What's new

Help help help please!!!! I have no idea how to go about putting together a home theatre system. (1 Viewer)

jrg1

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Greenlee
Help please. So my problem is that I'm on a $300 - $400 budget and I'm trying to get a quality surround sound system for my girlfriends Christmas present. She's already bought all of my presents which is crazy but what's even crazier is that I snuck a peek and saw she got me a xbox360 with kinect, 4 games, and a bunch of other things that are really f-ing awesome. So my point is I need to step up big for her.
From what I understand the HTIB systems are not the best way to go quality wise. So I started looking into putting a system together but I don't know the differences between an expensive receiver or a cheap one , whether or not 5.1 or 7.1 are worth it, and well I just don't know much at all about these things.
Im simple about requirements but she's one of the pickiest people I know so I want to try and find the best one for her. We have a small apartment so she's doesn't want a huge set up, needs to have towers for the rear speakers ( she doesn't want them mounted to the wall), she wants to have a receiver/blu ray player (not a deal breaker though if that's not a good way to go) and here's the kicker she wants it as wireless as possible. Not sure if all thats possible in my price range but need some advice so I can figure out how realistic all of this is. And if a HTIB system is the closest fit then I'm not opposed to it.
If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Ps. I'm also considering a sound bar because we are moving into a house in like 8 months and she kinda mentioned that shed rather just put our money together then and just go in on a more expensive system unless I could find a good deal. So if you have any recommendations for those that would be great.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If I were you...
Buy a decent AVR under $200.
Buy a decent pair of speakers for another $200.
Wait to finish the rest once you move. $400 for "all of it" isn't enough. There is already a thread started where the guy is "as inexpensive as possible" and not buying junk...and he's at $518*. More than likely he'll end up at $585.
*the $518 breaks down to...$110 for an Onkyo from A4L. Sony 5.0 for $215. WD streaming device for $80. Dayton sub for $100.
Leave out the streaming and you can match his for $430. Change up the speakers a tad and you can drop it another $100.
Look up on Amazon...
Sony...
SSF5000
SSB3000
SSB1000
SSCR3000
Those Sony are the cheapest there is...without being junk.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree with Sam. DO NOT buy a HTIB system. Buy a decent receiver and the 2 front speakers now, then add to the system later. 2 good choices are: 1) Best Buy has the Yamaha RX-V373 for $249. Walmart.com has the Onkyo RC360 for $299.
And did I read it correctly that your GF wants tower speakers for the surrounds? Talk about a bad idea and a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.