What's new

Longstreet: The Complete Series Coming 12/1/17 (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
My set arrived today and it looks really nice. Complete and in good condition, along the lines of the Immortal. Four discs, 6 episodes a pop, but still really glad to have Longstreet in such nice shape.

What do you think of the prints?
Does the picture quality good?
Thanks.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Longstreet looks very good, noticeably better than two of my all-time favorites that VEI released, Cannon and Barnaby Jones. If you bought VEI's release of The Immortal, it's on a par with that, and full-length to boot. VEI has their flaws, but no one else is releasing this stuff, and Longstreet is a nice series to own.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've held back for now on "The Immortal" and "The Magician" because my enthusiasm level for buying lesser titles on blind buys isn't what it was several years ago, but I'll be getting "Longstreet" sooner than later, in part because I've always enjoyed Marlyn Mason in many late 60s and early 70s guest shots and this was her only regular series.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
VEI has their flaws, but no one else is releasing this stuff, and Longstreet is a nice series to own.

So, IOW, better it be released this way than not at all? If that's what you're saying, then that's how I felt about M Squad-- picture quality notwithstanding, it's still a great series to have.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
In the case of Cannon and Barnaby Jones, two shows I absolutely love, yes - it was better to have them at all. I actually meant to commend VEI for their releases of the Immortal and Longstreet. The prints look really good and are full-length. I am surprised by the quality compared to other things I have purchased from them. Assumedly it's all about what CBS would give them for their license fee. But the Immortal and Longstreet are not all comparable to M Squad, which was pretty butchered, no pun intended. <_<

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
p.s. and in fairness to VEI, their release of Cannon looked no worse than CBS's release of the first three seasons, and VEI didn't;t make me pay a gazillion dollars per half season. So whether your fave is Cannon or M Squad, yes, something is way better than nothing.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Received my copy of Longstreet and Special Unit 2 this past Friday. Checked out the Pilot - great looking prints with excellent color even for to many episodes on the disc. So glad to finally own this. I think VEI did a great job. Kudos for both releases.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes it is that way.

I was surprised to see Martine Beswick in the pilot in the Nikki role. There wasn't anything wrong with her but she would have been wrong for the series since her larger than life quality would have overshadowed Franciscus completely. Marlyn Mason is much better for the role of concerned assistant but lets Franciscus still be front and center.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I received my copies of Longstreet and The Immortal today...although I own a lot of their releases, this is the first time I have ordered directly from VEI...quite impressed with their service, including them sending a delivery notice email to me...the free shipping certainly helped also during their sale...

Longstreet looks good as previously reported, but not nearly as great as The Immortal, which looks and sounds brilliant...Longstreet's colors are not as vibrant and authentic as The Immortal, and Longstreet has overly dark contrast that you might need to adjust at times...audio is good too, but I needed to really boost the volume on my theater sound...both have Dolby treated "Stereo" audio...I don't want to give the impression that Longstreet isn't a good treatment on DVD...it most definitely is, being unedited too... and only suffering in comparison to The Immortal, which is truly outstanding in PQ and audio, despite being crammed on only 3 discs...it looks as good as most CBS released series...wow...

Petrocelli's Susan Howard shows up on The Immortal's disc one episode "The Legacy"...her hair is shorter here, what a stunning girl...

Longstreet's pilot telefilm is something of a nice Naked City season one reunion show...John McIntire shows up to inspire and mentor James Franciscus just as he did 11 years earlier... once again with executive producer Stirling Silliphant's series pilot, also written by Silliphant...John McIntire's longtime real life wife, Jeanette Nolan, is also in the cast...working together again, much as they recently had on The Virginian for almost 3 seasons...and any show with (Peter) Mark Richman is a must have for me!

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Glad to hear that The Immortal looks so good. If I have been a good boy, that one should be under the tree, so I still have a bit of a wait. Nice to have something to look forward to.

I have only viewed the pilot on Longstreet. I was able to convince my wife to watch by telling her he has a white german shepherd seeing-eye dog (she is a huge dog lover). She immediately pointed out that he was sighted. I told her to wait for it (just like Radar). SHe was easily caught up in his story and gave the episode a thumbs up and said she would like to see more. That was the response I was looking for. Hopefully we can view a few more during this month once reruns kick in.

She wasn't a fan of The Fugitive, so I don't know if she'll want to run with Ben Richards. I'll try to get her to watch the pilot and maybe she will enjoy that one also. I'm sure my son will enjoy it.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
A very nice publicity photo of James Franciscus and Bruce Lee from the Longstreet pilot telefilm...

MV5BMzc1MDU1NTQ4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg5NDc0OTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1491,1000_AL_.jpg

Below is a recent photo of John Franciscus, the elder brother of the late James Franciscus...he is pleased that VEI has just released Longstreet on DVD and that the fine book on James' earlier series Mr. Novak are helping to recognize his brother's show business and personal legacy...John contributed his memories of his brother's life and career to author Chuck Harter for the new Mr. Novak book...James Franciscus having passed away tragically at the age of 57 from cancer in 1990...

24232036_1914356311915366_7276662008244246418_n.jpg

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I just ordered my set from Amazon US. I will get back to you for a rundown about the prints quality.​

So finally, I got my set and I watched the good pilot and the first three regular episodes.
The prints are not restored it shows on the screen:

satured color (as opposed to neutral and well-balanced color)
blurry master shots
unsharped titles credits during the end credits.

On the positive note, they kept the original Paramount end vignettes and the episodes are watchable.

One episode entitled “One in the Reality Column” is the companion piece to
a season 6 episode of Mission: Impossible entitled “Blind” because of a particular scene (dementia scene)
and the use of the same composer (Benny Golson).

The “Blind” imdb file
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0649211/reference

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks