What's new

Looking for best tube around 2500.00, any advice? (1 Viewer)

Barrett F

Auditioning
My parents have asked me to help them purchase a new tv. They are looking to spend around 2500.00 and only want a tube. I haven't shopped for Tv's in a while and would appreciate any help anyone can give.

They would mainly be watching digital cable and some dvd's.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Either the sony Wegas or the Toshiba flat tubes. ARe they looking for HD ready? If not, they have on HD models for pretty cheap(comparably). Toshiba also has a 34" widescreen tube out there that retails for 2499. Sony has a 4:3 tube in the 40" size that goes for close to $3000.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I dont know how geometry picky they are, but the flat tubes are known for their geometry issues. I personally like the Hitachi 36udx10s. It is a curved screen so you dont have any of the geometry issues (glare might be more of a problem though) and it has a VERY nice picture. I compared this with the Sony xbr450 yesterday at CC ($600.00-800.00 diference) and liked the Hitachi picture better. It only has one component input though which may or may not be an issue. If you are dead set on a flat tube, I would recomend the Sony 2nd. The Sony and the Hitachi, from all the research I have done (quite a bit!) seem to generate the most consistent and positive feedback. If you want a bigscreen though I cant give any suggestions as I have only shoped 4:3. Good Luck!

Barrett F

Auditioning
I have heard the same thing, but I haven't had a chance to really do much field research. I have been hearing good things about the Hitachi also, who carries them nowadays? Yeah the component inputs are not necessary at all for them.

Thanks

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
The Hitachi can be found at Circuit City and Sears. I really wish this set had 2 component inputs though. That would be the sealer for me. The Hitachi supposedly handles a analog and digital cable signal better than the Sony. I wish I could tell you why, but I would give a poor description. Search around on the other forums (hometheaterspot.com avsforum.com) as well as this one and you will find some info on this. So if cable is priority, which it sounds like it is, mark another vote for Hitachi.
If one component video is no big deal this is a easy decision for you in my mind. The fact that the Hitachi is $600.00-800.00 cheaper is very atractive as well. And as long as they dont mind a curved screen (this is actually more of an advantage in my mind considering the current market of flat tube displays with the geometry issues. maybe in the next generation or two they might get it right, but it is not quite there yet) I would think this is your top candidate. But only you can decide what is important and what is not.
Then again maybe the geometry issues wont be a big deal to your parents in which case it becomes a harder decision, except for the fact of the better cable production on the Hithachi. I still think your best bet would be the Hitachi.
Sorry if I am rambling and confusing you, I am thinking out loud! I am having a hard time making a decision on this myself as I would really like 2 component inputs and the cheaper swithboxes dont have a high enough band width to accomodate 720p and 1080i.
;) Good Luck!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the Hitachi is 600-800 cheaper but only has one component input on it, yet you like the picture more, you could spend that 600-800 you saved on a new receiver with component switching. Just a thought.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Good thought! I am looking to get a h/k 520. The problem is it only has two component inputs for switching and sometime within the next year I will have 3 component sources. The cheaper switchboxes like the jvc are great for 480p with the 30hz switch for component, but will not be enough for 720p and 1080i. Decisions..Decisions...

Thanks for the ideas. Any other suggestions? I can always just manually switch sources which would not be that big a deal, but I would rather not. Who knows though, maybe in the next year or two better quality switchers will come out for cheapre once hdtv becomes more popular. What do you think?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Huh? A component switchbox? Where can I find one? I thought that I needed a receiver to do component switiching. If there is a box that will help, as I have too many things I want to use component with(XBOX, GCUBE, PS2, DVD player, High def box ) The Hi-def(when I get it) will go straight to the TV. Right now looking only to use Svideo on most until I get a new receiver and this dandy switch,

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Jvc JX-s111. I beleive etronics.com has them for $75.00-80.00. It has 3 component inputs, and other inputs as well. This might be ideal for you. Do a search on this forum and you will find some info on it. Looks cool! I also had a guy email me today with a personal review as I might get one. He likes it alot and claims there is no picture loss.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Barrett

The first generation of 40 inch HD ready tube sets, the XBR 700 is starting to be cleared out to make ready for the new model. In the next few months, you should probably be able to get the original model for about $2,500 delivered. This set has received rave reviews.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks