What's new

Looking for budget DVD player (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
At my job I have somehow become the "HT Consultant" to my co-workers. One of them is looking to enter the world of DVD (and eventually surround sound) and has asked my help. She wants to spend about $100 - $150 on a DVD player, DVDA and SACD dont appeal to her so it doesnt need to be universal.

At this price the only thing that comes to mind is the big name brands like Sony, Panasonic and the like. I have only shopped for higher end players so I dont know what brands/models to stay away from in this range. From my understanding just about any player should be fine but I want to confirm that before I give any advice (she is my boss so I dont want to recommend a poor playing unit).

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have bought 2 Panasonic DVD players in the last 4 years and my original Panasonic player is still going strong. I currently own a midrange priced player having paid $179.00 for it two years ago. Panasonic players with the same features as mine are now selling for just around $100.00. It does not support DVD-A or SACD, but I don't really need those features. Check out the Panasonic line, you will not be disappointed. One feature I really like about my current Panasonic player is the ability to plug a subwoofer directly into the player itself. Hope this helps.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I recommend getting a Toshiba SD 3900. I just picked one up myself and so far have been very happy with it. Excellent picture and good sound for only $79 shipped from Amazon. It is also hackable with the remote making it a region free player and can convert PAL discs to NTSC. Here are a list of some of the features below.

*Progressive-scan ColorStream component-video output for ultimate DVD picture quality (with an HD or HD-ready TV)
*Optical and coaxial digital-audio outputs pass Dolby Digital and DTS surround (to compatible AV receiver and speakers)
*MP3- and WMA-CD playback; JPEG photo viewer displays digital photographs and slideshows on your television
*Offers 3:2 pulldown, black-level expansion, multiple picture settings, 16x picture zoom
*3D-DNR (digital noise reduction) reduces random noise in video CDs, poorly mastered DVDs, and zoomed images

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I think Toshiba players are the easiest to set up and have the most intuitive menus. I think Panasonic players are the least intuitive and hardest to set up. I own Toshiba, Onkyo, and Panasonic at the moment. Ease of use may be the biggest factor for a woman , I don't mean to sound chauvanistic , I just know what my wife cares about.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
If she's going to run PS...I'd recommend the JVC XV-N50. Sells for between $100 to $120. If not PS...then the 3900 is a great, great DVD player. Best Buy has (had?) the Panasonic S35 for $75 with a $20 mail in rebate. That's almost free.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Thanks for the all the advice, its excatly what I am looking for. At this point I am probably going to recommend a Toshiba.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks