers (1 Viewer)

I'm new to the HT thing but I would like to build my own speakers. My thinking is for the price I can make better speakers than I can buy. I'd like to stay with a smalish size for the SAF, also cost is a factor. If I gather components slowly I could see spending 500 - 800 (not including the sub)
I found a good example of the level of instructions I'm looking for at
http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/John1.html
with his ls3/5a. I've also been reading the forums and looked at madisound and PE but I'm realy looking for a recommendation. As soon as I finish our addition we can have our sony 40"xbr delivered (I can't wait). This is where the tv will be going ( http://home.wi.rr.com/dkraemer/46-TV_goes%20here.JPG )

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
davidk

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Check out the Audax Home Theater kit. I built this kit and I love it. The center channel and the l/r speakers are outstanding. The surrounds do their job well. Look on the Audax site for the DIY section.

Thanks for the suggestions, the Audax setup looks like it might work. A little big for the center speaker.

When looking through the parts list for the x-over how critical is it to get the exact components? I'm looking through PE and one of the coils is listed to be 1.2mH 16AWG, PE only has it in 14AWG. Is this something I should search harder for? I can make the correct values for the caps and resistors but I don't think you can combine coils, right?

Another question would be if I were to purchase a comparable "store bought" set like the Audax what could I expect to spend? I realize how something sounds is subjective but will I be able to build something that has better sounds than a "store bought" with the same money?

Again, thanks for putting up with my naive questions.

I put together the parts list for the Audax HT system with stuff from PE, it came to about $625, then I took another look at Madisound and saw they had the whole kit with the x-overs assembled for the same price (doh). This looks like a very nice setup but could anyone recommend a system with smaller speakers? I still have to finish the space, and when I do I'll put together some cardboard boxes to represent the speakers to get the spouse approval. I'd like to be ready with another option if she doesn't like the Audax.

Looking around, most other systems look to be about the same size. Am I asking to much? I don't want to make something that sounds "small". Some of the store-bought stuff is quite a bit smaller, most notably the center speaker. I haven't listened to much of anything yet. I think I could get away with larger L/R speakers, but I'd like to find a smaller center if possible (not quite as tall).

Another observation, the design of the x-over and enclosure seems to be a very esoteric science. One document said to flush-mount the drivers because it made a difference. I don't think I'd be able to tell, it may be the years of power tool use without protection:frowning:

Thanks again.
davidk

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the Audax HT System endorsement. Yes, the center is big enough to ride. But the sound quality is awesome. Clear, balanced, plenty of treble and bass extension, crisp, clear vocals. Highly recommended.

I have a separate 2 channel system with Proac Response 1sc's, which are $2400/pr. The Audax system lacks only in three dimensional soundstage compared to the Proac's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks