What's new

Long Shot? Anyone Know How to turn off the Protection Center in NAV 2006? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Tried to fix some things today and in the process managed to undue the "turned off" setting of Protection Center. Can't find that option now for some reason.

As usual, all help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
To turn off Norton Protection Center alerts
Start your Norton program.
Click on Options > Norton Protection Center.
Under Alert Options:
Uncheck Show AntiVirus alerts.
Uncheck Show Firewall alerts.
Uncheck Show Windows Updates alerts.
Click OK.
Close the Norton program.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Patrick

Spent about an hour "chatting" with Symantec tech support the other day. As suggested by Patrick, you can't actually turn off the Protection Center. It took till the 3rd tech person at Symantec to tell me that. The best you can do is to uncheck ALL the blocks.

What had me fooled was that when I first installed NAV 2006, there was a red mark in the NPC icon, which I took to mean that it was turned off. The tech told me that the red mark indicated there was a problem, not that it was turned off.

This appears to be the case. With everything unchecked, the icon has no red mark, but NPC is not doing anything (but making my PC take longer to boot). That is the main reason I was hoping it could be turned off.

Again, thanks to Patrick.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i have done all of that and still have that norton bubble in my task tray. it is very annoying. anyone know how to get rid of that bubble?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Diallo B

After talking to Symantec, and trying everything possible, I am convinced that there is no way to eliminate the NPC bubble from appearing in your task tray. I believe I have had every variation possible but you simply can't separate NPC from NAV. I would very much like to completely disable NPC, and, like you, eliminate the bubble from my task tray, but I really don't think it is possible. If you find out differently, please let us know.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought BitDefender.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I was going to say to just remove it from your computer and get AVG free and some other program to block adware, malware, etc.

Parker

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

That's what I did...after a MAJOR botched up install..I got my money back from Norton and wiped it clean off...now AVG-Free..Ad-Aware, Spybot, and ZoneAlarm is all I have....PC starts up much faster too.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
:emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks