What's new

Longer Uncut Version of "Saw"? (1 Viewer)

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I hadn't bought the original (theatrical) DVD release of Saw or the "Uncut" version which came out when the sequal hit theaters...I went to Border's during lunch today and noticed yet another version of Saw. It was on sale for $14.99, so I decided to pick it up. Now here's the thing...I'm pretty sure it's just a repackaging of the Saw: Uncut Edition released last Fall. The back cover lists a 2006 copyright, so I know it's newer than the previous version.

This one is also called Saw: Uncut Edition, but the sticker across the top of the box says "Saw 2-Disc Special Edition Version 2".

I can't find anything about this release on-line. No announcement from LionsGate, no cover art. Nothing.

The cover art is basically the same as the previous "Uncut" version, but it is packaged inside a standard black Amaray keepcase with the extra panel for the 2nd disc. There is no "bag of blood" in this one, instead the artwork is accented with red shadows (which looks really nice, by-the-way). All of the bonus features appear to be identical to those found on the other "Uncut" disc, but here's the kicker: the run-time on the one I just bought is 3 minutes longer (103 minutes) than the theatrical version and previous "uncut" disc (which reportedly only added about 30 seconds to the film).

Weird.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Interesting. I think this was just repackaged and the run-time has been updated to what it should have been all along.

It looks like both the theatrical and original "uncut" versions have the approximate run time of 100 minutes printed on the back cover and this new packaging has been corrected.

Thanks.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
If I'm not mistaken, the uncut version is actually a little bit shorter, is it not? I thought I read that somewhere.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Yep. According to the link that RyanAn posted it breaks down like this...

# R1 America - (Lion's Gate) - No Cuts - "R-Rated US Theatrical" 103.02 mins (NTSC).

# R1 America - (Lion's Gate - Uncut Edition) - No Cuts - "Uncut Edition" 102.40 mins (NTSC). This is different to the previous 'Unrated' releases in that it has two scenes missing (See disc details above for more info and thanks to Tromabilia for the info). Missing Scenes:
- Lawrence tells Adam that if he doesn't get help, he's going to bleed to death.
- Adam calls out to Lawrence twice. Lawrence turns. Adam asks Lawrence if he's going to be okay. Lawrence replies, "I . . . I wouldn't lie to you."

Also: Director James Wan has taken the opportunity to remove the Metal songs (including 'Bite The Hand That Bleeds' over the end credits) that were originally added as a 'marketing' decision. A couple of scenes are trimmed (see cut details below) but the extra gore from the other Unrated versions is here.

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
Rhoq,

I believe you answered your own question.

I'm pretty sure it's just a repackaging of the Saw: Uncut Edition released last Fall. but the sticker across the top of the box says "Saw 2-Disc Special Edition Version 2".

Since the Uncut version was originally packaged in a creative bloodpack case, then once the novety wore off it was repackaged in a standard case, which is what you purchased. That is why it is listed as Version 2.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
So there are actually three different cuts of "Saw"? Rhoq's latest post only explicitly lists two, but makes it sound like there are:

1. The original, R-rated theatrical cut.
2. An unrated, extended version, which includes extra blood and gore.
3. An unrated director's cut, which retains the extra blood and gore from (2) but excises other scenes, and changes the music.

Is this correct?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Then what of the "previous unrated release" alluded to in Rhoq's post?

Edit: I just realized I misread that. It mentions "previous unrated releases"--plural.

I assume this means that there is only a single unrated version of Saw, and that the verbiage in question is intended to emphasize that the absense of footage from that unrated version (compared to its theatrical counterpart) is in contrast with the typical practice for unrated releases, which is to include all of the original footage and then some.

Do I have it right now?

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

I believe you are corrext. It goes like this I think.

1. The original, R-rated theatrical cut. - This is what was released in theaters in the US
2. An unrated, extended version, which includes extra blood and gore. - This is what was in theater in the rest of the world
3. An unrated director's cut, which retains the extra blood and gore from (2) but excises other scenes, and changes the music. - What the director wanted to release in theaters. It was released as the 2 disc version in the US

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

I believe you are corrext. It goes like this I think.

1. The original, R-rated theatrical cut. - This is what was released in theaters in the US
2. An unrated, extended version, which includes extra blood and gore. - This is what was in theater in the rest of the world
3. An unrated director's cut, which retains the extra blood and gore from (2) but excises other scenes, and changes the music. - What the director wanted to release in theaters. It was released as the 2 disc version in the US

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks