What's new

Looking to Upgrade My 5.1 Speakers (1 Viewer)

Dmdordan

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
Hey guys, just a quick question.

I have this older (technology years) Samsung HT-Z320 home theater system that came with the whole 5.1 speaker setup and receiver. Years later I'm looking to finally improve my sound from the crappy plastic speakers to something a bit more meaty. I appreciate a good sounding system, but I'm not an audiophile so I don't feel that I need to go out and separately buy speakers, sub, and receiver, so based on reviews (cnet, amazon) I've been considering this speaker set:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Premium-5-1-Ch-Theater-...

The receiver that came with my samsung system, although pretty basic, meets all of my needs and I'd rather not pay to replace it (all I really need is optical in and a place to plug in speakers). So my question is can I pair up newer speakers like those linked, with my old receiver? The receiver has some goofy clips for plugging in speakers that I don't see on other speakers or receivers I've been checking out. Any input would be appreciated as I know relatively nothing of home audio.

Thanks!
Derek

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No you can not use any other speakers with that HTiB. There is no way to connect a different sub either(there is no way to go from speaker terminal to RCA jack).Even a basic AVR can be had under $150. Accessories4less has(had?) A Denon for $100 + shipping.No more than $400...

Dmdordan

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
schan1269 said:
No you can not use any other speakers with that HTiB. There is no way to connect a different sub either(there is no way to go from speaker terminal to RCA jack). Even a basic AVR can be had under $150. Accessories4less has(had?) A Denon for $100 + shipping. No more than $400...
Ah, that is a shame. At any rate, thank you for letting me know. I guess I'll just have to put some money into building a decent system.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Once you build a real one...You can upgrade as you wish.That is the drawback to HTiB, nothing can be used with anything else...so you start over.

Dmdordan

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
I do see it as something I could get into. I built a PC as a gaming rig and use it as a home theater. I wouldn't be opposed to getting into home audio as an extension of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks