What's new

Looking for a simple surround sound receiver..help please (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
I've been building my home theater for about a year or so now. I have a Dell 3200MP DLP projector with a Bravo D1 dvd player. Everything is projected onto a flat white wall in my basement. For me that is good enough. It continues to impress me at times. For audio I only have a pair of KLH 3 way towers that have 15" woofers in each. Theyre hooked up to a Sony STR-DE135 stereo receiver. It worked well and provided enough bass with some clarity too. It also worked well because I run music through the system all the time.
Anyways, I built a pair of Adire Audio HE10.1 speakers last summer that I used for my electronic drums. I'm still in college, and considering the projector was less than half of what I spent last summer, you'll realize I pretty much spent all of the money I made that summer. This summer I want to change that and start investing, but I don't want these Adire Speakers to go to waste and continue listening to stereo tracks that are supposed to be surround. So could you all please suggest a few 4.1 or, preferably, 5.1-6.1 surround sound receivers that are within the price range of 200-300? Don't convince me to but also what are some features of models that might cost only $100 more. Is ebay my best bet? Thanks. Matt

P.S. - Since the KLH speakers have the 15" woofers in them, am I still going to want to use those as the mains of the surround system even though the sound quality of my Adire DIY speakers are so much better?

David Judah

Screenwriter
All of the major Japanese receiver manufacturers have something in that price range. Of the ones I have experience with, the Yamahas and Denons are the best, IMO. I think the Denon #'s are the AVR484 and AVR1604. Yamaha has a new model the RXV450.

If you want to try something different, Panasonic has the SA-XR50 for between $250-$300. It uses Texas Instrument's Equibit digital amplifier which has garnered some high praise from some enthusiasts on AVS and Audio Asylum. It is unique in that if you are running a digital source in, it stays digital until the very end.

There is no D/A conversion in the traditional sense and the amps have been described as very powerful and very clean. Since alot of folks have been saying these Panasonics have been outperforming even their mid-line receivers, I would expect it to outperform most everything in the budget range.

Good luck,
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks