What's new

Longstreet: The Complete Series Coming 12/1/17 (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Just curious, have you watched any yet. Do you have an opinion to share? Again, just curious?

I finally watched them all.
On the whole, it’s a ‘conventional’ investigation series and only actor James Franciscus makes the episodes enjoyable.
Apart from the pilot, find my top ten:

1. The Way of the Intercepting Fist
  2. One in the Reality Column
  3. Spell Legacy Like Death
  4. The Shape of Nightmares
  5. Wednesday's Child
  6. "I See", Said the Blind Man
  7. Eye of the Storm
  8. Please Leave the Wreck for Others to Enjoy
  9. Through Shattering Glass
  10. The Sound of Money Talking

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ep. 7 - The Shape of Nightmares

A young widow asks Mike to look into the apparent suicide of her husband, who died in prison. Mike enters the prison to investigate, and discovers evidence that he was actually murdered. A convict that Mike had sent to jail is now the "Head of the Yard", running the other inmates like a mob-boss from inside the prison walls, intent on getting revenge on Longstreet. Mike must use all his wits to solve the murder and stay alive.

Dana Elcar (McGuyver), Paul Koslo, William Smith

An unusual twist to the standard 7o;s "prison" episode, Longstreet goes to prison to investigate a death. This is played well by all involved, but is probably the most unbelievable episode I have seen to date. Just has no believability for me at all.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ep. 8 - The Girl With the Broom

A Rembrandt painting - the Girl with the Broom - is stolen from the home of the wealthy Franklin family, outside the house which a ski mask is found probably belonging to the thief. Duke assigns Mike the case despite the objection of Dr. Kenneth Franklin, the Franklin family patriarch, because of Mike's disability in association with locating something that people enjoy because of how it looks.

Tim O'Connor (Buck Rogers), Shelly Fabares (One Day At a Time), Nan Martin (The Drew Carey Show), Michael Bell, Melendy Britt, Val Bisoglio

Family turmoil and secrets. Great cast and nice to see that Mike doesn't always get along with those he is doing work for.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ep. 9 - Wednesday's Child

With Mike by her side, Nikki purchases a broken antique sewing machine at an auction for $35 that she hopes he will help her refurbish. Almost immediately after they get the machine to Mike's, a man comes and holds Nikki at knife-point, interested in one specific part of the machine - a drawer to its cabinet that Nikki left at the repair shop to get fixed - he holding her hostage until he gets that drawer. Because of the threat to her life, Mike decides not to inform the police, especially as the man seemed rational one minute and totally erratic the next. Mike does however enlist Duke and Li's help.

Tim McIntire (Rich Man: Poor Man), Gene Evans (always thought he was the inspiration for Yukon Cornelius), Marion Ross (Happy Days, Brooklyn Bridge), Bruce Lee (Green Hornet), Paul Fix (The Rifleman, To Kill A Mockingbird)

Next to the pilot, probably my favorite episode so far. I like how Mike has his team and they all work together to try and recover Nikki. The amazing guest cast just elevates this episode, McIntire has never been more psychotic and unpredictable. A truly excellent episode!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ep. 10 - "I See", Said The Blind Man

Walking down an otherwise deserted street at night with Pax, Mike hears a woman being attacked. The woman and Pax, getting away from Mike, are both stabbed by the attacker, the woman fatally, Pax critically. The woman was a cocktail waitress named Mavis Ruston, who was on her way home from work, and was not robbed or otherwise assaulted. Mike is angry at the situation: being present during the stabbings but not being able to do anything about them or being able to provide any concrete evidence, about which the media are having a field day. Mike wants to help solve the murder to prove all his naysayers wrong, who include in this case the media, the police and most importantly the murderer who outright dismissed him as a threat when he saw that Mike is blind.

George Murdock (Barney Miller), Lee Montgomery, Bruce Lee (Green Hornet), Bert Freed (Prolific guest star), Darwin Joston (Assault on Precinct 13)

Pax attacked and there was nothing Mike could do. Overhearing what sounded like a murder led to the attack on Pax. Mike believes the police have the wrong man and sets out to track down the "invisible" killer. Interesting use of sound to describe and locate the killer. 2nd solid episode. Again great use of the regular cast. Everything seems to be coming together.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ep. 11 - This Little Piggy Went to Marquette

Jordan Anderson, a trucking company owner, may make a $500,000 insurance claim for thirty-two missing "pigs", better known as truck trailers, each worth $15,000, unless they can be located, a case Duke has assigned to Mike. Anderson, who is in somewhat ill health with a serious heart condition, is trying not to let that slow him down. For some reason, Mike is disliked by Anderson's much younger artist wife, Kim Anderson, which bothers him. Someone who seems to figure prominently in the case is Ward Blakeman, Anderson's financial controller, who is supposed to be taking the day off, but who could otherwise be missing as a victim if he stumbled upon the reason for the missing pigs.

Barry Sullivan (The Immortal, Night Gallery), Michael C. Strong (Star Trek), Madlyn Rhue (Star Trek, Murder She Wrote, Fame), Lloyd Gough (Green Hornet)

Theft of trailer's is what brings Mike into this case. Red herrings abound (almost feels like a Perry Mason episode) and you almost begin to suspect the client in this one. Not as strong as the last two, but still so much better than some I have viewed. The guest cast really sold this one.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Finally finished this series. It has been in my rotation and now that the network season has ended, I have been able to find time to dig back in to classic and not so classic series. I have fond memories of watching this show while I was in high school. I have found these prints to be serviceable. It has been great to view these again. I am glad to have these episodes.
Some parting thoughts are below.

1.12 - There Was A Crooked Man - Murray Hamilton, Mills Watson, Rafael Campos - Mike used to deliver a horses ransom. Mike uses his memory to retrace his steps and unravel the mystery.

1.13 - The Old Team Spirit - Leif Erickson, Ed Lauter - Mike old mentor is involved in a robbery Mike is investigating. Mike reminds his former colleague of his purpose. A redemption story.

1.14 - The Long Way Home - Susan Oliver, Rosemary DeCamp, David Huddleston, John McLiam, Skip Homeier - Undercover Mike trying to find out who killed a handicapped employee.

1.15 - Let The Memories Be Happy Ones - Rosemary Forsyth, Milton Selzer, Karl Swenson, Ed Lauter - Mike gets closure as he meets his wife's sister, who loses her husband while visiting Mike. Good emotional content.

1.16 - Survival Times Two - Neville Brand - Fishing trip in the bayou, Duke is bitten by a poisonous snake. While trying to reach civilization, they are pursued by an angry cajun. Excellent episode,

1.17 - Eye Of The Storm - Claude Akins, Phillip Pine, James Callahan, Colin Wilcox, Jonathon Goldsmith - Excellent cast in a version of a locked room mystery. People are trapped in a diner where Mike is supposed to meet an unnamed individual. Excellent character piece.

1.18 - Please Leave The Wreck For Others To Enjoy - John McIntire - He returns to the role he played in the pilot. He is brought in when Nikki is the victim of a hit and run and Mike retreats in self pity and recriminations. Another good character driven episode which gives Franciscus another showcase episode.

1.19 - Anatomy Of A Mayday - Jeremy Slate, Kathie Browne, Arch Johnson, Harold J. Stone - Is Mike's friend a victim or still alive? Good episode.

1.20 - Sad Songs And Other Considerations - John Colicos, Brooke Bundy, Richard Anderson, Jeanne Cooper - Nurse deals with guilt after an accidental fire kills three patients. Excellent turn by Colicos as a violin virtuoso who is terminal.

1.21 - Field of Honor - Robert Horton, Bernie Casey, Robert Mandan - Saints football clip used as Mikes friend is injured as payback for failing to throw the championship game. Mike convinces his friend to cooperate with authorities.

1.22 - Through Shattering Glass - Kenneth Tobey, Lee Meriwether - Another case of Mike going undercover to catch a killer.

1.23 - The Sound of Money Talking - Peter Haskell, Luke Askew, Walter Burke, Vic Tayback, Herb Vigran, Bing Russell - A robbery gone wrong. Nikki was in love with the inside man.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I recently bought Longstreet The Complete series New off EBay. I am wondering if I got a bootleg set. The case is Black, not clear. There are no episode lists on the inside cover. All other VEI sets I have bought have the episodes listed on the inside cover. The set I received only has the outside cover, there is nothing on the other (inside) side. Anyone who has Longstreet can they post if the inside has the List of the Episides along with the air dates?
Thanks!
Robert

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I recently bought Longstreet The Complete series New off EBay. I am wondering if I got a bootleg set. The case is Black, not clear. There are no episode lists on the inside cover. All other VEI sets I have bought have the episodes listed on the inside cover. The set I received only has the outside cover, there is nothing on the other (inside) side. Anyone who has Longstreet can they post if the inside has the List of the Episides along with the air dates?
Thanks!
Robert
Purchased my Longstreet set direct from VEI a year or two ago. Standard-width clear case. Insert is blank on the inside. No episode titles/guide or information.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Purchased my Longstreet set direct from VEI a year or two ago. Standard-width clear case. Insert is blank on the inside. No episode titles/guide or information.

Why would that release be blank on the inside insofar as titles and synopses?

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks!
Robert

I also bought Longstreet direct from VEI when it first came out about 6 years ago, clear case and no episode info on the inside of the label. It was unusual because a lot of the other releases I bought from them around the same time (Dan August, Magician, The Immortal) all had the episode synopses on the inside.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I also bought Longstreet direct from VEI when it first came out about 6 years ago, clear case and no episode info on the inside of the label. It was unusual because a lot of the other releases I bought from them around the same time (Dan August, Magician, The Immortal) all had the episode synopses on the inside.

So did Petrocelli and Hotel.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1688626491024.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks